Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Need help please, long post

Old 08-17-2015, 07:36 PM
JRdiesel
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help please, long post

I ordered a 2016 Tri glide ultra to ride with my wife. she signed up at our community collage for lessons and to get certificate for licenses. The plan was going great until last night. Our daughter's boy friend was flown to shock trauma. He was riding with 3 other man and as the story goes a white truck on a country road rolled thru a stop sign as these guys just pulled on the street leaving a local watering hole (just one beer) the first biker hit the truck on it side and ended up in a corn field just scraped up. The second biker my daughters boy friend locked up his brakes and the third biker hit him in the rear and snapped the front forks on a fat boy. Both bike layer over and slid. My daughters boy friend broke his neck busted his head at the lower back 17 staples and has bleeding on the brain. After his 2nd cat scan looks like the bleeding has stopped and looks like he will be ok. Time will tell. They are all in my prayers. My problem is that my wife now refuses to get on a bike. And does not want me to get the Tri glide. I have not road a bike on the road in 40 years and was looking forwarded to ridding again. How do you move forward after this I really would like to ride. This is a great fourm that I have just recently joined. Thanks in advance.

Old 08-17-2015, 08:33 PM
dirtdobber
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

You really need to understand how your wife feels after such a tragedy.
Trikes are safer for several reasons. better braking, yes they will stop quicker than a 2 wheel bike will in most cases, the chances are far less for it to be on it's side. It takes a lot to get em to turn over.
I hear it a lot from family members about how unsafe they are. All I can say is this: Nothing happens in God's world by mistake, there is a reason that we can't understand.

Old 08-17-2015, 09:17 PM
Oogie Wa Wa
Road Master
Received 388 Likes on 254 Posts

Man, give her some time, it's only been a day. Just be the doting hubby and dad for a while, get them through this, don't fret over it, and you can work it out later.

Old 08-18-2015, 06:10 AM
paw paw willie
Banned
Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by dirtdobber
You really need to understand how your wife feels after such a tragedy.
Trikes are safer for several reasons. better braking, yes they will stop quicker than a 2 wheel bike will in most cases, the chances are far less for it to be on it's side. It takes a lot to get em to turn over.
I hear it a lot from family members about how unsafe they are. All I can say is this: Nothing happens in God's world by mistake, there is a reason that we can't understand.

Well said

Old 08-18-2015, 07:46 AM
cochon
Road Warrior
Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

When people say to me that they will never ride a bike because they know somebody who got in an accident and was injured, I always ask them if they ever knew anybody who was in an accident in a car and was injured. Do you still ride in a car? I know that it's kind of a fatalistic view, but I believe that when the Big Guy up above says it is your time, it doesn't matter what you're riding in/on, or where you are. Did you actually pay for the trike, or did you just put some good faith money down? If the dealer is any kind of a business man ( and I assume he is) he might let you out of your deal. He isn't going to have any problem getting rid of the Trike. Give your wife some time to calm down and she may change her mind again. If she still doesn't want to ride after awhile, She should not. Our prayers are with your daughter's Boyfriend and all his and your family.

Old 08-18-2015, 07:59 AM
Raxus
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I agree with everyone here in that your wife needs time.

One thing everyone in my family knows is that if (God forbid) something were to happen to us on our bike, we went out doing something we LOVE to do. My kids are all grown up now but they understand this and accepts it.

Rax

Old 08-18-2015, 08:13 AM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts

My best answer is that people die or are injured every day from thousands of causes. There is no way to avoid life except by dying.

Everyone, including your wife knows people that have died in car crashes, but she does not quit riding in a car. People die in plane crashes. Does she refuse to fly? A study shows that 1 person per day dies from a bath tub injury.

A friend of ours has been riding for years and thousands of miles. The worst she has ever been hurt was when she slipped getting out of the tub and broke a leg.

To let such things control your life means that you are marking time until you die rather than living life to the fullest. I would rather die living than to live dying.

Bill

Old 08-18-2015, 09:02 AM
Raxus
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by billnourse
My best answer is that people die or are injured every day from thousands of causes. There is no way to avoid life except by dying.

Everyone, including your wife knows people that have died in car crashes, but she does not quit riding in a car. People die in plane crashes. Does she refuse to fly? A study shows that 1 person per day dies from a bath tub injury.

A friend of ours has been riding for years and thousands of miles. The worst she has ever been hurt was when she slipped getting out of the tub and broke a leg.

To let such things control your life means that you are marking time until you die rather than living life to the fullest. I would rather die living than to live dying.

Bill
Well said Bill!

Rax

Old 08-18-2015, 09:56 AM
Fearless (old nickname)
Road Master
Received 115 Likes on 103 Posts
Default Thoughts and prayers

Our thoughts and prayers go to everyone, these horrible events touch everyone of us either directly or indirectly. We can't live in a bubble we must keep living and praying to the good in life. ride safely fearless

Old 08-18-2015, 01:17 PM
lah2420
Cruiser
Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

As others have said, my prayers are with those affected. I list a friend to a single vehicle accident a couple of weeks ago. For some unknown reason his bike went off the road and he was killed. At the visitation, his wife told each person who rode that they should not give up their passion for riding. Accidents happen. We are not guaranteed our next breath. Give your wife some time. I fully understand her thinking. My wife and I chose the opposite position and continue to ride. Each person has to go with their own convictions.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need help please, long post