Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Vance & Hines

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2015, 10:02 PM
Mr Stingray
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vance & Hines

Hello everyone I'm New here to the Forum , I have A 2015 Harley Trike and I have a question, I have already Did a Stage one with Vance & Hines Slip Ons, now I'm getting ready to do the Headers with Vance & Hines, So they tell me I Loose that Catylic Converter doing this, so my question is will this VOID my Warranty? I paid the $3000 extra to get it.

I'm here in California, and Harley who's doing the work is a Huge Store. Any Help would be great.

Old 07-28-2015, 03:48 AM
Fusionfool
Road Captain
Received 66 Likes on 53 Posts

Talk to your dealer. I had the same questions back in 2013, my dealer stated they would stand behind the warranty. My dealer stated that if there was an issue they may need to put the old header back on for regional rep review of trike, but that was very rare. It really all depends on how your dealer handles the claim to HD. The risk we all take is if you are traveling cross country and need warranty at another dealer you do no know. If you take it in to unknown dealer with problem and they report all mods done, your warranty could be flagged. Personally I have not had any issues.

Old 07-28-2015, 07:53 AM
FuzzyWuzHe
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mr Stingray
Hello everyone I'm New here to the Forum , I have A 2015 Harley Trike and I have a question, I have already Did a Stage one with Vance & Hines Slip Ons, now I'm getting ready to do the Headers with Vance & Hines, So they tell me I Loose that Catylic Converter doing this, so my question is will this VOID my Warranty? I paid the $3000 extra to get it.

I'm here in California, and Harley who's doing the work is a Huge Store. Any Help would be great.
Technically yes. Changing the slip ons to non Harley not installed by Harley voids the warranty. Having said that, most dealers kinda look the other way.

As stated above, the problem is if your on a trip, and the bike dies or has an issue. You bring it to another dealer, the service manager had a spat with his wife and is a foul mood. He see's your trike, doesn't want to work on it, red flags your warranty. Probably an extreme scenario, but, it's reality. I too bought the extended warranty. I've been told that if they red flag the main warranty, you can get the 3k back. Haven't tested that and hope not to.

Some more food for thought. Changing the headers will probably require modifying the map, which again voids the warranty.

Seems washing the trike in the sunshine voids the warranty ...

Last edited by FuzzyWuzHe; 07-28-2015 at 07:55 AM.
Old 07-28-2015, 09:05 AM
Fusionfool
Road Captain

Oh and don't forget, how you ride it CAN void the warranty. Bottom line is if you have an issue, you dealer is likely to stand behind it if they do the work to ensure install was correct, or if you have a good working relationship like I do with my dealer. We teach each other stuff every day, occasionally they call me for my thoughts advise on a mod I made that they had not dealt with yet. They should be open with you before you even make the change. If they hesitate, then maybe you want to reconsider.

Old 07-28-2015, 09:42 AM
Mr Stingray
Stage III

Originally Posted by Fusionfool
Oh and don't forget, how you ride it CAN void the warranty. Bottom line is if you have an issue, you dealer is likely to stand behind it if they do the work to ensure install was correct, or if you have a good working relationship like I do with my dealer. We teach each other stuff every day, occasionally they call me for my thoughts advise on a mod I made that they had not dealt with yet. They should be open with you before you even make the change. If they hesitate, then maybe you want to reconsider.
I get it, they all want your money but when it comes to honoring they look for every Loop to avoid Fixing your Bike, I'm getting temp's around 475 Degrees F on the right side and even using my highway pegs still hot, so they offered to Change them out with Vance & Hines cause I already haave their slip ons. Thanks for all the Help Guys.

Old 07-28-2015, 11:26 AM
Fusionfool
Road Captain

When you say temps 475° F, where are you taking this reading? This may be if you measured right at header? Not to discourage you, but changing header will help slightly, reference link below, some have lowered temps about (50°F) with headers, But you have to realize your exhaust pipe is going to remain hot, even with the V&H. Do not expect temps to drop at the pipe a whole lot. Exhaust gasses will still produce a lot of heat, if you were successful enough to remove major exhaust temp change, you probably would not like the other effects it would pose. Bad tune ext. I chased temp reduction for engine temp longevity of motor, not so much for rider comfort. I noticed more temp change to engine when I changed from SE Synthetic to Red Line 20/50, then again more temp drop with Red Line 20/60.
Best of Luck,
Link to another couple of heat threads. There are many:
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/tri-g...eat-a-b-c.html

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...our-103-a.html

Old 07-28-2015, 04:29 PM
screwball
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

My neighbor was the Service Manager at Old Road Harley here in the SCV. As a dealer he gets paid for broken motorcycles, either the owner, or the warrantor. For the most part the dealer doesn't care. The problem is when you toast a piston, blow a barrel seal, etc. SOMETIMES the MoCo wants a rep to look at it. Maybe your local dealer can put the 'stock stuff' back on, that won't help you if you are 1000 miles from home and break down.

That said, it is VERY UNLIKELY you will have catastrophic engine failure because you changed your headers, mufflers, or de-catted. Mod it, change it, ride the hell out of it. Worst case scenario, if you lunch the engine it will only cost you a couple of grand for a new, crated engine. HAVE FUN with your new toy!

Old 07-28-2015, 07:35 PM
Fearless (old nickname)
Road Master
Received 115 Likes on 103 Posts
Thumbs up right on Screwball

It's a Harley change it ride it sometimes work on it all part of the fun. ride safely fearless

Old 07-29-2015, 02:08 AM
Mr Stingray
Stage III

Originally Posted by Fearless (old nickname)
It's a Harley change it ride it sometimes work on it all part of the fun. ride safely fearless
Thanks guys, it's always great for a new guy to hear from the Pros. Thanks

Old 07-30-2015, 02:18 AM
missedem
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

My V&H was installed the day I bought my HD; from the dealer I bought it from. When taking it to my local dealer I have no problems with that as an issue. They sell bikes out the door with performance exhausts all the time. Helps some if you have the dealer do the actual install. At least that way they know who did the work.

The HD rep might be different but then again they told me once years ago that an aftermarket tail light that weighed 1/4 of what the stock light did cracked my rear fender. It was obvious they just did not want to replace the fender. Other than that I have never had any trouble.

Quick Reply: Vance & Hines