Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Best way to secure a Trike on a trailer?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2015, 02:46 PM
clydef1s
Intermediate
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I use one of these, plus straps on the front footboard brackets and the tie down brackets under the rear.

Best way to secure a Trike on a trailer?-wheel-chock.jpg

Old 10-02-2015, 05:27 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,499 Likes on 4,612 Posts

Hook a car trailer to the back of the trike and pull the car...

Old 10-02-2015, 05:35 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,499 Likes on 4,612 Posts

Duh...double post, sorry.

Old 10-12-2015, 12:10 PM
mervt198
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I travel from Canada to Arizona. Open flat bed trailer. Front wheel chock. Ratchet straps to Tie-Down Brackets from eGlide Goodiies. Ratchet strap over trailer hitch to hold the back end down.

Old 10-26-2015, 10:00 PM
Bob Witte
6th Gear
Location: Hudson, Florida (on the west coast 40 miles north of Tampa)

All good advice on the tie downs. Securing the front wheel via a chock is important if you have it, otherwise secure it some other way. I did a lot of trike towing in my day and in addition to the front wheel, liked to secure the middle frame section to both the front and rear of the flat bed (using separate straps). I also like to use wheel strapping "cradles" like you see on the common carriers and sold by Harbor Freight:

http://www.harborfreight.com/catalog...q=wheel+straps

If you are going to secure the handlebars, don't lock them down too tight (i.e. let the front suspension have some travel).

Old 10-27-2015, 08:09 PM
Skippy49
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use a B&W Biker bar to transport my wife's. Use another one for my bike behind hers. Couldn't be any simpler and secure. Hauled both to Florida and back with no issues whatever.
http://www.turnoverball.com/products...ycle/biker-bar

Attached Thumbnails Best way to secure a Trike on a trailer?-bwbikerbar_2_500.jpg  
Old 10-27-2015, 09:59 PM
Bob Witte
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Skippy49
I use a B&W Biker bar to transport my wife's. Use another one for my bike behind hers. Couldn't be any simpler and secure. Hauled both to Florida and back with no issues whatever.
http://www.turnoverball.com/products...ycle/biker-bar

Great idea, albeit a bit expensive for the infrequent hauler. But if a regular thing, I'd pop for it easily.

Old 10-28-2015, 09:30 AM
Skippy49
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Witte
Great idea, albeit a bit expensive for the infrequent hauler. But if a regular thing, I'd pop for it easily.
Not cheap, but I've sold them for around $340 shipped and if you buy a nice chock and the straps to go with it, you've spent close to that anyway. I was/am a dealer for Condor chocks too and I always thought they were great but after using this, I think it's the better way to go.

Old 10-28-2015, 10:32 AM
Bob Witte
6th Gear

Not cheap, but I've sold them for around $340 shipped and if you buy a nice chock and the straps to go with it, you've spent close to that anyway. I was/am a dealer for Condor chocks too and I always thought they were great but after using this, I think it's the better way to go.
Roger that! That's a worthwhile 11% savings! Certainly would consider it if I owned my own trailer.

Last edited by Bob Witte; 10-28-2015 at 10:36 AM.
Old 10-28-2015, 04:16 PM
graygoat
Road Master
Received 221 Likes on 187 Posts

I have used a Condor for many years on 2 wheelers and takes a bit of a tug to get back out of the wheel lock on the Condor. So am wondering about getting the trike out of it, will the Tri reverse handle this ok? I am considering using the chock without the camlock and just strapping the wheel in there pulling forward. Thoughts?

Quick Reply: Best way to secure a Trike on a trailer?