Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Pic Heavy Ride Report - MS to Bella Coola & Back 11,000 Miles Heat, Hail & Bears

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2015, 10:54 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,931 Likes on 2,288 Posts

Originally Posted by Raxus
RJ if your wanting the backrest organizer this is what I want to get momma sometime. Not affiliated with them in any way just think this is a great idea. It also converts to a purse when off the TG for the OL!

http://www.bonemountain.com/

Rax
I've seen those, they look very useful!

Originally Posted by Fearless (old nickname)
Thank you for the ride! please travel safely fearless
Thank you.

Originally Posted by rwhgme
We have spent a lot of time around Mt. St. Helens. Would love to see the Lassen Peak area! Can you guess what the depth was on some of those dry lake beds?

I could not say...don't look deep, but they are so large even 20-30 feet would not look like much.

Originally Posted by rjaykay
Enjoying 'riding along' and looking fwd to your next post. What a great trip!
Cool, glad you are enjoying it!

Originally Posted by cochon
Every day, after I read your post, I go to my road atlas and follow along with you folks.
That's cool! I should do a better job of identifying what roads we take.

Me too cochon. also Google street-view to see the same asphalt, trees, lakes....

Kevin, I was born and riaised in Miami, Flatland, Florida. But dischargered from the Army in 1968 in the northwest and traveled those same roads...loved those mountains/hils, that's why my DW and I have lived in and around mountains for the majority of the last 48 years.

Thanks for posting
PS: Mary is sure doing a fantastic job with that camera.
I will convey your comment to Mary.

Yeah, where we live we have little hills, so we get a bit of elevation changes when riding locally. But to get to any mountains, the closest are East TN which is about 8 hours or NW Arkansas, which is about 7 hours. I wonder if I would ever get any work done if I lived near some mountains!

Originally Posted by sprinkman
Kevin We have been there back in 2006. I think it was Gold Beach we took a jet boat ride up the river. I think they had 4,6 and 8 hr. rides. was fun and something different. Be careful and have fun We are all enjoying your ride. Gene
Thank you! Glad you're enjoying.

Originally Posted by KJB
Can't imagine why. Thank you for the daily entertainment.
Yeah, it takes a while. But besides posting for others to see, it is our own documentation also. We went on trips for years, and took pics, but never did any Ride Reports. Now, if we look back thru the pics from those trips, memory of what pic was where, etc. gets blurred.

With the pics we take on trips now, we put each days in its' own identified folder, I keep a daily journal, and that is what I do the Ride Reports from. Then Mary & I can look thru the ride reports and relive the adventures.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 07-31-2015, 01:46 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor

Day 13

When we left the motel, we went down the street to the Back Woods Home Magazine office. Did not get any pics, but met some of the folks that put out the Magazine. Chatted about the history of the mag for a bit. We are long-time readers, so it was very interesting for us. Nice folks.

Leaving out of Gold Beach it is overcast, but still amazing views!

Most of the pics from the bike are while we are riding...for this one I pulled over and stopped.

All day long we were riding into the clouds and....

...every now and then out of the clouds.

We stopped at numerous places along the coast today...taking pics, enjoying the views...

...of which there was no shortage.

We stopped at Tahkenitch Lake for lunch. Picnic tables right down next to the lakeshore. Beautiful view.

There was no shortage...

...great riding roads.

More in next post-

Old 07-31-2015, 02:11 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor

Day 13 Continued.

And another....

If you like curves, elevation changes, corkscrews, click on this pic to make it bigger, as far as you can see, it is twisting & heading downhill!

Then you throw in views like this, and I was amazed we did not see a bunch of bikes on this road.

Fantastic everywhere we look!

Looking back....

...and looking forward.

We pulled into a small town to get some gas. Next door to the gas station is a huge consignment store. Mary got a "good deal" on a few things and they are shipping them home for us.

Next door to the consignment knick knack store is a Cannabis Dispensary. We ventured in. In Oregon it has been legal for medicinal purposes for awhile, and recently became legal for recreational use. The dispensary cannot sell for recreational uses until the fall, but they are gearing up for it.

