Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Auxiliary Input Kit

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2015, 08:36 PM
Oilcan
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Auxiliary Input Kit

Not really Tri Glide specific but since that's what I am riding now, I figured I'd ask here. On my previous two wheel Ultras I've always had a Garmin GPS with Sat radio incorporated. The GPS was great as well but the 2015 Tri Glide has that built in. Problem is, my Sat radio subscription is paid up for life and is not transferable so I need to mount the Garmin on the trike. No problem except on the new one, there is no auxiliary input for an external device to get the audio to the sound system. So, I purchased the Auxiliary Input Kit ... plug and play (or so I thought). I am a bit disappointed to discover that once I have it hooked up, I have to take it to the dealer and have them use the "Digital Technician II service tool (what ever that is) to update the "Audio Inputs" to the desired setting. The update is free of charge but labor rates apply for the update procedure. Really? Half an hour labor? Hell, that's more than the kit cost. So, long question short .... am I stuck with this or is there a way around it that anyone knows? Just pisses me off that after paying more for the bike then I paid for my first house, I have to pay extra for an audio in jack that should have been included in the first place (it was on all the others .... 2001 Ultra, 2007 Ultra, 2011 Ultra Limited. TIA

Old 11-17-2015, 08:51 PM
Oilcan
Cruiser

Well, never mind. I guess I should have done a bit of searching before asking. From what I have found, it looks like it's a dealer thing and no way around it. Still, I got to vent I guess. Still PO'd that it doesn't come from the factory with an audio input jack.

Old 11-17-2015, 11:27 PM
screwball
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Wife downloaded the XM app on her Android telephone. On her '14 Tri Glide there is a compartment on her dash with a USB connection for a phone, MP3 player etc. She sets to the station she wants, plugs in her phone and sticks it in the compartment. Plays through her radio. No programming, just plug and play

I have a Pioneer Inno XM receiver I bought years ago. Velcro it to the dash and I have XM on the fly.

Old 11-19-2015, 03:48 PM
Oilcan
Cruiser

Thanks Screwball. I've got the same ap on my phone and yes, it does work fine either plugged into the USB port or via Bluetooth. But, you're pretty well stuck on what ever Sat station you have it on until the next stop. I've already completed all the wiring (power, XM antenna and audio jack - can't believe how much "stuff" is behind the fairing compared to my 2011 Limited). Now just the matter of taking it to the dealer to have them "flash" it to add Auxiliary to my audio options. Thinking about adding a CB and since I'm told they have to flash it for that too, I may just hold off. Wasn't even thinking about one but since a lot of our riding friends have them, plus the possibility of riding to Alaska next year, it may be something I'll want.

Old 11-19-2015, 06:57 PM
screwball
Outstanding HDF Member

Never thought I'd admit it, but we too miss the CB's we had on the '09 and '11 tri's. Ditto with most of our riding friends having them. When we upgraded to the '14 and '15 Freewheeler we use Sena headsets to talk to each other, but can't chat with the others in our group. Progress.... ain't it a bitch

Old 11-19-2015, 10:17 PM
desertclassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by screwball
Wife downloaded the XM app on her Android telephone. On her '14 Tri Glide there is a compartment on her dash with a USB connection for a phone, MP3 player etc. She sets to the station she wants, plugs in her phone and sticks it in the compartment. Plays through her radio. No programming, just plug and play

I have a Pioneer Inno XM receiver I bought years ago. Velcro it to the dash and I have XM on the fly.
That XM app is a good idea. I am going to give it a try. Jim

Old 11-19-2015, 10:20 PM
Oilcan
Cruiser

Never thought I'd admit it, but we too miss the CB's we had on the '09 and '11 tri's. Ditto with most of our riding friends having them. When we upgraded to the '14 and '15 Freewheeler we use Sena headsets to talk to each other, but can't chat with the others in our group. Progress.... ain't it a bitch
Yep, it is. Had the CB on my 01, 07 and 11 Ultras and and before that on a 94 Wing. Standard on all but the Wing. Surprised to find it NOT on the TG. Guess it's only on the Limited now. Expensive little bugger too ... especially when you can buy one at Walmart for $50 or so

Old 11-20-2015, 12:59 AM
screwball
Outstanding HDF Member

Funny, when the '09 trikes came out the big bitch was CB but no GPS. In 14 they 'traded' the CB for the new big screen radio with bult in GPS. Everyone bitched about the GPS and wanted a CB. Guess Harley just can't please everyone.

Old 11-20-2015, 04:21 PM
5x40
Cruiser
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

went riding today w/some of my Goldwing friends from my GWRRA days...sure glad my 2013 has the CB. was nice to be back on Channel 1 and participating instead of listening to the steady drone of the exhaust...

Old 11-23-2015, 11:52 AM
Bigrig793
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XM App

I'm curious when you use your phone to play your XM, does it not use up the data plan on your phone. I know sometimes I have way too much time on my hands at work and out comes the phone and I'll watch youtube videos and it eats up my data plan pretty fast.