Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

A Follow Up to my New Battery Install Fiasco!

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2016, 08:32 AM
WRE4U
Road Master

Received 215 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by jamesroadking
Your trike looks pretty new, so when it didn't start the first time you didn't think that maybe you should put a volt meter across your battery to check it's voltage before ordering a new battery? My original battery on my 2010 Limited that I bought a late 2009 lasted to the summer of 2015. When you suspect a battery, disconnect it, check water if applicable, clean, and measure voltage, if lower than 12 volts put on a charger over night, should come up to something like 13.3 or so. Let the battery sit and monitor it's voltage, it should hold that fresh charge staying at 12.2-12.5, you can also take it up to any auto parts store and they'll put a load tester on it for free after you charged it.
When my FOB battery starts getting week, the alarms starts chirping if I just move the bike. I've never had to use the code to bypass the alarm, it's easier to just change the battery in the FOB. Keep spare batteries in the tour pack.
My trike is a 2010, and with the original battery, so I just figured it needed a new battery.....like I said, I'm not all that mechanically inclined!
I have learned from this lesson, and hopefully maybe another dummy like me, can learn from my mistakes.

Old 01-17-2016, 02:59 PM
Tryker Dude
Tourer
Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Nomadmax
I didn't know that the security system wouldn't become active if you mounted and sat down on one of the Tri-Glide models without the FOB. Thanks.

A trick I used to use for storing batteries in spare FOBs was to turn them around and install with the polarity reversed. On long trips I had a spare FOB hidden on the bike like that. Had I ever lost the one on my key chain that dangles in the wind; all I needed to do was retrieve the spare FOB, open it up and flip the battery. The batteries last quite a while in the reverse mode.

That said, I really don't like security of any kind and I removed it from both my bikes.
Good remedy there Nomadmax, I do the same. Ya just have to make sure ya don't hide the spare FOB in a locked compartment, LOL.

Old 01-17-2016, 08:29 PM
harleygeezer
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Nomadmax
You weren't tipped off when the lights flashed that no FOB was present when you righted the bike off the stand?
He owns a trike...

Old 01-17-2016, 10:39 PM
screwball
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Some spare battery horror stories. Loosing your keys while walking around. Spare batteries are useless without a fob. Bad guys steal your bike and while looking around, Low and behold, a fob. My problem is that the hook where I keep my keys is 4' through a door to my Harley in the garage. It is close enough to start the trike, but when i go to leave the restaurant I'm now 30 miles away.

I never understood why it was such a huge pain in the *** to put in a 5 digit code so you wouldn't get stranded. You know that the battery in your 'spare' will go dead just about the time your primary goes. BUT to each his own.

Old 01-18-2016, 05:32 AM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,063 Likes on 2,501 Posts

Originally Posted by harleygeezer
He owns a trike...
See the post right above yours.

Old 01-29-2016, 08:45 PM
scooterbum46
Tourer
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by screwball
Some spare battery horror stories. Loosing your keys while walking around. Spare batteries are useless without a fob. Bad guys steal your bike and while looking around, Low and behold, a fob. My problem is that the hook where I keep my keys is 4' through a door to my Harley in the garage. It is close enough to start the trike, but when i go to leave the restaurant I'm now 30 miles away.

I never understood why it was such a huge pain in the *** to put in a 5 digit code so you wouldn't get stranded. You know that the battery in your 'spare' will go dead just about the time your primary goes. BUT to each his own.
Bad guys could ride your bike away from your garage, I hang my keys far enough away to prevent that. However I left my keys on the work bench, rode about 40 miles away. I then blessed the salesman that talked me into a bypass code that didn't use my favorite password, containing 7's and 9's - he suggested a combination of 1's and 2's and it still took about 3 tries to get the bike started... Glad I read this thread, never thought about putting a couple of spare batteries in the Tourpack.