Was a bit of a culture shock for us.

Another pic of the coast before pulling into the city of Newport, Oregon.

We took all day to go about 200 miles.

We stopped in Newport tonight. Tomorrow we turn east.

Old 07-31-2015, 06:38 AM
Fearless (old nickname)
Road Master
Received 115 Likes on 103 Posts

Thank you for the coastal pics I have never been there I have now. By the way are you going to stop by Sturgis? If so good enjoy the rally!!!

Old 07-31-2015, 10:19 AM
elPrez
Stellar HDF Member
Received 448 Likes on 313 Posts

All I can say is THANK YOU so much for the excellent reporting!
We haven't been able to take a bike vacation for the past couple of years and we've really missed it.
Mary is a most excellent photographer!
Stay safe and continued enjoyment of the journey.
elPrez

Old 07-31-2015, 10:51 AM
rjaykay
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DK Custom
..... I wonder if I would ever get any work done if I lived near some mountains!
That's why I don't get much done. My signature photo is typical of our surroundings. Projects will have to wait till winter

Old 08-01-2015, 11:59 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor

Originally Posted by Fearless (old nickname)
Thank you for the coastal pics I have never been there I have now. By the way are you going to stop by Sturgis? If so good enjoy the rally!!!
No Sturgis, SD this year.

Originally Posted by elPrez
All I can say is THANK YOU so much for the excellent reporting!
We haven't been able to take a bike vacation for the past couple of years and we've really missed it.
Mary is a most excellent photographer!
Stay safe and continued enjoyment of the journey.
elPrez
Thank you!

That's why I don't get much done. My signature photo is typical of our surroundings. Projects will have to wait till winter
I can understand that!

Old 08-02-2015, 02:17 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor

Day 14

We left out of Newport on the coast of Oregon and turned east on the 20, headed toward Burns.

Our 300 mile day turned into a 400+ mile day...but more on that later.

Right off the bat, the road, weather & scenery were great!

Just a perfect day for riding.

None of these "bad boyz" returned our waves. :laugh:

Looking back, they were long gone in 30 seconds as we rolled east.

The pilot in this bi-plane was having some fun!

Rolled thru Lebanon, it is a retro town...

...before the town ran out we stopped at this Napa.

For the last day the engine has been idling a bit rough. Not plug wires or plugs, so I picked up some Sea Foam and dumped it in the tank. Within a few minutes it smoothed out. Must have been some bad gas from somewhere on the coast.

Dennis, the owner of the Baja Bug, in the pic above, own Teds Rats & Rods. Talked to him for awhile. This is a pic of his wifes' '53 ****** Jeep. Very cool.

This is a pic of his other "Bug". Totally re-worked with a V-8 up front!

Day 14 continued in the next post.

Old 08-02-2015, 02:37 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor

Day 14 continued...

Leaving out of Lebanon, we're still on the 20, and the road just gets better!

When riding "good" roads, I generally just putt along in the straights, but when I see a sign like this....

...it translates in my brain to, Twist The Throttle! ...

...it means, We're entering the Fun Zone! So glad the TG loves the sweepers and twistys!

Stopped to get some pics of Mt. Washington.

Beautiful emerald green lake as we are getting closer to Sisters, OR.

This pic confused me a bit at first...no windshield, then I realized this is one of those pics where Mary puts the camera way up high, above my helmet.

As we rolled thru Sisters, OR, we saw a park and decided it would be a good place to stop and eat our lunch. We went to a picnic table near a stream...

...as we were eating, we realized that the pollen was coming down pretty steady (that's what you see on the table). By the time we finished, we were both sneezing, pretty much non-stop. We didn't stay long.

That's all for now. Will continue/conclude Day 14 tomorrow.

Old 08-02-2015, 10:07 AM
acunn1
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Smart Car

Kevin you mentioned the little smart car was shorter than your TG, not only that but the engine in the smart car is smaller than the TG. ..

Quick Reply: Pic Heavy Ride Report - MS to Bella Coola & Back 11,000 Miles Heat, Hail & Bears