Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Annoying oil leak up front

Old 08-31-2015, 11:49 AM
Tryker Dude
Tourer
Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts
Unhappy Annoying oil leak up front

Good day everyone, I've been chasing a very persistent oil leak up front somewhere around the oil filter or cooler adaptor plate. At first I suspected it was a leaking oil pressure sending unit but have ruled out that possibility. Has anyone had this problem and have corrected it. It's not a big leak but more of a slow seepage. I've also checked/changed the filter several times to no avail. Also it's not the cooler hoses. Thanks in advance for any help.

Last edited by Tryker Dude; 08-31-2015 at 11:53 AM.
Old 08-31-2015, 01:38 PM
Fusionfool
Road Captain
Received 66 Likes on 53 Posts

Observation of my experience. When I change the oil, some always seems to drip down from the oil filter after removing, then into the oil cooler fins. I could not wipe all of it off, and it would drip. I have since started using a weed sprayer and the green parts cleaner to spray into the cooling fins, followed by a good rinse with water. Solved what I thought was a leak. Just a thought.

Old 08-31-2015, 09:15 PM
dirtdobber
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Does it use the old style oil filter adapter?
If so it is possible the gasket is leaking in. Those were rather known for leaking slightly.

Old 09-02-2015, 06:12 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Tryker Dude
Good day everyone, I've been chasing a very persistent oil leak up front somewhere around the oil filter or cooler adaptor plate. At first I suspected it was a leaking oil pressure sending unit but have ruled out that possibility. Has anyone had this problem and have corrected it. It's not a big leak but more of a slow seepage. I've also checked/changed the filter several times to no avail. Also it's not the cooler hoses. Thanks in advance for any help.
I had to replace the oil cooler adapter on my dad's 09 Triglide a couple years ago. He developed a oil leak as you described. I first tried replacing the gasket, it still leaked. I bought a new adapter PN 63059-09, it hasn't leaked since. It looked like the old adapter warped which caused it to start leaking.

Old 09-02-2015, 01:56 PM
TheBobs
Road Master
Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

I have a JAGG 10 Row and have the same exact symptoms. Today it was 3-4 drops. It's been 1-2 drops for a while. For Big Blue, it's the oil cooler adapter leaking this time. Last time I had a leak in this area, it was the clutch cable leaking past the o-ring and running down the cable to the low spot, which coincidentally is in the same place as the oil cooler adapter leak.

Last edited by TheBobs; 09-02-2015 at 01:58 PM.
Old 09-03-2015, 09:23 AM
Tryker Dude
Tourer

Originally Posted by TheBobs
I have a JAGG 10 Row and have the same exact symptoms. Today it was 3-4 drops. It's been 1-2 drops for a while. For Big Blue, it's the oil cooler adapter leaking this time. Last time I had a leak in this area, it was the clutch cable leaking past the o-ring and running down the cable to the low spot, which coincidentally is in the same place as the oil cooler adapter leak.
Thanks, I'll look into that possibility.

Old 09-05-2015, 09:44 AM
Tryker Dude
Tourer

Originally Posted by msocko3
I had to replace the oil cooler adapter on my dad's 09 Triglide a couple years ago. He developed a oil leak as you described. I first tried replacing the gasket, it still leaked. I bought a new adapter PN 63059-09, it hasn't leaked since. It looked like the old adapter warped which caused it to start leaking.
Ouch, thanks msocko3, that's what I was thinking also and afraid of. New adaptor plate and hoses almost $300. I've already tried the gasket replacement without success. Being on a very limited fixed income I'll have to save up for the parts and live with the leak for a bit longer. Thanks for all of the replies and suggestions.

Old 09-06-2015, 06:07 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Tryker Dude
Ouch, thanks msocko3, that's what I was thinking also and afraid of. New adaptor plate and hoses almost $300. I've already tried the gasket replacement without success. Being on a very limited fixed income I'll have to save up for the parts and live with the leak for a bit longer. Thanks for all of the replies and suggestions.

No reason to replace the hoses if there isn't anything wrong with them.