Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Pic Heavy Ride Report - MS to Bella Coola & Back 11,000 Miles Heat, Hail & Bears

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2015, 12:47 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,931 Likes on 2,288 Posts

A tour with Fuzzy continued!

There is no denying this is a fun road!

Looking behind us....

...and a few seconds later looking ahead of us!

Coasting down the hill...

...from the top, at 7200 ft, to the bottom at 4700 ft...

...about 1/2 of that drop is steep enough...

...that I just put it in neutral, shut the engine off, and we "flew" down. No sound but the rushing wind.

Almost at the bottom...

...and here we are. WOW, what an amazing place. Thank you Alan for taking us here.

Now Alan is back out front, leading the way to the Grand Mesa!

More in next post.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 10-07-2015, 02:05 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor

On to the Grand Mesa!

Crossing about 50 miles of desert...yeah, it was up around 100* again...to get to the base of the Grand Mesa...

Fuzzy set a good pace and we were there quickly.

Filling up before getting some lunch and then heading up the hill.

btw, we both filled up at the same gas stations, and we both rode very close to the same ride. I did slow down some in the straights and nail it every now and then in the corners. I also coasted down a few mile hill with the engine off. We compared MPG several times and he was always about .7 to 1 mpg better than us. For all the riding we did, we averaged 38 mpg, that includes climbing up the National monument, and then also climbing up to over 10000 feet on the Grand Mesa, also including close to 100 miles of 70-80 mph interstate riding.

After lunch at Subway, and some good visiting, we started up the hill...

...stunning country, and more fun riding!

Still climbing...from the floor to the top is about a 6000 ft climb. At the top, is the largest flat top mesa in the world.

A lake along the way.

And still more climbing. It is getting cooler, which is very welcomed!

A look back at the lake we just passed a bit ago.

First look at the lake near the Grand Mesa Visitor Center.

Next installment of this fantastic day of riding with Alan coming soon.

Old 10-07-2015, 04:43 AM
Oogie Wa Wa
Road Master
Received 388 Likes on 254 Posts

This just keeps getting better and better! I'm almost embarrassed to say we're leaving next week for a mere 2500 mile trip to GA, AL (Talladega) and back to OH! Although your pics and stories add a lot of incentive to ride, that's for sure!

Hate the heat, too. Coming back from CA last year we hit a cloudless 113 in the AZ desert in a cross wind that was kicking up sand; I'll take 41 and snowing in the mountains any day thank you. And yes, the humid heat in NB was almost welcome after that, you're right.

This might help somebody some day: One thing we did was to take a break mid-day when the sun was at its worst. We'd look for somewhere to cool off and get off the trike for a bit. Hmmmm, now where can you go in a strange town where it's quiet, has comfy seating, you don't feel like you have to buy anything, and you can just sit and relax, maybe read something or talk to the locals (quietly!)? A LIBRARY! Almost every town has one. Much better than at a truck stop or MD's.

Have a safe end to your travels; I'm sure getting home soon will be a mix of sadness that the trip is over, but it is home! We'll be sad to see it end, too!

Old 10-07-2015, 05:48 AM
Fearless (old nickname)
Road Master
Received 115 Likes on 103 Posts
Thumbs up Awsome trip and Pictures

Kevin and Mary I can not put into words how much I enjoy tagging along on your trip. thank you sooo much please travel safely fearless

Old 10-07-2015, 08:48 AM
Imold
another old guy

Received 4,614 Likes on 2,726 Posts

Kevin, just wondering what highway numbers you rode with Fuzzy, looks like a good route to take if I ever make it to that area. Been a long time since I was at Grand Junction, but my view was a bit different from yours... couple thousand feet higher than our Harleys go. Not sure if I'd have wanted to be down there on a Harley that day anyway. That haze ahead is snow coming down. Don't like that stuff on a Harley. Didn't care much for it in a single engine airplane, either. On a nice day, that kind of country sure is beautiful to ride through.

Old 10-11-2015, 01:28 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor

Originally Posted by Oogie Wa Wa
This just keeps getting better and better! I'm almost embarrassed to say we're leaving next week for a mere 2500 mile trip to GA, AL (Talladega) and back to OH! Although your pics and stories add a lot of incentive to ride, that's for sure!

Hate the heat, too. Coming back from CA last year we hit a cloudless 113 in the AZ desert in a cross wind that was kicking up sand; I'll take 41 and snowing in the mountains any day thank you. And yes, the humid heat in NB was almost welcome after that, you're right.

