Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Trike conversion or HD Trike

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2015, 11:52 PM
SBFD8
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trike conversion or HD Trike

Hello, I have Back issues and knee issues which has forced me to retire, so I have a 2007 Ultra Classic Fire Fighter ed. I am thinking about having Lehmans convert my bike into a trike instead of buying a new trike. After seeing all the issues with the trikes I went thru enough issues with my 2007 when I first bought it seems to be almost the same as the trike's have Pinging, heat, etc. but I finally fixed those issues for the most part. I really like my bike but I think a trike would be much easier for me plus I don't want to buy all that chrome again.
Any thoughts on the idea pro's or cons?

Thanks for any input
Al

Old 08-13-2015, 02:03 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,931 Likes on 2,288 Posts

Originally Posted by SBFD8
Hello, I have Back issues and knee issues which has forced me to retire, so I have a 2007 Ultra Classic Fire Fighter ed. I am thinking about having Lehmans convert my bike into a trike instead of buying a new trike. After seeing all the issues with the trikes I went thru enough issues with my 2007 when I first bought it seems to be almost the same as the trike's have Pinging, heat, etc. but I finally fixed those issues for the most part. I really like my bike but I think a trike would be much easier for me plus I don't want to buy all that chrome again.
Any thoughts on the idea pro's or cons?

Thanks for any input
Al
Hi Al, sorry about your back and knee issues.

Whichever way you go, trikes are their own kind of fun, and I think you will enjoy it.

There are a lot of things to consider.

A few of the reasons that TG's have the heat issues they do:

Wind is not able flow un-impaired along the sides like they can on a bike.

There is more weight, putting more effort on the engine

There is more wind resistance (and this is a much bigger factor that it may first appear to be)

The reason I share this is that you have your 2007 sorted for it's air flow, weight and wind resistance...but it might all resurface if you convert it.

The Lehman conversion you are contemplating has almost the same body style and weight as the TG.

If doing a conversion I would get something that was much more streamline focusing on two factors-

Less wind resistance

Allowing more wind to flow past the front wheel, past the engine and past the rear wheels. The TG and Lehman have a big parachute action going on at the flat panels between the fenders and side covers, then the fenders themselves.

Something to think about.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 08-13-2015, 04:21 AM
roadking2000
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 127 Likes on 100 Posts

A couple years ago I was in your shoes as far as deciding whether to convert or buy a Tri. I converted and it was the best mod I ever did to a bike. I had several test rides on a total of 5 different trikes. Lehman, Roadsmith, Champion, CSC, and the Triglide. IMO the Triglide was the worst of the bunch. I didn't like the straight axle as well as I liked IRS and I didn't like the electric reverse. I ended up with a Champion IRS with mechanical reverse. In your situation you are probably looking at about a couple grand difference in the price of a new tri and converting what you already have and love. I don't think you can make a wrong decision regardless of which way you go, but if it were me, and it's not, I'd convert and keep the ride you already like. My situation was different from yours because I was dealing with a Roadking with no fairing or lowers that didn't have big heat issues.

Old 08-13-2015, 08:48 AM
scuba1954
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I checked into having a Lehman conversion done to my 2012 Road Glide. I was given a price of $16,000.00. Figured it would be extremely difficult to sell it later and get that money back so I sold it and bought a new 14 tri glide.

Old 08-13-2015, 09:04 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

If looking at conversions I would also look at Hannigan, their new Transformer is a great looking piece http://www.hannigantrikes.com/produc...n-transformer/.

Old 08-13-2015, 02:51 PM
SBFD8
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info somethings I did not think about. Thank you

Old 08-13-2015, 08:59 PM
dirtdobber
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

If you can test ride some of the conversions before hand that could answer all your question. Or at least some of them.
I was going to trike my 2012 cvo street glide. I went to several builders to get quotes. I ended buying one out right because of the low cost difference in buying out right and converting. I sold my CVO and pocketed some of the money after buying out right.

Old 08-14-2015, 08:05 PM
Casper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 285 Likes on 189 Posts

Couple of things I looked at"
1. Warranty, factory 2 years, conversion, none
2. Repairs, factory any HD dealer, conversion, you take you chances on service.
3. Resale, I think it would be better with factory

If I were to do a conversion I would go with California SideCar, why? I just like the looks and options.
Hannigan is a stand up company, nothing but good things said about them

It's my understanding that Leman (champion) was out of business, I may be wrong.