Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Pic Heavy Ride Report - MS to Bella Coola & Back 11,000 Miles Heat, Hail & Bears

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2015, 02:48 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,931 Likes on 2,288 Posts
Default Pic Heavy Ride Report - MS to Bella Coola & Back 11,000 Miles Heat, Hail & Bears

For our Summer Trip, we knew we wanted to visit family, & we knew we wanted to explore more of Beautiful British Columbia. I asked Mary if she had any particular places in BC she wanted to see.

After a few days she told me she wanted to go to Bella Coola. It is as far as the road goes west in BC, has the highest concentration of Grizzy Bears in North America, and it is one crazy road to get there.

Here is a video we found on Youtube (that almost convinced me not to ride there )

So the plan was made. Head to the west coast to visit family, then north to visit more family and then up into Canada. Then head southeast back home, making sure to ride the Million Dollar Highway in Colorado on the way home.

Day 1-

Today our goal was to get from Mississippi to Texarkana. Making it a 4 State day. MS, TN, AR, & Texas.

We had test packed last night, here is most of the stuff that is going in the trunk for the next 45 days or so.

All packed up and ready to go!!! We left out a bit after noontime.

Headed down the driveway...no, I am not leaving Mary, she walked down to the gate to open it up.

We estimate we'll be riding 12,000 to 13,000 miles before returning home...depending on how many side trips/explorations we do.

Last time we'll see this familiar road for a while.

Crossing into Tennessee on some more familiar road.

Crossing the Mississippi River from Memphis into Arkansas, another familiar road.

There are tons of great riding roads in Arkansas, but we need to be in San Diego, CA three days from now, so we're taking interstate all the way across to get to the west coast.

I-40 toward Little Rock, AR always has a high concentration of trucks traveling it. We share the road carefully with them. About 15 years ago a local guy was killed on this section of road when a Semi lost a trailer tire which hit him. Pretty much every-time I see a Semi on the road I think of his families loss.

Passing thru Little Rock we start seeing lighting off in the distance. Mary tried to get a pic. No luck.

Taking the 30 toward Texarkana. Rivers are high, pollen is heavy, everything is really green, road is wet from a light rain, we are getting closer to the lighting storm.

It was only sprinkling as we traveled down the 30, but as we got close to Malvern we could see lighting all in front of us. Rain does not bother or stop us, but we do have an aversion to riding with lighting hitting around us, so we called it an early day and stopped there for the night.

It was a short first day, but a good start. Bike is running well, and we are settling in to a month and a half on the road.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

The following users liked this post:
Tryker Dude (06-10-2016)
Old 07-05-2015, 07:34 AM
Raxus
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Great pics and story Kevin! Can't wait to hear more.

Rax

Old 07-05-2015, 12:41 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor

Day 2

We left out of Malvern with the plan to go as far as Abilene, TX.

It was sprinkling a bit the first hour or so. Nice, keeping us cool.

Traveled for a while beside this guy on a Road Glide. There's a crazy amount of pollen in the air.

Yesterday our plan was to stay in Texarkana. It's a town that is 1/2 in Arkansas and 1/2 in Texas. My dad was born there, on the Arkansas side. As kids, my brothers and I always wanted him to have been born in Texas...just something cool about being from Texas.

Anyway, as we entered Texas, took a pic going from the Arkansas side of the city to the Texas side.

I never have enjoyed stopping for gas. Stopping at a lake, a river, or somewhere for Mary to get a pic...no problem, but stopping to get gas, especially when we're doing interstate to get to the west coast, just seems like a waste of time.

Well, unlike previous year models, the gas gauge on the '14 is dead on accurate. (I'm used to a little "wiggle room" when the needle is at the bottom of the "E".) Pulling off the interstate, on an uphill left turn, it started sputtering.

At the top of the hill, after completing the left turn it died, but still coasting. Flashers on, I took 1 second to hit the front brakes and wiggle the bike a bit. This sloshed what remaining little gas was left, back over to the left side of the tank and it started right up.

The gas station was at the bottom of the hill, on the RIGHT hand side and we pulled in and filled up.

Even with the 1.5" tank lift w/ the Deluxe Option, you can see that it takes a full 6 gallons of fuel.

