Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

cost of new tri-glide

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2015, 05:44 PM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,481 Likes on 1,540 Posts
Default cost of new tri-glide

we stopped at the dealership today looking at the tri glides and freewheelers with the wife with me and got the thumbs up from her. she jumped on the most expensive one they had and told me to buy it, really surpised me. i must admit the tri is really looking good right now. i'm torn between the two. my question is what has everyone paid for either ? total cost out the door. i am in st.louis missouri and getting ready to buy. then i have to decide how i'm going to shift it. after sitting on them there is no way my fake leg is going to work with the stock setup. i'll come up with something even if it's a rope. thanks, this is driving me crazy. can't make my mind up.

Old 07-20-2015, 06:30 PM
Fearless (old nickname)
Road Master
Received 115 Likes on 103 Posts
Thumbs up Triglide of course I'm Bias

Comfort comfort comfort. there are options to be had about shifting issues Welcome to our world. ride safely fearless

Old 07-20-2015, 06:51 PM
fmgsr
Road Master
Received 66 Likes on 49 Posts

If you are gonna have your sweetheart riding with you, I think she will enjoy the TriGlide over the FreeWheeler. Just so she can really sit back, and feel safe. There are a few guys here on the forum that are missing limbs, they are quite versed in what is worthy of the Harley, and what won't be worth the wear.

Old 07-20-2015, 09:17 PM
Beachbiker64
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hardheaded
...my question is what has everyone paid for either ? total cost out the door...
My wife and I are currently anticipating buying a 2016 Tri-Glide and projecting the total cost. At MSRP and the expected price increase for the new models and probably going with a 2-tone paint - and a few dealer add-ons (rear bumper, seat backrest, perhaps a lift kit, etc) - we figure to break not too much over $40,000 with the maximum warranty and service plan.

Selling my current Springer should cover the cost of the add-ons and extended plans, plus more.

As a disabled veteran, a partially-paralyzed left leg and other non-improving or deteriorating conditions makes this a rather necessary move. The stock shifter on the Tri-Glide isn't much different than the modifications I'd made to my Springer, so no anticipated problems.

As far as the Tri-Glide versus Freewheeler: The Tri-Glide is indeed more expensive, but it all really depends on what you want and what you expect to get out of it for BOTH you and your wife. The Tri-Glide, of course, offers more. Many previous discussions I've reviewed here feature various comparisons and contrasts that are based on riders' needs, preferences, and expectations...

Old 07-20-2015, 10:16 PM
Smokey Stover
Road Warrior
Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts

For the price of a TG you could get a Rewaco with a 4 cyl Turbocharged Mitsubish and 7 speed automatic transmission, Or a C class Mercedes! I just don't see the value in a HD Trike.
www.rewacousa.com

Old 07-20-2015, 10:40 PM
Clint44
Road Warrior
Received 660 Likes on 411 Posts

$40K will buy a new Boss Hoss V8 trike with 350hp all-alum 4.8 LS engine and 4L70 four speed auto w/od. Heck,I've got around $35K invested in our trike but who's counting? lol
Sure nothing wrong with a TriGlide,though. They are fun machines,too.

Old 07-20-2015, 11:48 PM
Steve On 3
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Smokey Stover
For the price of a TG you could get a Rewaco with a 4 cyl Turbocharged Mitsubish and 7 speed automatic transmission, Or a C class Mercedes! I just don't see the value in a HD Trike.
www.rewacousa.com
I don't see the value of a Street Glide either but I wouldn't come to a Street Glide forum and say so..

Old 07-20-2015, 11:56 PM
missedem
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

+1 its about the joy you get when riding your machine. Everything devalues the second you get it out the door. If your looking for investment material , machines of any kind (except certain classic collector cars and motorcycles) are not the way to go. If your looking for fun , freedom , miles of smiles , touring for less cost of gasoline, and camaraderie your in the right place.

Old 07-21-2015, 12:04 AM
missedem
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Now back to the subject at hand.

I originally wanted a 2011 FLHXXX Street Glide trike. I liked the extra storage space and fairing but could not swing the payment for a tri-glide new. So I wanted a used FLHXXX. Been wanting one since they came out.
Unfortunately the FLHXXX sold before I could get a down payment on it . I ended up buying the freewheeler. Mostly because its what I could afford. I love it . Its a blast to ride on back road hwys. , handles great and has good power. But I am a solo rider 99.5 percent of the time. Also I only tour once or twice every couple of years. So the reduced storage space of the smaller trunk is no big deal for me. I will put a rack on it and use a large dry bag for anything I cant fit into the trunk.

If I could afford it , and I rode two up all the time I would go with the tri-glide. You can tour on the freewheeler , and you can do it two up . Just won't be as comfortable for your passenger and you wont have as much storage space. They do look fantastic and handle great . Both should give equal amounts of fun.

Last edited by missedem; 07-21-2015 at 12:06 AM.
Old 07-21-2015, 07:35 AM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,481 Likes on 1,540 Posts

i to would buy a flhxxx if they still made them. this is what i started out look for. the only thing that kinda sets me back on the tri is the water cooled heads. i wish they didn't have that. that's the reason i really like the freewheeler. i'm trying to keep a cool head about deciding on which to buy. i'll be insane long before i get one. cost is a factor also.

Quick Reply: cost of new tri-glide