This might help somebody some day: One thing we did was to take a break mid-day when the sun was at its worst. We'd look for somewhere to cool off and get off the trike for a bit. Hmmmm, now where can you go in a strange town where it's quiet, has comfy seating, you don't feel like you have to buy anything, and you can just sit and relax, maybe read something or talk to the locals (quietly!)? A LIBRARY! Almost every town has one. Much better than at a truck stop or MD's.

Have a safe end to your travels; I'm sure getting home soon will be a mix of sadness that the trip is over, but it is home! We'll be sad to see it end, too!

Hey, any ride is a good ride...just being able to ride (instead of cage) 20 miles to the shop is something I'm thankful for.

113* of dry sunny heat, AND a wind??? No Thank You! I *might* be ok, but I don't think Mary would be a happy camper. Future plans will be avoiding that...either riding early and stopping early, or do what you did. A library, that is a really good idea! Thank you.

Originally Posted by Fearless (old nickname)
Kevin and Mary I can not put into words how much I enjoy tagging along on your trip. thank you sooo much please travel safely fearless
Thank you for your regular reminders to travel safe, they are appreciated. Really glad you are enjoying the ride!

Originally Posted by Imold
Kevin, just wondering what highway numbers you rode with Fuzzy, looks like a good route to take if I ever make it to that area. Been a long time since I was at Grand Junction, but my view was a bit different from yours... couple thousand feet higher than our Harleys go. Not sure if I'd have wanted to be down there on a Harley that day anyway. That haze ahead is snow coming down. Don't like that stuff on a Harley. Didn't care much for it in a single engine airplane, either. On a nice day, that kind of country sure is beautiful to ride through.

I was following, not paying attention much to the roads, but I will see if I can get him to chime in with the route he led us on.

That's a great pic from up above!!!

Old 10-11-2015, 01:29 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor

Grand Mesa with Alan continued-

Leaving out from the Visitor Center...

...we continue to climb.

What a view! Emerald colored lakes always get me.

Whoa! What's this? Alan takes us on a dirt/gravel road that is reminding me of The Hill out of Bella Coola!

Another amazing view!

Parked at the boat ramp parking lot for the lake...solving the worlds problems. lol

Leaving the lake, I thought we were back on pavement, but still a ways to go on the dirt.

Looks like there's snow somewhere up above melting.

Still climbing, we're almost to the flat top - Grand Mesa

Some patches of snow along the road. (there was some snow still along the bank of the lake we just left also...but no pics of it.)

More in next post.

Old 10-11-2015, 01:44 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor

Grand Mesa with Fuzzy continued.

We got to the top, something around 11,000 feet, and it has been nice and cool for awhile now.

It is really flat....

and Huge! We did not spend much time at the top, we cut across a bit of it...

...and then started our 6000 ft descent...

...down the other side....

...which was much faster, less trees, and just as much fun!

Can never have too many sweepers.

A different perspective-

Straight ahead is the Flat Top Grand Mesa that we just came from.

At the bottom Fuzzy leads us thru some gnarly canyons...

...and yes, we are back in the high desert heat!

Last installment of this amazing day coming soon.

Old 10-11-2015, 08:40 AM
Fearless (old nickname)
Road Master
Received 115 Likes on 103 Posts

Really neat to see these places thank you both for the ride please travel safely fearless

Old 10-12-2015, 02:09 PM
FuzzyWuzHe
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Imold

The route over the Mesa is 65. If you find Cedaredge on a map, it is the beginning of the south east side of the Mesa. The other end, north west, is still 65, but starts in Dubuque canyon off of I70. Off of I70 there are signs to it. I think also in Cedaredge too, but, can't remember.

As for the Colorado National Monument, The easiest way is to get off I70 at exit 19, there is a myriad of round abouts there, you want to be heading kinda south west on broadway. Follow the signs. You can't swing a dead cat from an I 70 exit in either Fruita or Grand Junction without hitting a sign to the monument.

The Mesa is something that can be incorporated into a route, sorta. The Colorado National Monument is 23 miles of twisty road that goes up a mesa then through a "mini grand canyon" Hard to make it part of route ... but well worth going out of your way for.

I'd be happy to take people on the same ride or just help ya get started if you're ever in my little slice of Heaven.

Quick Reply: Pic Heavy Ride Report - MS to Bella Coola & Back 11,000 Miles Heat, Hail & Bears