Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

linked brakes

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2015, 12:42 AM
missedem
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

+ 1 to how awesome these brakes are. Saved my butt today. I was cruising 75 and some idiot pulls out in front of me on the hwy. in my lane and I had no where to go. No where to turn , swerve or get out of the way. I slightly smoked my back tires for a second but the trike stopped straight and true. Came to a stop in no time at all and saved me from a collision. I am grateful for the linked brakes. I need to slow in a curve quick or get the best handling I just kick it down into 4th gear and the engine torque takes care of the rest.

Old 09-27-2015, 05:53 AM
Fusionfool
Road Captain
Received 66 Likes on 53 Posts

msocko3 thanks for the detail, I was also thinking it was software but probably just assumed that from two wheel methods.

Old 09-28-2015, 02:13 PM
foundryratjim
Cruiser
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by missedem
+ 1 to how awesome these brakes are. Saved my butt today. I was cruising 75 and some idiot pulls out in front of me on the hwy. in my lane and I had no where to go. No where to turn , swerve or get out of the way. I slightly smoked my back tires for a second but the trike stopped straight and true. Came to a stop in no time at all and saved me from a collision. I am grateful for the linked brakes. I need to slow in a curve quick or get the best handling I just kick it down into 4th gear and the engine torque takes care of the rest.

I too had a situation such as this happen to me except it was during a hard rain. The Freewheeler stopped quickly and straight! I don't have the oppuotunity to drive many curvy roads so i can't say anything how it handles them. But i like the brakes.

Old 10-24-2015, 02:57 PM
Bigrig793
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lah2420
I don't have to worry about aggressive riding. My back seat rider knows which parts of my body are most susceptible to pain while riding and makes use of them if she doesn't like something I am doing.
Your passenger must have went to the same school as mine. LOL

Old 10-31-2015, 12:04 AM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 929 Likes on 571 Posts

I got my Freewheeler to use in the winter. Last winter when I ran on packed snow in town the front wheel would lock up when I used the pedal only. I was under 25 before the stop signs and thought that the linked system would be off when under twenty five mph. It will lock up at 10 mph.

For my use it sucks.

Old 11-01-2015, 12:21 AM
sloufoot
Received 4,082 Likes on 3,484 Posts

Originally Posted by lh4x4
I got my Freewheeler to use in the winter. Last winter when I ran on packed snow in town the front wheel would lock up when I used the pedal only. I was under 25 before the stop signs and thought that the linked system would be off when under twenty five mph. It will lock up at 10 mph.

For my use it sucks.
It sure isn't speed controlled. And also should be ABS in my opinion. Especially with that narrow front tire.
The Tri Glide has a lot more weight on the front & bigger tires, but I bet they will lock up easily on slick also.

Old 11-17-2015, 10:23 PM
Oilcan
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I had linked brakes on a Gold Wing back in the late 90s and liked them. Different set up however in that when you applied the rear brake it applied only half the front brake (I don't know, perhaps the HD does the same). It was virtually impossible to lock up the wheels on the Wing. Took the MSF riders course and there is an exercise they do to control locked rear wheel. If you were on a Wing, you didn't participate because you could not lock it up. First dresser I had (01 Ultra), it took me a while to get used to NOT having the linked brakes and I locked up the rear a couple of times. Loved the ABS on my 2011 Limited and pretty sure I'll like the linked brakes on the 15 TG I just got. Right now, just trying to get used to it in general .... but having fun doing it.

Old 11-24-2015, 09:02 PM
ZD
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

I test rode a 2014 early last year and found the linked brakes quite annoying actually. It was about a 10 mile test ride, so in all fairness there really wasn't time to get used to feeling the nose dive when I hit the rear brake.

The brakes on my 2011 ain't anything to write home about, but the Mrs & I have had a couple incidents where 'traditional' braking did just fine. Wife was quite impressed the 1st time we had a red-light runner.

Been riding since 1967, so I'm pretty familiar with 'manual' this and that!

Fairness in reporting - I don't like cruise control either!

Old 12-02-2015, 10:50 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 929 Likes on 571 Posts

Had a new problem with the linked brakes on the Freewheeler.

They fried the rotors! Going down a road and slowed to turn off on a side road. When I accelerated after turning the engine seemed to be labored. Then I smelled the distinctive odor of brake pads.

The brakes did not release. HD calipers are not rebuildable so HD did warranty them by providing new calipers and rotors.

Just got it back and with the next five five days I should get plenty on miles on them to test them out. They failed right at 7,000 miles.

Besides I needed to get 1K on the 120ST they dropped in it when they were doing the brakes.

Old 03-02-2020, 06:12 PM
SJG2022
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Freewheeler Linked Braking..

The 2016 Freewheeler seems to have a low pedal when applying the rear brake and nose dives I feel because the front application comes on hard... Anyone have any thoughts? None computer controlled, and no special valve in the system I can see!

Quick Reply: linked brakes