Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Pic Heavy Ride Report - MS to Bella Coola & Back 11,000 Miles Heat, Hail & Bears

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2015, 08:42 AM
cochon
Road Warrior
Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

Thanks for all of the great information and for sharing your wonderful trip with us folks who couldn't get out and ride much this year. You guys made a trip that many people will only be able to dream about. Let me be one of the first to wish you guys a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. Looking forward to seeing the mods you're going to make on your trike this winter
Miike

Old 11-29-2015, 09:31 AM
Imold
another old guy

Received 4,618 Likes on 2,728 Posts

Originally Posted by DK Custom

Unlike previous trips, I kept a ride journal during the trip, organized the pictures during the trip, but did not start posting the actual Ride Report until we got home in July.
That explains those temperatures. I wondered about that... and if you were a bit crazy taking a trip like that in November. I took a trip from Arizona to Oregon in late November some decades back, and got some snow on the way back; luckily I got through it before it built up on the road. Your Tri would've handled it better than my 2 wheels would've, though. Hmm, be interesting to have a tri-ride report from Mississippi to Newfoundland in January. You could put Blizzak snow tires on it...

Old 11-30-2015, 07:36 PM
Glydin
Cruiser
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Yeah, I couldn't believe your were still riding all that time. I was really jealous of being able to take off from the job that long. Still, 50+ days is a long time. I just loved this! I want to do the same (post daily with pics) with the trip we took back in May out through the southwest, but I will have to do it in a different section since we didn't have a trike at the time. I, too, kept a journal on that trip...and all of our trips for that matter. Even if it's a trip to town for gas, an entry is made. Each ride is just that good, right?

Old 11-30-2015, 07:41 PM
Glydin
Cruiser
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Glydin
.... I want to do the same (post daily with pics) with the trip we took back in May out through the southwest, but I will have to do it in a different section since we didn't have a trike at the time. I, too, kept a journal on that trip...and all of our trips for that matter. Even if it's a trip to town for gas, an entry is made. Each ride is just that good, right?
Sorry, I've said that before.

Old 12-01-2015, 12:05 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,960 Likes on 2,308 Posts

Originally Posted by Imold
That explains those temperatures. I wondered about that... and if you were a bit crazy taking a trip like that in November. I took a trip from Arizona to Oregon in late November some decades back, and got some snow on the way back; luckily I got through it before it built up on the road. Your Tri would've handled it better than my 2 wheels would've, though. Hmm, be interesting to have a tri-ride report from Mississippi to Newfoundland in January. You could put Blizzak snow tires on it...
Hey, you might like these...

A couple of vids from last year. TG does amazingly well in the snow.

Adding a sheet of ice to the mix, not so sure footed. lol

Gear Up & Ride in! DK Custom 4th Annual Open House, June 8th. 🏍️ Click HERE For The Lowdown.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 12-01-2015, 11:28 AM
Imold
another old guy

Cool videos. Or should I say, cold videos... Snow riding without even a hat; my ears hurt too much in the cold to try that. Looks like the roads weren't salted there, wasn't for that, I'd do sidecar grocery runs year round, think it has better traction than the cage. More fun, anyway.

Had a light snow with some ice last week, got to play in that with no salt, then 2 or 3 inches yesterday, got out in that a couple hours before the salt trucks came by. Don't know if all hacks handle the same, mine (it's not the two wheel drive version) will drift to the left, but spin around the front wheel to the right; you just lean over the side car, hang on and hope the drive wheel doesn't get traction as it spins around. Want plenty of room for that, luckily I live on a cul de sac circle. Makes me feel like a kid again.

Tried taking a video, could see it start in the screen, but when I tried to upload it, it wasn't there. Now I'll probably have to wait till next year, don't take the bikes out in the salt.

Ain't a Harley, would like to put the sidecar on a Harley, this one has maybe 40 hp, and if you think a Harley transmission clunks... Have another sidecar sitting in the living room (I'm not married anymore )... maybe someday. Got too many projects going already.

You can see what I mean about left and right circles. I'd guess there wouldn't be a difference with a trike. Be fun to get a trike and a sidecar rig out in the snow together and see how they compared.

Old 12-05-2015, 12:36 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor

Originally Posted by Imold
Cool videos. Or should I say, cold videos... Snow riding without even a hat; my ears hurt too much in the cold to try that. Looks like the roads weren't salted there, wasn't for that, I'd do sidecar grocery runs year round, think it has better traction than the cage. More fun, anyway.

Had a light snow with some ice last week, got to play in that with no salt, then 2 or 3 inches yesterday, got out in that a couple hours before the salt trucks came by. Don't know if all hacks handle the same, mine (it's not the two wheel drive version) will drift to the left, but spin around the front wheel to the right; you just lean over the side car, hang on and hope the drive wheel doesn't get traction as it spins around. Want plenty of room for that, luckily I live on a cul de sac circle. Makes me feel like a kid again.

Tried taking a video, could see it start in the screen, but when I tried to upload it, it wasn't there. Now I'll probably have to wait till next year, don't take the bikes out in the salt.

Ain't a Harley, would like to put the sidecar on a Harley, this one has maybe 40 hp, and if you think a Harley transmission clunks... Have another sidecar sitting in the living room (I'm not married anymore )... maybe someday. Got too many projects going already.

You can see what I mean about left and right circles. I'd guess there wouldn't be a difference with a trike. Be fun to get a trike and a sidecar rig out in the snow together and see how they compared.

Looks like you had some fun!!!

Bummer about the salt. We don't have any salt put on the roads down here...so that's nice.

Unbelievably, I've never ridden with a sidecar rig...would like to, and probably will someday. (Mary says she will NOT ride in the sidecar...hahaha)

From what I understand, the turning on a sidecar is significantly different in feel than a Trike.??? Def would be fun to get them out together.

Here's some drifting skilz-

Old 12-05-2015, 10:37 AM
Imold
another old guy

Originally Posted by DK Custom
Looks like you had some fun!!!

Bummer about the salt. We don't have any salt put on the roads down here...so that's nice.

Unbelievably, I've never ridden with a sidecar rig...would like to, and probably will someday. (Mary says she will NOT ride in the sidecar...hahaha)

From what I understand, the turning on a sidecar is significantly different in feel than a Trike.??? Def would be fun to get them out together.
I'd think a trike would turn either direction the same; sidecar doesn't, right turns can lift the car in the air, and then it really gets different. The car makes a wiggle effect till you develop the automatic response to it when you accelerate and slow down, from the drag and inertia of that weight hanging off the side, even more with weight in it. Feels clumsy compared to a 2 wheeler, but of course it feels a bit more confident on gravel and slick stuff.

My lady friend doesn't like the 2 wheel feel, but she tried a sidecar ride, and liked it. Really likes it where there isn't any traffic. There's a few roads around here where you don't see many 4 wheelers, just gotta keep an eye out for tractors and combines...

Last edited by Imold; 12-05-2015 at 10:40 AM.
Old 12-10-2015, 12:43 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor

Some have asked for a map of the route we took...Below are 7 maps, showing the route we took over the first 26 days of travel. Will get the rest of the maps done soon.

Old 12-12-2015, 07:29 PM
Nitro 54
Road Master
Received 81 Likes on 67 Posts

I'm sure I missed it, but how many miles was this trip in total? Great trip !!!!

Quick Reply: Pic Heavy Ride Report - MS to Bella Coola & Back 11,000 Miles Heat, Hail & Bears