Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

2013 Trike - Wife naps on Long Trips - Seatbelt ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2015, 04:23 PM
Harley711
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2013 Trike - Wife naps on Long Trips - Seatbelt ?

OK, I know there will be some who think I'm crazy for even asking this question. But, the truth is, I'm probably crazy before I ever thought of this question.

I took my Harley Trike to Deadwood a few weeks ago - 500 miles each way. Some pretty boring country from Billings to Deadwood. My wife likes to be my passenger, once we get into nice areas, but gets bored and starts to nap off during stretches of ugly interstate. I do stop often, but this is still a concern.

She asked me when we got back if there was a seatbelt to keep her on the trike, if she did fall asleep. I googled and found only one -
http://www.jcwhitney.com/seat-belts-...m133j1s19.jcwx

It's more of a universal seat belt than one specifically for HD.

Anyone have experience with this ? Opinions ?

She would not wear it in town traffic, or when sight-seeing, only when on long rides.

Probably some will say that it would be worse to be strapped down to a trike, if it started doing flips. Yeah, probably, but if I'm going 75 mph on an interstate, and something causes my trike to start doing flips, neither one of us will likely survive anyway.

I know that if she fell off the trike at 75 mph, she probably would die.

Thoughtful thoughts, please. And yes, I'm 69 years old, but have been riding Harleys, dirt-bikes, trailbikes, motocross, supercross, trikes, since I was 14, so I am a bit experienced.

Clark

Old 08-11-2015, 04:44 PM
Captain Itch
Sponsor
Received 602 Likes on 325 Posts

I would strap her in .. And that 4 point harness will keep her next to you,Just check out how to mount it. On the road I see passengers reading books and and all types of things .. Good luck with that project .

Old 08-11-2015, 06:49 PM
Raxus
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I just pinch my wife's leg or b00b if she really is snoring. Gets her going for another 100 or so.

Rax

Old 08-11-2015, 07:29 PM
Casper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 285 Likes on 189 Posts

I know quite a few wives that sleep on the back of touring bikes, two and three wheelers.

Do you have a drivers backrest? If so I wouldn't worry about it, don't think would fall off...but that's just my opinion...

Old 08-11-2015, 09:01 PM
sullyj020
Cruiser
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Wear the T-Shirt that says, ( If you can read this...then the Bitch fell off )

maybe that will help her stay awake.

Old 08-11-2015, 09:20 PM
BinIdaho
Stellar HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

Friend took her 6-yr granddaughter on one of our 100 mile rides thru the mountains. Carla just used a bungee cord around the wee-one...and yes, passenger did fall asleep for 50 miles, but didn't fall off. (Was on a GW trike).

Old 08-11-2015, 11:48 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,939 Likes on 2,294 Posts

Mary sleeps sometimes on the back of the Tri-Glide. On the Ultra (2 wheels) she slept all the time...a lot!

With the wrap-around back-rest, I really don't think it's possible to fall off. Sometimes she will nod forward, her helmet will hit the back of mine and wake her up.

She fell asleep a couple of times on the back of the Sportster, it had a tall sissy bar, but no wrap-around back rest. That she could fall off of. Told her if she did it again I would need to start duct taping her on. lol

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 08-12-2015, 01:01 AM
dirtdobber
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

If your concerned , how about arm rests. My past wife would go to sleep quick. Even opened the intercom more than once snoring.
i put on arm rests and i do belive she was unable to fall off.

Old 08-12-2015, 02:11 AM
sloufoot
Received 4,081 Likes on 3,483 Posts

If you really want something to help, you might look at the backrest with extended arm rests. They are only about 3" longer, but you wouldn't need to worry about hooking up all the time, & they are there all the time.

Old 08-12-2015, 06:16 AM
cochon
Road Warrior
Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

Speaking as a veteran of countless miles with my wife snoring and bouncing her head off my back, I don't think that it's possible for her to fall off without the driver knowing that she is about to fall. That said, why not put a seatbelt on the trike if it makes her feel safer? That seatbelt in JCWhitney's looks like it would do the trick nicely. I just don't think it will look very nice once it is installed.

Quick Reply: 2013 Trike - Wife naps on Long Trips - Seatbelt ?