Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Do you carry coolant with you?

Old 08-19-2015, 04:11 PM
Mr.Softy
Grand HDF Member

Received 1,199 Likes on 711 Posts
Default Do you carry coolant with you?

For the water head owners do you carry a jug of coolant when you ride? This will be my first water cooled trike and just don't know if I should carry a jug or not.

Old 08-19-2015, 04:46 PM
FuzzyWuzHe
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On long trips I carry a pint can of HD coolant ... just incase ... since they fixed the filer neck, my level has been rock solid.

Old 08-19-2015, 05:10 PM
Mr.Softy
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by FuzzyWuzHe
On long trips I carry a pint can of HD coolant ... just incase ... since they fixed the filer neck, my level has been rock solid.

Thanks for the reply. I would feel more comfortable carrying something I might not need to use, than needing something I didn't carry putting me on the side of the road.

Old 08-19-2015, 05:21 PM
questor
Road Master

Serious question: if it is a closed system, where and how do you add coolant?

Thought I would share the following, yes it is one year old, but interesting. Anyone know the outcome of the suit?:

Harley-Davidson Bikes Leak Engine Coolant, Suit Says

By Lisa Ryan
Law360, New York (August 29, 2014, 1:00 PM ET) -- Harley-Davidson Inc. was hit Thursday with a putative class action in Illinois federal court, accusing the company of breaching a 24-month, unlimited-mileage written warranty by not repairing an engine defect in certain motorcycle models a buyer says causes the coolant to leak constantly.
The suit alleges the motor giant’s 2014 model year FLHTKSE CVO Limited motorcycles have a design defect that affects the performance of its engine and associated coolant systems. But even though the defective parts are covered under Harley-Davidson’s warranty, the company has discovered a way to repair the defect, the complaint claims

http://www.law360.com/articles/57221...lant-suit-says

Last edited by questor; 08-19-2015 at 05:35 PM.
Old 08-20-2015, 05:25 AM
Diamond lil 2010
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use a small dish soap bottle filled with orange coolant.

Old 08-20-2015, 09:21 PM
Hard Ride
Road Captain
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

No because if I lose it all what is it going to hurt...take a look at what it cools (at)...what a joke...

Old 08-20-2015, 11:24 PM
screwball
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Nope, If you loose your coolant, you have a bigger problem than a pint spare will fix. If you feel the need extra coolant "Just in Case" you should carry a quart of oil, extra transmission fluid, break fluid, Oh, and a couple of gallons of gas....just in case. Maybe an extra ignition module, a spare security fob. Now that your trunk if filled with 'just in case stuff' you may need a trailer.....

Way back when I used to heavily modify my Harleys. My Softail Springer broke down a couple of times because of MY modifications. I couldn't carry enough spare parts or tools to fix it. My advise to all long distance bikers is carry a credit card with a high balance, a cell phone, and a towing card.

Good Luck, stop worrying and ride that thing

Old 08-21-2015, 03:06 PM
Mr.Softy
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by screwball
Nope, If you loose your coolant, you have a bigger problem than a pint spare will fix. If you feel the need extra coolant "Just in Case" you should carry a quart of oil, extra transmission fluid, break fluid, Oh, and a couple of gallons of gas....just in case. Maybe an extra ignition module, a spare security fob. Now that your trunk if filled with 'just in case stuff' you may need a trailer.....

Way back when I used to heavily modify my Harleys. My Softail Springer broke down a couple of times because of MY modifications. I couldn't carry enough spare parts or tools to fix it. My advise to all long distance bikers is carry a credit card with a high balance, a cell phone, and a towing card.

Good Luck, stop worrying and ride that thing

You're probably right, I just remember the stories of guys when the water head first came out. That they would puke on the ground after a run when they parked. I just thought if that still happened it would be a wise thing to carry some top off with me.

Old 08-21-2015, 07:38 PM
FuzzyWuzHe
Road Captain

When I first got my 15, it had a tiny leak ... while I waited for parts, about 6 days, I had to add almost a pint ... the whole system only holds a quart ... the good news .. the bike will run just fine with no coolant. And yes, I do carry a quart of syn 3 just incase too.

Old 08-22-2015, 09:18 AM
HarleyDawg
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just curious if the the cooling system has a pump and if so what happens if you run the pump dry with no coolant?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Do you carry coolant with you?