Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

2014 ambient air sensor

Old 07-31-2015, 05:14 AM
arnie54
Tourer
Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts
Default 2014 ambient air sensor

Can someone tell me where the air sensor is located on the 14 tri glides . Mine used to be fairly accurate, but lately it has been off quite a bit. Just thought i'd look & see if anything was obvious. Thanks

Old 07-31-2015, 12:29 PM
Tryker Dude
Tourer
Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by arnie54
Can someone tell me where the air sensor is located on the 14 tri glides . Mine used to be fairly accurate, but lately it has been off quite a bit. Just thought i'd look & see if anything was obvious. Thanks
Not sure about the 2014's but on my 2009 the sensor is located on the left lower side of the frame yoke, just under the fairing. If you have the touring service manual it shows it there.

Old 07-31-2015, 01:03 PM
arnie54
Tourer

I have a service manual but didn't see anything in it about the sensor. Probably not looking in the right place. I think they moved them from under the fairing.

Old 07-31-2015, 01:48 PM
tenn.vol.
Supporter
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Mine is as useless as the **** on a boar Hog!

Old 08-01-2015, 07:37 AM
Merri1
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My 2014 Triglide air sensor was very accurate until I installed v1.19.1.
I don't know if it was the s/with update or something else.
I am going to reinstall my last version of s/with today and see if it makes a difference.

Old 08-01-2015, 10:53 PM
Tryker Dude
Tourer

Arnie, I tried to find a decent photo of the location on google to no avail. Let try to locate the section in my manual that gives the location of the sensor. By the way, in case anyone is interested, I found the ambient temp gauge totally unnecessary so I replaced it with the oil temp gauge. Much more useful.

Old 08-02-2015, 01:01 AM
arnie54
Tourer

I just looked in the manual awhile ago & couldn't find it. I'm probably looking right past it. I'll have to give the dealer a call come Monday.

Old 08-02-2015, 08:11 AM
FuzzyWuzHe
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tryker Dude
Arnie, I tried to find a decent photo of the location on google to no avail. Let try to locate the section in my manual that gives the location of the sensor. By the way, in case anyone is interested, I found the ambient temp gauge totally unnecessary so I replaced it with the oil temp gauge. Much more useful.
Do you find the oil temp gauge inaccurate, do to the "thermostat" on the oil cooler? On my 11 Ultra, it would stay at like 70* until the thermostat opened ... then shoot up to whatever the oil temp was ... if the temp dropped and the thermostat closed, it would go back down quickly. I aways suspected the oil temp sensor was installed incorrectly by the previous owner.

Old 08-02-2015, 02:33 PM
MB1953
Cruiser
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by FuzzyWuzHe
Do you find the oil temp gauge inaccurate, do to the "thermostat" on the oil cooler? On my 11 Ultra, it would stay at like 70* until the thermostat opened ... then shoot up to whatever the oil temp was ... if the temp dropped and the thermostat closed, it would go back down quickly. I aways suspected the oil temp sensor was installed incorrectly by the previous owner.
Since the '14 TriGlide does not have an oil cooler, I guess there is no thermostat...

So what part# sensor did you use? And how did it connect to the existing harness? Been looking to add an Oil Temp gauge for a while now.

Thanks,

Mark

Old 08-03-2015, 09:27 AM
Tryker Dude
Tourer

I bought and installed the HD Oil Temp Gauge and kit (about $150). As per the instructions the sensor is installed in the pan next to the drain plug. Thus it is not affected by the oil cooler or thermostat. The gauge is put in the fairing console in place of the Ambient Air Temp Gauge. Normal running temps should be around 230-270 degrees. I've experienced oil temps close to 300 degrees in traffic and hot summer conditions. It should also be brought to mind that the rear cylinder runs about 25% hotter than the front. So anything you can do to get more air to the rear cylinder will help considerably. Installation is not too hard, however as stated in other threads the gauge swap out can be a bit tedious. All in all the oil temp gauge is much more useful than the ambient air temp gauge.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2014 ambient air sensor