Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

TriGlide Riders, I need your HELP !!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2015, 05:44 PM
Marks57
Tourer
Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts
Default TriGlide Riders, I need your HELP !!!

Guys, I have a 2013 Ultra Classic that I absolutely love. I'm 58 and my back is not what it used to be. I'm thinking of going to the dealer tomorrow and trying out a TriGlide. I know it will ride differently than my 2 wheeler, but it might be an option for me to keep riding, especially with my wife on back.

What are some of the things that you guys like and dislike about a trike?

Did you evolve from 2 to 3 wheels?

How is the handling on a trike and what is the likelihood of it flipping over?

I would really appreciate your input.

Old 08-23-2015, 07:18 PM
Fearless (old nickname)
Road Master
Received 115 Likes on 103 Posts
Default Greatest thing we ever Did!!!

I had not ridden to over 40 years my wife never. True the don't lean but they don't go down in gravel or a unexpected pot hole. Try it you will most likely love the relaxed ride take you bride with you Ride Safely Fearless

Attached Thumbnails TriGlide Riders, I need your HELP !!!-dsc00110.jpg  
Old 08-23-2015, 07:26 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,273 Likes on 11,143 Posts

Major differences are:
- the bike doesn't lean in turns, but the lateral force can cause you to need to lean your body into the turns.
- takes some muscling to turn
- extremely stable
- wider rear footprint adds to rough rougher ride
- heavier than the equivalent 2 wheeler, so a bit slower to accelerate, and slow, and gets lower gas mileage.
- you can apply full breaks without fear of going down

No, it is not easy to flip. You would have to work really hard to flip one. Probably about equivalent to a high side flip on a car.

we love ours...and it is great on trips.

Old 08-23-2015, 07:48 PM
screwball
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Nearly 50 years on 2 wheels, over 40 on Harleys. Trikes DO NOT ride smoother than 2 wheelers. If riding you 2 wheeler hurts your back, a trike will kill it. You have to muscle steer it, leaning will do nothing. They aren't as fast as a 2 wheeler, but you have been riding Harleys for years, none are fast.

All that said, I LOVE my Freewheeler. So much more fun to ride than the Tri-Glide I traded in. Wife and I both are on trikes for medical reasons, it was 3 wheels or no wheels.

Good Luck!

Old 08-23-2015, 08:06 PM
Shodanusmc
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rode a 2 wheels many years ago for many years. Hip will need replacing soon. Got the Tri-Glide with the DK lift kit. Agree with what others say. 1230 pounds with a passenger is a bit of weight so it is slower but I have no trouble keeping up with a group of rides. Steering is a bit harder but after the first week I never seem to think about it. Very stable platform even in turns as long as you don't get crazy. get 34 MPG and wife does not complain when with me. Not sure how it would affect a bad back but it is EASY to hold up for a 65 year old with a bad hip

Old 08-23-2015, 08:49 PM
sullyj020
Cruiser
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

On my first short ride, I said what the Hell is this ?? I didn't like it at all. But after a few hundred miles it gets better. Now after a few thousand miles I love it. Very easy ride, so much so you could take a nap on it. lol It's true it is different from a two wheeler, but IMHO its better.

Old 08-23-2015, 09:01 PM
Diamond lil 2010
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with scweball.they ride extremely rough.i always tell people when they ask.i tell them it rides like a johndeere tractor..

Old 08-23-2015, 09:27 PM
kyguy
Cruiser

I'm 65 years old, rode a Road King for 10 years, I've had 3 back surgery's. We traded for a 2015 tri glide about 3 months ago. We have put around 1600 miles on it during that time. There is so much I like better on three wheels, great storage, no back pain, a lot more fun for the wife and I. great braking, no fear of laying it down.
The best thing of all is that when I mention going for a ride, by the time I get ready her little butt is in the passenger seat and ready to go.

Old 08-24-2015, 08:54 PM
TimAT
Advanced

We traded a '07 SE Ultra for an '11 Tri-Glide. I wasn't happy at first, rough ride, didn't work the corners, the usual stuff. Added DK's Lift kit and started playing with the air pressure in the shocks and tires. Still a bit rough, but better. 20k miles later, I'm having as much fun riding as I ever did. We're always 2-up. I don't worry about all of the things I did on 2 wheels with my bride on the back seat. And it's so much easier for her to get on and off of. That alone makes it worth it.

Old 08-24-2015, 09:28 PM
acunn1
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am 60 yo and got my trike three years ago because of my knees. Takes a bit to get used to, but love mine. Stable as can be. No worries about sand or wet leaves in corners. It will out corner a regular full dressed Harley. Ask DK in this forum. He is on a ride from Mississppi to British Columbia on his, here is the link to that discussion (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/tri-g...and-bears.html). Two years ago he rode from Mississippi all the way to Alaska above the artic circle and back, here is that link (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/tri-g...er-2013-a.html). He has some great insight into tri-glides.

Quick Reply: TriGlide Riders, I need your HELP !!!