Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

first real ride on three wheels

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2015, 09:19 AM
UppercaseJC
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Default first real ride on three wheels

As part of my learning to ride a trike I took a 1200 mile trip to the skyline trail. My findings were as follows.
steering does require some muscle but I am now used to it.
It seems to corner as well as the average rider on a two wheeler. I pretty much adhered to the suggested speed signs through the corners and found while it does require some muscle and you do feel the g force I never felt the bike couldn't handle it. The forces on the front tire it turns must be high and I suspect a much shorter tire life then my two wheelers.
I followed two wheelers a lot and we surprised to find I actually gained on them in turns and they pulled away from me when the road straightened out. I was not trying to keep up with them and was really holding a steady speed. I found holding a steady speed in the curves was easier than rolling on the throttle in them.
I found the advantages of the trike like not having to put my feet down, gravel parking lots etc. made the trip very enjoyable with less stressful then my two wheelers.
On the other hand the trike was more work at 70 mph on the expressways as the road camber sometimes made me ride long distances keeping pressure on one bar to keep the bike straight. My wife said she was very surprised how much she loves the trike. She does say the trike requires her to hold on in curves where the two wheeler did not but she doesn't mind holding on.
Brakes work very well and I am now used to using the back brake a lot more than I was accustomed to in the past. I did lock the front tire during a nasty downpour and that spooked me a little. locking that front wheel did not however cause the bike to change direction or fall over
I found I don't ride the trike as fast on the expressways as my two wheeler as I am still not comfortable at high speed. The faster I go the tighter I am holding the grips and I know that is my problem. I am constantly forcing myself to loosen my grip.
I have only about 1600 miles on the bike but I love the trike and I have to say I would not likely go back to a two wheeler. I do miss the fast acceleration of my Ultra limited that I used to own but I can live with that. Our recent tri glide trip showed my how nice it was to ride a little more conservative.
Fuel consumption had me stopping about every 250 km verses about 300km with the old two wheeler. I was putting about 4.5 gallons in each stop as I like to keep the tank at at least 1/4 full.
I did experience hitting my exhaust tips a number of time pulling out of gas stations etc. I am hesitating a little about putting on a lift kit but I have some concerns. If putting on the lift kit makes steering a little easier that means something in the rake or trail must of changed. Doesn't that mean there must be a negative reaction somewhere like maybe a little more twitchy at higher speeds as an example?? I would like to hear your comments on this.
The GPS like the one I had on my 2014 Ultra limited is at times insane. Over and over again the voice prompt would tell me to turn left or right but the arrow at the bottom on the screen would be pointing in the opposite direction of the voice command. I do have the 1.19.1 latest software upgrade.

Make no mistake I am thrilled about my new ride more than any of the dozen or more two wheelers I have bought in the past. I should have gone with a three wheeler years ago. I also see more trike on the highway than in the past which tells me a change is taking place as the average rider is getting older. I didn't by a trike because I couldn't keep riding two wheels, I just wanted a ride with a little less stress. I haven't dropped the trike in a gravel parking lot yet. sorry about the lengthy note but I got a lot of help from you prior to the ride and thought you might like my report now that I have some experience.

The following users liked this post:
WesternVet (06-14-2019)
Old 07-27-2015, 09:36 AM
Clint44
Road Warrior
Received 660 Likes on 411 Posts

You're getting the hang of it,JC.

Time to change your signature.

Old 07-27-2015, 09:59 AM
Fearless (old nickname)
Road Master
Received 115 Likes on 103 Posts
Thumbs up Right on course

I can only tell you to get a lift kit it will steer better and handle better ours has a lift and would not go back to what it was before. A little wider and higher bars make it easier to steer also, changed mine no more shoulder or arm fatigue. Keep putting on miles more the smiles. rid safely fearless

Attached Thumbnails first real ride on three wheels-dsc00111.jpg   first real ride on three wheels-dsc00110.jpg   first real ride on three wheels-signature-pic..jpg  
Old 07-27-2015, 11:32 AM
GARY DYER
Elite HDF Member

Received 689 Likes on 412 Posts

Welcome to the trike world. I've had a TG for 4 years now, a 2012 and a 2014. You are correct about the GPS driving you mad. It is a POS compared to my Zumo 660, but that's a whole nother story.
You pretty much summed up my experience's. I have the lift kit = easier turning and no more scraping the exhaust.

