Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

First ride with the 120ST

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2015, 11:24 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 929 Likes on 571 Posts
Default First ride with the 120ST

After a long delay to get new rotors and calipers for the front wheel I finally got the Freewheeler back.

Headed out in 32 degree temps on a 170 mile loop. It got 35 mpg on the first tank. The HO103 got 32 on its first tank.

The stock exhaust seemed quieter with a slightly lower tone. The engine was smooth and quiet also.

The first 100 miles was at 50 mph. The balance was at 55 and slowed/stopped in the 8 small towns along the back roads. So it never ran at any one speed for long. Each time I started it the first rotation was sluggish. I wonder if the ACR"s are opening right away.

I like breaking in new motors in the cold weather. With the great 7 day forecast I should have the 1K done by this time next week. Then it will get some interstate runs.

It does not have the SESPT tune as when the dealer called the tech dept. to download it He was told the 120ST was not "authorized" for the trike as it had not been tested for it. Only the 15 and up 2 wheel touring bikes were authorized.

I have never named a bike but I bought some small red letters and will put on the back of the deck lid UNAUTHORIZED!

The service manager came up with a great program to tune the engine.

It is obvious even with the low speed runs and taking off modestly from stop signs that there is a mountain of torque over the high output 103 which was a respectable performer.

It will be hard to hold back until the proper run in time is achieved.

This is a picture of it in the shop up on a lift just after the engine was in and the tech was ready to test start it. The shop door is open in the background as it was a warm sunny day about a month ago. The bike was to get new rotors and calipers and it took a month to get the parts.

Old 12-03-2015, 11:45 PM
Clint44
Road Warrior
Received 660 Likes on 411 Posts

I'm jealous!

Old 12-03-2015, 11:48 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,273 Likes on 11,143 Posts

Looking forward to an update when you consider it broken in, and roll the throttle.

Old 12-04-2015, 06:28 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member

Another long ride today that puts it to 500 miles on the engine. When I filled up it was 36.2 mpg so the motor is loosening up. We have a great five day forecast of above average temps and sunshine.

I should reach 1K by next Wed. It is hard waiting.

It has a SE heavy duty clutch spring. The Service Manager said that it was all that the clutch would need. We will find out.

Old 12-05-2015, 03:04 AM
missedem
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
Default RE: 120 motor in a trike

My good friend and I were up looking at the post wreck repair on my FLRT today. Fortunately just a fender bender and new front end. All new HD factory parts and we are good to go.

- (Cudos to grizzly hd in missoula, montana) Trike looks better than it did when I first bought it. Rides and looks immaculate. They really take pride in there repair work .... sorry to ramble , on to the subject at hand.-

While I was back in service dept.looking at the trike, my friend asked one of the mechanics if there was any way you could put a 120 motor in a trike. He was told absolutely not. Harley won't "authorize" it because they are worried that it would pull the front wheel off the ground and possibly flip the trike over due to the power. So this is legal speak for we don't want to get sued. I would expect the dealers to discourage this mod to say the least. At least according to the dealer I was at "the 103 has plenty of power and you can modify it to do anything you want it to do" . So that is the "authorized" line you are most likely to hear from HD. I would be interested to see if due to public demand they started putting the new 110 motors in the trikes at some point.

Personally it sounds like a blast to me. Enjoy your new motor!!

Old 12-05-2015, 06:43 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by missedem
My good friend and I were up looking at the post wreck repair on my FLRT today. Fortunately just a fender bender and new front end. All new HD factory parts and we are good to go.

- (Cudos to grizzly hd in missoula, montana) Trike looks better than it did when I first bought it. Rides and looks immaculate. They really take pride in there repair work .... sorry to ramble , on to the subject at hand.-

While I was back in service dept.looking at the trike, my friend asked one of the mechanics if there was any way you could put a 120 motor in a trike. He was told absolutely not. Harley won't "authorize" it because they are worried that it would pull the front wheel off the ground and possibly flip the trike over due to the power. So this is legal speak for we don't want to get sued. I would expect the dealers to discourage this mod to say the least. At least according to the dealer I was at "the 103 has plenty of power and you can modify it to do anything you want it to do" . So that is the "authorized" line you are most likely to hear from HD. I would be interested to see if due to public demand they started putting the new 110 motors in the trikes at some point.

Personally it sounds like a blast to me. Enjoy your new motor!!
That dealer sounds like one I'd avoid, I was pulling the front wheel off the ground of my 2010 Triglide with a lightly modified 103. Trikes are actually quite easy to pick the front end up on. If I was looking to build an around town fun trike, I'd stick the S&S 143" engine in it.

Old 12-05-2015, 06:57 PM
sloufoot
Received 4,081 Likes on 3,483 Posts

Originally Posted by msocko3
That dealer sounds like one I'd avoid, I was pulling the front wheel off the ground of my 2010 Triglide with a lightly modified 103. Trikes are actually quite easy to pick the front end up on. If I was looking to build an around town fun trike, I'd stick the S&S 143" engine in it.
LOL ! At what point do you go to a wider drive belt ????

Old 12-06-2015, 03:54 PM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by sloufoot
LOL ! At what point do you go to a wider drive belt ????
Naw, the stock belt will do pretty good. I know of a guy making 200hp and drag racing a bagger with the stock belt.

Old 12-08-2015, 10:39 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member

I'm up to 910 miles on it today. Started doing some runs on the interstate, What I have found so far before I let the dogs loose is that a roll on from 60 in 6th gear is a impressive feeling.

Will change the oil after the ride tomorrow and the next ride should be fun.

Old 12-08-2015, 11:44 PM
missedem
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Your blessed to be riding at all. Weather here in MT. is knarly at best . Snow , ice, 20's temperatures. Looks like it will be March or May before Im back on the road. Its all good though . Still healing up from a crash 2 months ago. Really enjoy your experiences with the new motor. Be safe and have fun!

Quick Reply: First ride with the 120ST