Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

PROJECT TRI-GLIDE Report w/ Lots of Pics

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2016, 11:48 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,940 Likes on 2,295 Posts

Originally Posted by Fusionfool
Kevin, So looks like you have a winner! Ordered the wind deflector, and Dawn said that you never thought they would sell as fast as they are. Can't wait to get them as I have thought of this for a few years now, but never had the tools to get one prototyped. Just makes sense to deflect the air to the engine instead of allowing it to flow up over the tank. Even with the tank lift I can put my hand down just in front of the tank an feel how much flow is moving up beyond the tank even when lifted.
Yes, our first wave of production was gone in less than 24 hours after release!

The air flowing over the tank is reduced by a tank lift, but there is still some there. The air flowing over the tank is further reduced by the CDW, And around the tank is also reduced by the CDW. Importantly, that air is now used to create a strong stream of air directly onto the engine for better cooling.

We're very happy with how well it functions.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 05-20-2016, 11:55 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor

A couple of weeks ago we installed some eval slip-on...Hi Rollers from Fuel Moto.

I've been riding for the last couple of weeks with them.

They look really good, have gotten some nice comments on them.

They are Super Deep & Mellow. Almost everyone has asked me about them. They sound a lot like CFR's.

Standing behind the Trike they sound really good at an idle AND when blipping the throttle. While riding on the bike, they are a bit quiet for me, but Mary really likes them.

As is typical with Slip-ons, I lost a good amount of my low & mid range torque, also lost about 3 mpg in non-interstate riding.

A few days ago I removed about 6" of the fiberglass matting, and that got me just a bit louder, and I installed some W158 Thunder Torque Inserts. Thankfully, the TTI's got all my low & mid range power back, and my MPG went back up also!

So it looks like these are the slip-ons I am going to be running for awhile.

I will try and get a video clip on on the sound in the next few days.

I added a Power Port in the Tour-Pak a while ago...just realized I had not posted a pic of it.

Picked it up at Wally-World, and wired it directly to the battery, with an inline fuse. That way I can use it, even if the ignition is not on.

The reason I put it up high is so that when we're on a trip and the Tour-Pak is full, I can easily plug in whatever I need charged without digging thru a bunch of stuff. It has worked out really well in that location. At times I've had two phones and two camera batteries charging at the same time.

More to come soon!

Old 05-21-2016, 05:33 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by DK Custom
A couple of weeks ago we installed some eval slip-on...Hi Rollers from Fuel Moto.

I've been riding for the last couple of weeks with them.
They look really good, have gotten some nice comments on them.

They are Super Deep & Mellow. Almost everyone has asked me about them. They sound a lot like CFR's.

Standing behind the Trike they sound really good at an idle AND when blipping the throttle. While riding on the bike, they are a bit quiet for me, but Mary really likes them.

As is typical with Slip-ons, I lost a good amount of my low & mid range torque, also lost about 3 mpg in non-interstate riding.

A few days ago I removed about 6" of the fiberglass matting, and that got me just a bit louder, and I installed some W158 Thunder Torque Inserts. Thankfully, the TTI's got all my low & mid range power back, and my MPG went back up also!
Did you try using the optional tuning inserts Fulemoto designed the slip on's around, to see if you could tailor the torque and sound?

Old 05-22-2016, 07:05 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor

Originally Posted by msocko3
Did you try using the optional tuning inserts Fulemoto designed the slip on's around, to see if you could tailor the torque and sound?
Yes, they are similar in design to what Rinehart slip-ons used. They are better than nothing, but do not work nearly as well as the TTI's.

The inserts that came with them bumped the low & mid range torque a tad, knocked some power off the top end, and were a bit quieter. By design they increase backpressure, fighting against the engine, but still allow almost as much reversion as without them.

Old 05-22-2016, 07:16 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor

Here is a video of the new muffs I'm running.

The first part of the clip is stock, the second is with the 6" of batting removed.

Most folks will probably like the stock sound, I just wanted something with some more bite to the exhaust note.

The first runs down the road are stock, the second batch of runs down the road are with 6" of batting removed.

These are some good looking slip-ons, and with the TTI's in them they produce good power, the sound is easily adjustable, although most will probably like them with all the batting in them.

I'm planning on running them the next 10k miles, at least.

Oh, and the tips will rotate 180*, letting you have a slash up or slash down look.

Old 05-25-2016, 05:27 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor

Just installed some Custom Billet Aluminum Floorboards. They have a brass plate in the center that will have some custom engraving in them.

We took the brass plates into a local engraver last Thursday. He said he would have them done for us by Saturday. Today he still did not have them done.
So I just installed them blank for now.

While we are on the road we will find an engraver and get them done.

They are rubber mounted, comfortable, and I'm liking how they turned out.

Will get some better pictures, outside, in the next day or so...big thunderstorm going on right now.

The following users liked this post:
Fearless (old nickname) (05-26-2016)
Old 06-11-2016, 07:06 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor

We are on the road, but I found an engraver and they did a little engraving in the brass for me.

Not what I would like in the end, but I just have these prototypes on for testing during our trip.

I already have some ideas on improvements.

Old 06-12-2016, 08:41 AM
Tryker Dude
Tourer
Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Those look great Kevin. My only concern with the design is that you can see scuffing in the short time they've been on the floorboards.

Old 06-12-2016, 01:14 PM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Tryker Dude
Those look great Kevin. My only concern with the design is that you can see scuffing in the short time they've been on the floorboards.
Pretty and functional doesn't always co-exist. Give me a nice chunk of rubber to hide the wear and keep my wet rain soaked boot from slipping around.

Old 06-13-2016, 09:59 AM
Tryker Dude
Tourer
Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by msocko3
Pretty and functional doesn't always co-exist. Give me a nice chunk of rubber to hide the wear and keep my wet rain soaked boot from slipping around.

Quick Reply: PROJECT TRI-GLIDE Report w/ Lots of Pics