Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Modifying my trike: Going foot free!

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2016, 06:07 PM
rubberfrog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 120 Likes on 83 Posts

We got the tglidestuff.com spacers and captain itch crotch cooler installed. Both products are top quality. It's true that you get what you pay for. You can save a few bucks and get a cheap spacer made from garden pipe and a long bolt, or a piece of plastic for a heat deflector, but neither will work as well.

The tglide spacers are a fantastic two piece design. I opened the box and was blown away to see four pieces of machines billet aluminum. Each side has a two piece design that bolts to the stock location, and than an adapter for the floor boards to mount to. No extra long bolts necessary. These are every bit as strong as stock and will not bend or droop. Enough talking, here are some pics.

Old 04-28-2016, 06:08 PM
rubberfrog
Outstanding HDF Member

before and after pics

Here is a shot from above showing the crotch cooler. It has only been on a day or so and has not fully laid down yet. It is two layers of very thick leather stitched and bonded together.

Last edited by rubberfrog; 04-28-2016 at 06:12 PM.
The following users liked this post:
iaff84 (04-29-2016)
Old 04-29-2016, 06:25 PM
Mindee
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thus far my two newest modifications appear to be great! Both have drastically improved my comfort while riding. My new tglidestuff.com spacers have moved my legs off my gas tank that I seemed to be previously be cuddling. The new position is much more comfortable, and provides a cooler ride! This, along with the crotch cooler deflecting the engine heat, should extend my Arizona riding season a lot.

A note about the spacers: I was a bit nervous that the 2.5 inch spacers looking odd, but they don't. One may not even notice them if not looking. In addition, the construction is awesome. I swear a small elephant could stand on them without problem.

Next week... Ward's fan.

Old 04-30-2016, 05:58 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Mindee
Thus far my two newest modifications appear to be great! Both have drastically improved my comfort while riding. My new tglidestuff.com spacers have moved my legs off my gas tank that I seemed to be previously be cuddling. The new position is much more comfortable, and provides a cooler ride! This, along with the crotch cooler deflecting the engine heat, should extend my Arizona riding season a lot.

A note about the spacers: I was a bit nervous that the 2.5 inch spacers looking odd, but they don't. One may not even notice them if not looking. In addition, the construction is awesome. I swear a small elephant could stand on them without problem.

Next week... Ward's fan.
Sounds like you're putting together a nice ride, you're selecting some great products.

Old 05-01-2016, 10:26 PM
screwball
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Just a thought from an old desert rider. We put the floor board extenders on all 4 of the trikes we have owned. That alone kept us from burning legs like others have reported here. I have never added any fans, because they will blow the hot air from the heads directly on your left leg. I guess if you sit in traffic a lot they may be helpful. We split our time between the So. Cal desert, and Bullhead City Az. so we are pretty familiar with hot weather riding. Another tip, take a look at the Harley evaporative vests. A 3 minute soak and your upper body will be 15 to 20 degrees cooler for about 3 hours then another soak

Good Luck, we all admire the hell out of you. My wife has no feelings from mid calf down, side effect of Chemo. Took her 3 months to learn to walk again. She is on her 3rd trike and rides the hell out of it!!

Old 05-01-2016, 10:43 PM
missedem
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Glad to see the mods coming along nicely. I am a disabled rider also. I was lucky not to need to make any mods to the trike . Just needed to get one.

Hard sell to myself after 35 years + on two wheels . After having the freewheeler and riding it a year I wish I had bought a 2011 Street Glide Trike when they were new but just could not talk myself into it at the time. One messed up hip , bad leg , bad spine etc later and I am off and riding to the races (so to speak).

Keep us posted on the modifications . Glad to hear you are still in the wind. That is the very most important part however you get to do it.

Old 05-03-2016, 07:48 PM
Mindee
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by msocko3
Sounds like you're putting together a nice ride, you're selecting some great products.
Thanks!! I think (and hope) so.

Originally Posted by missedem
Glad to see the mods coming along nicely. I am a disabled rider also. I was lucky not to need to make any mods to the trike . Just needed to get one.

Hard sell to myself after 35 years + on two wheels. After having the freewheeler and riding it a year I wish I had bought a 2011 Street Glide Trike when they were new but just could not talk myself into it at the time. One messed up hip, bad leg, bad spine etc later and I am off and riding to the races (so to speak).

Keep us posted on the modifications . Glad to hear you are still in the wind. That is the very most important part however you get to do it.
I went back and forth between the Freewheeler and TriGlide. In the end, my husband has an Ultra Limited. He loves to ride, ride, and ride. I was fearful that the Freewheeler wouldn't enable me to long hauls with him. I like the Cadillac-like ride, and the music, windshield, etc. are nice.

Being a disabled rider isn't cheap, without or with additional modifications. But it is worth it. Loving this new hobby!

Originally Posted by screwball
Just a thought from an old desert rider. We put the floor board extenders on all 4 of the trikes we have owned. That alone kept us from burning legs like others have reported here. I have never added any fans, because they will blow the hot air from the heads directly on your left leg. I guess if you sit in traffic a lot they may be helpful. We split our time between the So. Cal desert, and Bullhead City Az. so we are pretty familiar with hot weather riding. Another tip, take a look at the Harley evaporative vests. A 3 minute soak and your upper body will be 15 to 20 degrees cooler for about 3 hours then another soak

Good Luck, we all admire the hell out of you. My wife has no feelings from mid calf down, side effect of Chemo. Took her 3 months to learn to walk again. She is on her 3rd trike and rides the hell out of it!!
Yes, I am loving the floor board extenders. I cannot feel my legs. I am always fearful of a burn, and I wouldn't even realize it. These provide extra protection.

As for the fans, I (ok, ok my husband...) just installed them. I agree that they don't take away all of the heat, but I do hope that they temper the heat on the right by sharing a bit with the left. As we too are in AZ, we want to extend our riding season into the summer! Fingers crossed.

My new Ward's Fan...

Next up.... cool manual shift lever and proportioned brakes. Any ideas for either?

Last edited by Mindee; 05-03-2016 at 07:53 PM.
Old 05-03-2016, 07:57 PM
graygoat
Road Master
Received 221 Likes on 187 Posts

Mindee, I've been following this thread and all I can say is "hats off to you, girl"! Great determination to stay in the wind, keep on goin for it!

The following users liked this post:
Mindee (05-03-2016)
Old 05-03-2016, 08:45 PM
rubberfrog
Outstanding HDF Member

The next step here is identifying the proper proportioning valve for the brakes. It's a simple enough concept, but I am having difficulty locating an appropriately sized valve that is not for an automotive application.

Old 05-04-2016, 01:50 AM
missedem
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

I have had no trouble touring on the freewheeler . The only reason I wished I had gotten the street glide trike back in 2011 was primarily I love the way they look and I love the free so much I wish I had not waited . The freewheeler has been a great trike for me so far. Would be nice to have the trunk space of the street glide but I can live with what I have just fine. I always seem to be able to fit what ever I need in the trunk so far.

Yes these things can be expensive , however in my case it keep my back and spine moving and my spirit too. So far has kept me out of a wheel chair. May come some day. I have been in a chair for a few years at a time before so who knows what the future holds. You can not put a price on joy and physical well being . Crashing sucks but otherwise these things can not be beaten on any level for how they enrich your life. I am please to see you riding . Does a heart good.

Last edited by missedem; 05-04-2016 at 01:53 AM.

Quick Reply: Modifying my trike: Going foot free!