I tend to ride as fast if not faster on the TG then on 2 wheels. Matter of fact I'm looking into slip-ons, A/C, and tuner for a little more uummph (dealer gave me a Street Guide for 3 weeks while my TG was in the shop) "loved being able to lean again and the exceleration was fun. Still will never go back to 2 wheels(maybe get one as a side toy).

I also rode with some rice rockets on the BRP for about 7 miles (very invigorating). Stayed with them in the turns and they pulled ahead on the straights.
Only raised the rear wheel once - didn't want to - some idiot jumped out of a side street - no warning what so ever.
Because I ride aggressively, I only average 30 to 32 mpg.

I work out every other day at the gym(doctor requested) so the steering input is not a factor for me. Matter of fact I got a great workout on the BRP and The Dragon. Really works up a sweat.

The confidence of never falling over again (braking, wet leaves, sand, ice, rain, gravel etc) is worth giving up some of the features of 2 wheels - especially at 71 years old.
BTW: last month I rode with our dealer on his Route 66 trip (2000 miles) then up to Denver (1000 miles) just to start my Saddlesore 1000 trip back to Chicago. One of the best 2 weeks I've ever had.

Welcome aboard.

Old 07-27-2015, 02:06 PM
dirtdobber
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I ride some slower on the back roads with the freewheeler but not that much. I keep my speed between 65 to 70 mph on the interstate. I try to maintain 30-32 mpg and that is about the only way. I stay below 3,000 rpm's.
Just take it easy for a spell so you can relax. That way your hands won't go numb as bad.
They handle very good, the tri and free.
I also have the DK comfort lift. Good investment. The free is very low in the rear. The lift makes it so I very rarely scrap now. Push and pull on the bars and it makes the steering much easier.
If the heat is a bit much I went with a catless header and a good tune. I did add the high flow ac from fuel moto, it was cheap. Now that I have done that the new rushmore ac and K&N filter is all you will need.
I still have a couple of Dyna bikes for 2 wheeling but they are light as you may know. i prefer one of the trikes myself.

Old 07-27-2015, 03:11 PM
Shodanusmc
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Terrific. My first Trike also. Had the DK Lift Kit installed, as well as SE Stage 1 and Street Cannon Exhaust with the download. Love the Trike.

Old 07-27-2015, 05:02 PM
Steve On 3
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts

Good for you ! Most folks feel like you do...Why didn't I do this before? U turns, gravel, sand and stoplights are a worry of the past. You will get lots of attention too. Everybody wants to know how it rides and will it turn over? Try lowering your air pressure a bit from the stock 26 in the rear tires. I run 24 and it made the ride much smoother. Wife and I are having a blast. Our riding buddy commented yesterday that riding in the hard rain had him tense. My wife said, not me, I really felt safe on the three wheels.

Ride safe

Steve

Old 07-29-2015, 07:24 PM
JanisM13
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Little ideas