I've promised Mary we won't be walking, and I'll do better at getting gas. (we have not picked up a gas can yet...will be doing that before we get into Canada). I'll just be stopping for gas when I still have 1/2 to 1 gallon left in the tank.

As we approached Dallas...

....even though it was mid afternoon, we started hitting some traffic....

....Lots of construction going on.

The speed limit had gone to 75 mph when we entered Texas, and I'd been rolling with the flow at 75-80 mph. It' didn't take long to get thru the traffic and we were back rolling again.

We're on the 20 now, and somewhere outside of Dallas this gal had started following us. When we pulled off to get gas (we still had a gallon left ) she did the same. Beautiful bike, very nice paint. I especially liked the marble treatment. She's headed to Waco.

Back on the road, we're chewing up the miles. Had a little rain here and there, but it was nice, keeping it cool.

We had planned on stopping in Abilene, but the weather is nice, the road is good, the bike is running well, so we headed on to Big Spring, TX. Just under 600 miles for the day. If ya gotta do interstate miles, we could not have picked much better of a day!

Old 07-05-2015, 12:49 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor

Originally Posted by Raxus
Great pics and story Kevin! Can't wait to hear more.

Rax
Thank you! Going to be updating it most everyday.

Old 07-05-2015, 05:59 PM
Fearless (old nickname)
Road Master
Received 115 Likes on 103 Posts
Default Nice Pics!!!!!

Kevin not long ago I drove a 8 axle semi to Midland and your pictures I still remember vividly. Except I was in the middle between to great Texans that got this old hillbilly through there at rush hour. Wonder pictures as always thank you for taking us with you on these trips. ride safely fearless

Old 07-05-2015, 06:12 PM
Mr.Softy
Grand HDF Member

Received 1,199 Likes on 711 Posts

Between your vacation pictures and Screwball's weekend breakfast run videos I am getting to see a lot of the country I may never see on a trike. I thank you both for taking the time to take and post all the videos and pictures that you do. I for one sure enjoy them.

Old 07-05-2015, 08:09 PM
MackAttack
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for all the posts. I've truly enjoyed them and expect to see more.

However, can you tell me what you are using for a cup holder for your water bottle behind the left grip??? I also ride a 2014 triglide.

Thanks and great trip.
Mack

Old 07-06-2015, 07:01 AM
MCHOGG
Road Captain
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

Kevin great report as usual, looking forward to more. You and Mary have some of the better reports on the forum.
Thanks

Old 07-06-2015, 07:02 AM
Sharpie
Road Warrior
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Kevin, Mary,

Ride safe my friends. I'm enjoying keeping up with your journey. Keep the fan running to keepnher cool.

Sharpie

Old 07-07-2015, 01:33 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor

Originally Posted by Fearless (old nickname)
Kevin not long ago I drove a 8 axle semi to Midland and your pictures I still remember vividly. Except I was in the middle between to great Texans that got this old hillbilly through there at rush hour. Wonder pictures as always thank you for taking us with you on these trips. ride safely fearless
Thank you, glad you're enjoying!

Originally Posted by Tr1Rid3r
Between your vacation pictures and Screwball's weekend breakfast run videos I am getting to see a lot of the country I may never see on a trike. I thank you both for taking the time to take and post all the videos and pictures that you do. I for one sure enjoy them.
Cool! Thank you!

Originally Posted by MackAttack
Thanks for all the posts. I've truly enjoyed them and expect to see more.

However, can you tell me what you are using for a cup holder for your water bottle behind the left grip??? I also ride a 2014 triglide.

Thanks and great trip.
Mack
Lots more coming. It is a Kruzer Kaddy cup holder. Took it off the '11 and put it on the '14. It seen a lot of miles. Not sure if it will fit on the stock bars on the '14 or not...might hit the fairing or the center tank console.

Originally Posted by MCHOGG
Kevin great report as usual, looking forward to more. You and Mary have some of the better reports on the forum.
Thanks
Thank you!

Originally Posted by Sharpie
Kevin, Mary,

Ride safe my friends. I'm enjoying keeping up with your journey. Keep the fan running to keepnher cool.

Sharpie
Will do!

Quick Reply: Pic Heavy Ride Report - MS to Bella Coola & Back 11,000 Miles Heat, Hail & Bears