Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

A Follow Up to my New Battery Install Fiasco!

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2016, 05:47 AM
nocarb
Road Master
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

In the winter I do the normal maintenance, 10,000 check up is what I call it. This includes replacing fob batteries. Well it was 50 on Christmas Eve, so I thought I would run to the gas station, without cell phone or FOB(oops). I shut bike off to fill up and noticed the turn signal flashed differently. I said to myself that's odd I just replaced FOB battery. Tried to start and it was then I realized I had left FOB at home. I go into gas station and use someone else's phone and call wife. Asked her to bring FOB out of my tour pak liner. She brought the one from in the house. She pulls up and guess what it no worky. So I send her back and tell her to get the one out of the liner along with the service manual and owners manual in case I have to do the code thing. She get's back and FOB worked fine. I guess I replaced the battery twice in one of the Fobs and none in the other.

Glad to hear you got it all figured out.

Old 01-15-2016, 08:44 PM
sloufoot
Received 4,082 Likes on 3,484 Posts

Originally Posted by Nomadmax
You weren't tipped off when the lights flashed that no FOB was present when you righted the bike off the stand?
Kinda hard to right a Trike ! LOL....

Old 01-15-2016, 08:52 PM
sloufoot

Originally Posted by WRE4U
Hey Sloufoot,
Thanks! the lights did that....I was just too stupid to realize the problem. Know it now!
LOL ! Yep, one of the reasons I put the siren on to make sure I knew what a problem might be. Didn't mean to poke fun at ya. Very easy to overthink things.
A DVOM meter from Harbor Freight is accurate enough for most testing, & real cheap for their best one. Sort of indispensable when working on electrical.
Ride Safe !

Old 01-15-2016, 09:10 PM
BinIdaho
Stellar HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

I carry extra FOB batteries also, but will change batteries before I uncover for riding season

Old 01-16-2016, 12:49 AM
screwball
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

This is my 4th Harley with the security system. The first thing I do is program the fob bypass. After the second time I had to call because I drove off without the fob I learned.

Old 01-16-2016, 01:06 AM
sloufoot

Originally Posted by screwball
This is my 4th Harley with the security system. The first thing I do is program the fob bypass. After the second time I had to call because I drove off without the fob I learned.
+1 on that Steve !
I also put the card with the instructions in my wallet.

Old 01-16-2016, 04:19 AM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,063 Likes on 2,501 Posts

Originally Posted by sloufoot
Kinda hard to right a Trike ! LOL....
I didn't know that the security system wouldn't become active if you mounted and sat down on one of the Tri-Glide models without the FOB. Thanks.

A trick I used to use for storing batteries in spare FOBs was to turn them around and install with the polarity reversed. On long trips I had a spare FOB hidden on the bike like that. Had I ever lost the one on my key chain that dangles in the wind; all I needed to do was retrieve the spare FOB, open it up and flip the battery. The batteries last quite a while in the reverse mode.

That said, I really don't like security of any kind and I removed it from both my bikes.

Last edited by Campy Roadie; 01-16-2016 at 04:24 AM.
Old 01-16-2016, 05:12 AM
WRE4U
Road Master

Received 215 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Nomadmax
I didn't know that the security system wouldn't become active if you mounted and sat down on one of the Tri-Glide models without the FOB. Thanks.

A trick I used to use for storing batteries in spare FOBs was to turn them around and install with the polarity reversed. On long trips I had a spare FOB hidden on the bike like that. Had I ever lost the one on my key chain that dangles in the wind; all I needed to do was retrieve the spare FOB, open it up and flip the battery. The batteries last quite a while in the reverse mode.

That said, I really don't like security of any kind and I removed it from both my bikes.

I learned my lesson....this is my third Harley, first one with the fob.

Old 01-16-2016, 05:41 AM
jamesroadking
Road Warrior
Received 152 Likes on 94 Posts

Your trike looks pretty new, so when it didn't start the first time you didn't think that maybe you should put a volt meter across your battery to check it's voltage before ordering a new battery? My original battery on my 2010 Limited that I bought a late 2009 lasted to the summer of 2015. When you suspect a battery, disconnect it, check water if applicable, clean, and measure voltage, if lower than 12 volts put on a charger over night, should come up to something like 13.3 or so. Let the battery sit and monitor it's voltage, it should hold that fresh charge staying at 12.2-12.5, you can also take it up to any auto parts store and they'll put a load tester on it for free after you charged it.
When my FOB battery starts getting week, the alarms starts chirping if I just move the bike. I've never had to use the code to bypass the alarm, it's easier to just change the battery in the FOB. Keep spare batteries in the tour pack.

Last edited by jamesroadking; 01-16-2016 at 05:56 AM.
Old 01-16-2016, 06:49 AM
ultra_classic
Club Member
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by WRE4U
I do feel better! Learned a few things as well. At least the bike is clean, has a new battery, and is ready to go....nice day today, may hit 60 degrees....going for a ride.
And you can add :new Fob and Deka Battery to your footer

Quick Reply: A Follow Up to my New Battery Install Fiasco!