Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Quick Detach Accessories

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2015, 09:14 AM
Bigrig793
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quick Detach Accessories

Whats with these quick detach accessories ? I just picked up the wifes new Freewheeler last week and I asked the dealer to make sure there was a windshield for it when I come to pick it up. So I get there and there it is in a box beside the trike, I politely asked if it had to be put together before it was put on. I was anxious to get the trike home for the wife to try it out because we were running out of decent weather, anyway he pulls the windshield out of the box lines it up with the quick detach posts and gives it a little push there you are he says ready to go. Hmmmm i'm thinking ok I just paid over $400 for this windshield that anyone could walk away with in about 10 to 15 seconds. I would also like to put a sissybar/backrest on the trike as well but same thing, press the two little buttons and out it comes. I was looking at prices for them and same thing by the time you buy the bar/clamp/pad there goes another $400 with the press of a button. While I do think it's handy to be able to remove these parts so easily I'm half afraid to leave it parked on a street somewhere while out shopping or visiting.
I did put the REDA bag locks on my UltraClassic as it was on the recall list for the Bags. Any thoughts on some kinda lock for the Windshield and Backrest for the Freewheeler ?

Old 11-08-2015, 05:32 AM
Fusionfool
Road Captain
Received 66 Likes on 53 Posts

Not sure if this is the style windshield quick release you have, but there is a locking version sold by HD. I have a link here so you can see it at Surdyke
http://www.surdyke.com/AdvPartInfo.a...umber=57400006
The dealer should be able to swap them I would think, since they did not ask if you wanted the locking style.
You could also check at Eglide goodies for other lockable quick releases.
http://eglidegoodies.com/id378.html

Old 11-08-2015, 07:43 AM
FLRT
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Make sure you have accessory coverage on your insurance policy and don't worry about it and just enjoy the trike!

The worst thing I've ever had to deal with after leaving my bike un-attended was coming out to find a boot scuff on my fender, and that happened outside the Harley dealer I was stopped at! Whoever left it there is lucky it came out and even luckier I didn't walk out to find him sitting on my bike! He would have left with a boot scuff on his ***...

Last edited by FLRT; 11-08-2015 at 07:47 AM.
Old 11-14-2015, 06:55 PM
missedem
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

when I travel I just take off the windshield and put it in the room. I put it on the next morning and off we go. I have never had anyone mess with the windshield but it could happen.
When I travel I try to stop in small towns off the beaten path but still close to where I want to go. so far this has seen me well through many trips without anything being stolen.

Old 08-18-2018, 08:50 PM
Polarispete
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When I travel I take the backrest off and either put it in my room or lock it in the trunk. As for the windshield same thing.

Old 08-22-2018, 07:13 AM
RedOregon
Tourer

Received 125 Likes on 82 Posts

I had the same thoughts when I bought mine. Never did anything about it, never had a problem. About the only thing I do is lock the trunk if I have to store my weapon in it or if I'm going to be away from it for an extended period of time. I also had a quick disconnect backrest on my ElectraGlide way back when, never any trouble.

Has ANYONE reading this ever had a quick disconnect accessory swiped?

Old 08-23-2018, 05:47 AM
Fusionfool
Road Captain
Received 66 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by RedOregon
I had the same thoughts when I bought mine. Never did anything about it, never had a problem. About the only thing I do is lock the trunk if I have to store my weapon in it or if I'm going to be away from it for an extended period of time. I also had a quick disconnect backrest on my ElectraGlide way back when, never any trouble.

Has ANYONE reading this ever had a quick disconnect accessory swiped?
No, I have never had any quick disconnect accessory taken. I have quick disconnect backrest, GPS, and Power Vision Turner, and in the past have had quick disconnect windshields. I know, I am probably pretty lucky with the GPS and Tuner, but if they know what they would be taking, they are both electronically safe. Meaning the Power Vision is married to the bike and takes getting a key from DynoJet to use with another bike. The GPS is registered and easily tracked by Garmin if it goes missing.

Old 08-23-2018, 07:29 AM
RedOregon
Tourer

Received 125 Likes on 82 Posts

Yeah, electronics on the bars would definitely give me the *******. Left my phone in the mount once (was using it for GPS) and went into a restaurant. Got seated and got a cold shiver up my spine when I reached for the phone, as the parking lot was pretty busy with a lot of people walking through it. Luckily no one swiped it, but it would have been real easy.

Old 08-23-2018, 08:09 AM
Coastal CVO
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 471 Likes on 278 Posts

I don't leave anything loose like phones, helmets, etc. I did have a detachable tour pak and saddlebags on my CVO, nobody ever touched the bike no matter where I parked it, I did come out to find people standing around looking at it on occasion, but, nobody sat on it, nody stole anything.

Old 08-23-2018, 09:17 AM
ord sgt
Grand HDF Member

Received 146 Likes on 99 Posts

When I try to remove the backrest from my FLRT, I struggle to get the thing out. If someone were to try a ****** and run , it would draw attention from anyone in the area. Helmets are left on the machine while we grocery shop, windscreen is left in place. No worries.