Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Muffler Miseries

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2015, 03:09 PM
Kenita
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Muffler Miseries

I can really use some advise from some of you learned and experienced gentlemen.
I have a 2012 TG with 5800 miles purchased 2/15. I had the stage 3 kit installed with Jackpot headpipe, V/H T/G specific mufflers and dyno'd with a SE Pro ST. She ran fine but the mufflers were making me go deaf. Talked to the folks at Fuelmoto ended up with their E Series mufflers. Again, ran great but the sound is as bad as the V/H regardless of the number of discs I use. I've run V/H, Rinehart, Rush, Cobra and others on previous bikes with no such problem. So I'm wondering if the engine build up is what's causing the excessive sound and it will continue regardless of what. other mufflers I try. Should I just appreciate the performance and get fitted for a hearing aid or has anyone had similar problems and able to point me to mufflers I can live with?
Thanks much for any advise you can offer.

Old 11-18-2015, 03:27 PM
screwball
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

See what happens when you try and out-guess all those high paid Harley Davidson Engineers. If you didn't want it loud, should have left the exhaust system alone. What ever you do, DON't put CFR megaphone mufflers on. I did on wife's Tri-Glide and my Freewheeler. Loud as hell, BUT that is what we wanted. We can set off car alarms at 50 feet

Old 11-18-2015, 05:43 PM
sweet johnnie
Advanced
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i would try the stock mufflers out on it and see what that sounds like,and then retune it,mine is stock header catless,stock mufflers,stage 1,v&h fuelpack and its all i need and has a great sound...and after spending that kind of money on upgrades that probably sounds crazy to try the stock mufflers....but i would if it was me...

Old 11-19-2015, 05:29 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Kenita
I can really use some advise from some of you learned and experienced gentlemen.
I have a 2012 TG with 5800 miles purchased 2/15. I had the stage 3 kit installed with Jackpot headpipe, V/H T/G specific mufflers and dyno'd with a SE Pro ST. She ran fine but the mufflers were making me go deaf. Talked to the folks at Fuelmoto ended up with their E Series mufflers. Again, ran great but the sound is as bad as the V/H regardless of the number of discs I use. I've run V/H, Rinehart, Rush, Cobra and others on previous bikes with no such problem. So I'm wondering if the engine build up is what's causing the excessive sound and it will continue regardless of what. other mufflers I try. Should I just appreciate the performance and get fitted for a hearing aid or has anyone had similar problems and able to point me to mufflers I can live with?
Thanks much for any advise you can offer.
The build is part of your problem, bump the compression and increase the overlap on a cam, it'll get louder. Have you talked to FM about how to quiet down the E Series mufflers? I have no experience with the E Series, I do however have a Supertrapp Supermeg on my 06 with a 120" build, its pretty quiet until I jump on it. I run 26 disk with a closed end cap.

Old 11-19-2015, 07:33 AM
RAP
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I wanted a little more sound than stock also. Went with Fuel Moto Jackpots W/Quiet baffles. Just right for me.

Old 11-19-2015, 09:33 AM
COFLHTK
Cruiser
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by RAP
I wanted a little more sound than stock also. Went with Fuel Moto Jackpots W/Quiet baffles. Just right for me.
What he said.

http://www.fuelmotousa.com/series-19...rand%3DJackpot

and

http://www.fuelmotousa.com/i-2085952...SIC%20FLHTCUTG

Old 11-19-2015, 01:24 PM
Kenita
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Muffler Miseries

Thanks for the replies guys. I discussed with Fuelmoto and got a couple of suggestions which I'll try before anything else. If those don't really help I'll explore their Jackpots or revert to stocks with maybe a retune.

Old 11-19-2015, 03:58 PM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Kenita
Thanks for the replies guys. I discussed with Fuelmoto and got a couple of suggestions which I'll try before anything else. If those don't really help I'll explore their Jackpots or revert to stocks with maybe a retune.
I'm pretty sure their Jackpot's will be louder than the E Series, a disc muffler with a closed end cap can be pretty quiet with a low disc count.

Old 11-19-2015, 05:12 PM
Flintshooter54
Road Captain
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Just taking the Cat out of the head pipe makes the stock mufflers sound not to bad if you want a quiet bike. I went with the E series with 11 discs. Note it also has cams and the 107 kit but it wakes up good when you romp on it. I like hearing the radio going down the road though on a long trip.

Old 11-20-2015, 08:09 AM
foundryratjim
Cruiser
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by RAP
I have the Jackpots also. They rumble but at highway speeds the wind noise is louder.