Originally Posted by UppercaseJC
As part of my learning to ride a trike I took a 1200 mile trip to the skyline trail. My findings were as follows.
steering does require some muscle but I am now used to it.
It seems to corner as well as the average rider on a two wheeler. I pretty much adhered to the suggested speed signs through the corners and found while it does require some muscle and you do feel the g force I never felt the bike couldn't handle it. The forces on the front tire it turns must be high and I suspect a much shorter tire life then my two wheelers.
I followed two wheelers a lot and we surprised to find I actually gained on them in turns and they pulled away from me when the road straightened out. I was not trying to keep up with them and was really holding a steady speed. I found holding a steady speed in the curves was easier than rolling on the throttle in them.
I found the advantages of the trike like not having to put my feet down, gravel parking lots etc. made the trip very enjoyable with less stressful then my two wheelers.
On the other hand the trike was more work at 70 mph on the expressways as the road camber sometimes made me ride long distances keeping pressure on one bar to keep the bike straight. My wife said she was very surprised how much she loves the trike. She does say the trike requires her to hold on in curves where the two wheeler did not but she doesn't mind holding on.
Brakes work very well and I am now used to using the back brake a lot more than I was accustomed to in the past. I did lock the front tire during a nasty downpour and that spooked me a little. locking that front wheel did not however cause the bike to change direction or fall over
I found I don't ride the trike as fast on the expressways as my two wheeler as I am still not comfortable at high speed. The faster I go the tighter I am holding the grips and I know that is my problem. I am constantly forcing myself to loosen my grip.
I have only about 1600 miles on the bike but I love the trike and I have to say I would not likely go back to a two wheeler. I do miss the fast acceleration of my Ultra limited that I used to own but I can live with that. Our recent tri glide trip showed my how nice it was to ride a little more conservative.
Fuel consumption had me stopping about every 250 km verses about 300km with the old two wheeler. I was putting about 4.5 gallons in each stop as I like to keep the tank at at least 1/4 full.
I did experience hitting my exhaust tips a number of time pulling out of gas stations etc. I am hesitating a little about putting on a lift kit but I have some concerns. If putting on the lift kit makes steering a little easier that means something in the rake or trail must of changed. Doesn't that mean there must be a negative reaction somewhere like maybe a little more twitchy at higher speeds as an example?? I would like to hear your comments on this.
The GPS like the one I had on my 2014 Ultra limited is at times insane. Over and over again the voice prompt would tell me to turn left or right but the arrow at the bottom on the screen would be pointing in the opposite direction of the voice command. I do have the 1.19.1 latest software upgrade.

Make no mistake I am thrilled about my new ride more than any of the dozen or more two wheelers I have bought in the past. I should have gone with a three wheeler years ago. I also see more trike on the highway than in the past which tells me a change is taking place as the average rider is getting older. I didn't by a trike because I couldn't keep riding two wheels, I just wanted a ride with a little less stress. I haven't dropped the trike in a gravel parking lot yet. sorry about the lengthy note but I got a lot of help from you prior to the ride and thought you might like my report now that I have some experience.
I have a 2010 Tri Glide,it sounds like you are getting the hang of riding 3 wheels,I
love mine,have 25,300 miles on her and it's great!
So far as the steering, for me I found the easiest way to do it is "counter steer" by
this I mean when I'm turning to the right I use a LITTLE pull towards me but I
push with my left hand,use the opposite when turning left,pull a little with the
left hand and push with the right hand.I've had a heck of a time trying to explain
this to a friend who has a Street Glide trike she just keeps trying to PULL the
handle bars all the time,I must not be explaining it enough to Linda??
I rode 2 wheels for 12 years ( late starter on a bike) but due to an ols shoulder
injury just couldn't pull up my Herritage anymore so got the trike and never
looked back.
When I take a corner I find there is less centrifical force(sp?) if I just lean a bit
on my hip on the side I am turning so guess I still "lean" on the trike but I feel
less pulling in a turn,just me and my thinking maybe but it seems to help me
roll into turns easier.
I also found with a trike I don't need to hold on as tight,going over tracks or
even in gravel if I loosen up my grip on the handle bars my trike will find it's
own path through and ride is a lot smoother. I also think after "holding on"
to the handle bars with 2 wheels it took me a bit of time to learn to relax my
grip on the trike so it will come to you too just a bit of time to get used to the
difference between 2 wheels and the way 3 wheels need to be ridden...you'll
do fine,no worries.
The other different thing for me was using BOTH the front and rear breaks
at the same time,less on the front,more towards the rear and it took me a
bit of time to stay in the MIDDLE of the road and not running towards the
side line or center line in turns,old habit from 2 wheel riding.
I have not had a problem with higher speeds and keeping more pressure
on one bar to keep it straight,seems it rides easier at higher speeds for me
but then everyone rides different and feels different how they ride,think
more time and feeling more comfortable in a "new" bike will fix that.
Ride free,be safe and enjoy your trike.
Jan

Old 07-30-2015, 09:05 AM
UppercaseJC
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Thanks

All of your comments are helpful. Thank you all.