Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

TriGlide Riders, I need your HELP !!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2015, 06:18 AM
ShovelEd
Club Member
Received 39,190 Likes on 10,242 Posts

Had a '09 bought new.
After 3 years and <6,000 miles, traded for an '12 Ultra Limited.
I'd be worn out after 170 mile ride to my other place.
You have lean inside and MAKE the Tri go around a turn. (Ride it like a 4-wheeler)
Nearly impossible to miss ripples, chuck holes in the road.
If you're used to only using the front brake to stop, you'll QUICKLY learn the Tri will slide the front tire until impact. USE THE REAR BRAKE.
In traffic, It was nice not to have to put my feet down.

Same ride on the Ultra, relaxed.
I'm not a Trike guy I guess.

Last edited by ShovelEd; 08-25-2015 at 05:46 PM.
Old 08-25-2015, 07:32 AM
5x40
Cruiser
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I am 68 yrs young. have owned motorcycles since 1965. before owing the 2013 HD Tri Glide we owned a 1500 GW w/Hanningan sidecar. I don't understand the statements stating you have too "muscle" the trike...I have no problems turning and certainly none going through normal 2 lane highway curves. if you are having too "muscle" through your turns then you are doing something very wrong.

Old 08-25-2015, 01:33 PM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by 5x40
I am 68 yrs young. have owned motorcycles since 1965. before owing the 2013 HD Tri Glide we owned a 1500 GW w/Hanningan sidecar. I don't understand the statements stating you have too "muscle" the trike...I have no problems turning and certainly none going through normal 2 lane highway curves. if you are having too "muscle" through your turns then you are doing something very wrong.
It all depends on how fast you are going and how sharp the curve is. A sharp curve and some speed will cause you to muscle the trike through the corner.

Old 08-25-2015, 03:36 PM
ShovelEd
Club Member
Received 39,190 Likes on 10,242 Posts

if you are having too "muscle" through your turns then you are doing something very wrong.
...... Or taking 25mph exit ramps at 40+ mph.
I'm 60, but I don't let that hold me back.

Last edited by ShovelEd; 08-25-2015 at 03:39 PM.
Old 08-25-2015, 04:49 PM
Fusionfool
Road Captain
Received 66 Likes on 53 Posts

Until last week never had a rear tire come off the ground. On a major switchback we had the font wheel catch a stone and wash out, skip then catch traction again causing a quick turn. Thankfully both the wife and I were leaning into the turn and the rear wheel came right back down. Coming from 2 wheel for many years, I have to say, it may have been worse on 2 but can not say that for sure would only know if same condition happened on 2. Bottom line is we should have slowed down, and did not.
As others have stated it takes more arm force to turn, but I would not say hard or difficult. With experience on a two wheeler you will know where to initiate the turn to make it easier. Just take it slower at first and gain confidence as you go. We have no regrets and really appreciate the trike on windy days. Also love the trike when in area's where you encounter stop and go traffic.

Old 08-26-2015, 08:27 AM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

My wife is 63 years old and had to go to a TriGlide because of knee issues. She was not too happy at first, but now is very pleased with the trike.

She has 30,000 miles on her 2012 that has included the Blue Ridge Parkway, Tail of the Dragon, Mt. Evans, Colorado, Pikes Peak, Colorado, and all the 10,000 ft. mountain passes in Colorado. She has also ridden the good roads around Eureka Springs, Ark.

She says that it takes a little more effort to negotiate the curves, but it doesn't hold her back. On a recent trip in Colorado I found myself scaping the floorboards on the Limited on some curves and every time I looked back she was right behind me.

The trike rides a little rougher, but proper shock and tire pressures help with that and the installation of a lift kit seemed to help both ride and handling. One complaint the wife has is that she thinks the trike is a little squirrely in hard rain. It has a tendency to try to hydroplane more than two wheels requiring he to slow down some.

Bill

Last edited by billnourse; 08-26-2015 at 08:32 AM.
Old 08-28-2015, 04:31 PM
TomWoodgeard
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm 65 years old, and I purchased a 2013 Anniversary Tri Glide, and immediately rode it from just south of Cleveland to my home in Florida.
I rode in the rain through the mountains, no problem.
The hardest thing to remember when you get on it for the 1st time is to USE YOUR ARMS to steer. It took me one turn to remember that. Comes natural after 5 minutes of riding. I can take corners a lot faster than my 2 wheeled friends. The relaxation factor is tremendously better on the Trike. I put Progressive Air Shocks on mine and that made a difference.

I bought my Tri Glide because I have Arthritis in both hips and thought it would feel better on a Tri Glide than on 2 wheels. After riding it for a year I have concluded that it made no difference on 3 wheels instead of 2, for MY condition.

(Shameless Plug Coming)................. I have decided to go back to 2 wheels, so my Tri Glide, on which I put $6700 in extras , is for sale.
It is in the HD Forums Classified - "2013 Anniversary Tri Glide " It is LOADED and in PERFECT condition.

Old 08-28-2015, 07:13 PM
BinIdaho
Stellar HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

"Muscle" a Tri-Glide? Rides like a "John Deere" tractor.....what the hell are you people smoking!!!

To the OP, take a Tri-Glide out for a demo ride with you wife on the back. You will love, love the ride. Pay no attention to the negative comments....they're talkin out of the wrong end!

Old 08-29-2015, 04:36 AM
Fusionfool
Road Captain
Received 66 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by BinIdaho
"Muscle" a Tri-Glide? Rides like a "John Deere" tractor.....what the hell are you people smoking!!!

To the OP, take a Tri-Glide out for a demo ride with you wife on the back. You will love, love the ride. Pay no attention to the negative comments....they're talkin out of the wrong end!
X2
The Tri Glide is comfortable to the wife and I, after progressive shocks were put on, we did that with 2 wheel so no difference, we also have the lift kit that helps some with comfort, and a lot with clearance. We can ride the Tri Glide for 12+ hours and not be discomfort, can not say that for the 2 wheel especially on a windy day. The only complaint I hear from friends that have test drove is they are under powered. They should have a larger power plant for the size machine. I would not steer away from a Tri Glide for that reason, but I do think HD needs to revisit the engine size. I find with Mods we have done we have enough power. Would I like more? Daaaaa we always want more don't we?

Old 09-03-2015, 07:15 PM
Noble Jim
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Old Triker

I'm 68 years old. I still ride my RKC but my wife won't get on it with me. Therefore, we have a trike. I bought the TG and never looked back. Now, about the back thing, my back is bad. The TG does not make it better or worse. Go ahead, you'll love the experience.
Jim