Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Pros and Cons of a Freewheeler

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2015, 01:10 PM
LAMA ORLANDO
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Pros and Cons of a Freewheeler

I'm had ed in the direction I'd a trike....bad hip....I'm digging the FW......any info would be appreciated. Can you post pics of your Freewheeler with custom parts such as apes or 21b front wheel.

thanks

Old 09-28-2015, 02:18 PM
topsgt75
Tourer
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Freewheeler

We got our FW in July and love it! No complaints at this time! We put a Sundowner seat and rider and passenger back rests on too!! Also added a DK custom lift kit.....wife said it made a big difference in ride quality!!

The following users liked this post:
2ndheart (10-17-2023)
Old 09-28-2015, 02:51 PM
screwball
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Bought my Freewheeler in September of last year, the first delivered to the dealer. Traded my '09 Tri-Glide, also the first one delivered to the same dealer. Wife and I are pretty much purists, the trikes are almost stock with the exception of comfort stuff. We ride the hell out of them. These (see siggie pix) are the 3rd and 4th trike we have owned. Trikes DO NOT ride easier than 2 wheelers. The ride is rougher, steer harder, and are a pain in the *** to park. That said, I LOVE MY 'FREE. My Ultra was a huge kick in the *** until my knees and hips went south. The trikes were a compromise between no motorcycling or a rocking chair. The 'Free was as close as I could get to my old Dyna. No frills, just lots of go.

Dante221 (12-14-2018)
Old 09-28-2015, 03:11 PM
Dave15
Tourer
Received 81 Likes on 47 Posts

We bought ours last November and have almost 4000 miles on it. Loving it. Only options were the passenger back rest and tinted windscreen with vent. Plan on pinstriping, exhaust and custom wheels in the future.

Old 09-28-2015, 03:28 PM
dirtdobber
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

How is the comfort with the Sundowner seat?
can't afford a mustang seat

Old 09-28-2015, 07:51 PM
topsgt75
Tourer
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I like the Sundowner seat.... a hell of a lot better than stock!! Especially on the passenger part of it. The wife was not comfortable on the stock seat! We have done a couple all day rides with the Sundowner.....no problems, no numbness!!

Old 09-29-2015, 08:21 PM
Hard Ride
Road Captain
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

If I had not planed on retiring in a couple of years I would have got the Freewheeler...had to have the Tri Glide to retire on to tour and camp the US...

Old 09-29-2015, 09:47 PM
paw paw willie
Banned
Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Got 22,000 on my FW. 31 states. 11 months old. Had an 11 and a 13 TG. FW is just as comfy and handles a whole lot better.

Old 09-29-2015, 09:50 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,273 Likes on 11,143 Posts

Pros and cons...vs what?

Old 09-29-2015, 10:52 PM
missedem
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

love my freewheeler. great daily ride. you can commute on it, do twisties on it, tour on it. Just a great all around bike. It takes awhile to figure out how it handles but once you do its great. Ive got a stage 1 with bassani mufflers the trike runs fantastic. The only problem I have had with it so far is the clutch switch that tells the bike when to start in gear is out. Under warrenty and an easy fix. Just have to wait for the part to get in.

I can't really think of a single con to having this . Pros are varied and many. Great handling, really good acceleration through all the gears. just a really fun bike/trike.

The one thing I wish HD would have done is make the clear coat a little harder to scratch. You really have to be careful with the paint job. If you do get a freewheeler a good windshield helps with all day comfort and I wish I had gotten the paint protection kit from HD . It runs about 150.00 but it would have been worth it. You can tour all day long at 80 mph in complete comfort.

The first time you get in bad weather or traffic and you don't have to hold up a heavy bike you might be asking yourself why you did not do this sooner. I love this trike. The 103 HO twin cam is an awesome motor.

Carl - FLRT (10-24-2023)

Quick Reply: Pros and Cons of a Freewheeler