Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Avon Trike Tire

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2016, 07:08 AM
bronxbill
Road Warrior

Received 453 Likes on 280 Posts
Default Avon Trike Tire

I need a new front tire on my Tri glide; I'm considering the Avon Trike tire as a replacement for the Dunlop. I was just curious if anyone has real life experience with the Avon tire. Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks

Old 02-07-2016, 07:30 AM
AlCherry
Road Warrior
Received 89 Likes on 50 Posts

We had the wheels off our trike to get them powder coated. I went ahead and put Michelins on it all the way around. I am not a fan of Dunlops, or mixing tire brands. I am a fan of Michelins. After the lift kit, oil change in the front end and new tires, the trike seems to handle a lot better.
I'm not trying to start a tire brand war. If you are going to keep the Dunlop tires on the rear, I would think you should keep Dunlops on the front. Otherwise, change them all out.

Old 02-07-2016, 08:53 AM
bronxbill
Road Warrior

Al
Yes, I have a set of wheels I bought from a forum member. I am having them Hydro Dipped. I will be taking the Dunlops off the rear and I need a new front anyway. Just checking around right know. I have seen a set of Generals for the rear that I like. Thanks for the reply

Old 02-07-2016, 09:41 PM
WestRoadHarley
Intermediate
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I am running the new Avon Trike front tire on my '15 Triglide. So far, I have only put about 500 miles on it. No change in ride. I'll be watching the wear as the year goes by. I normally get less than 12 months out of a front tire, we'll see....

Old 02-08-2016, 08:02 AM
vtwinbob
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by WestRoadHarley
I am running the new Avon Trike front tire on my '15 Triglide. So far, I have only put about 500 miles on it. No change in ride. I'll be watching the wear as the year goes by. I normally get less than 12 months out of a front tire, we'll see....
wow!! a new tire every year? (LOL) how many miles you putting on it in that 12 months.

Old 02-08-2016, 09:47 PM
WestRoadHarley
Intermediate

Originally Posted by vtwinbob
wow!! a new tire every year? (LOL) how many miles you putting on it in that 12 months.
15-18K. A lot depends on which route I take from home to Sturgis; when I go via the left coast, it's a high mileage year!

Old 02-09-2016, 10:29 AM
bronxbill
Road Warrior

Thanks for the replies; I decided to give the Avon a shot. I found it at Bikebandit.com for $125.95

Old 02-16-2016, 06:36 PM
glenbarr
Advanced
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by vtwinbob

I did 34000 miles last year and went through 2 front tires. And my wife was on the trike for every mile.

Old 02-17-2016, 09:55 PM
CaCruizin
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have just put on a Michelin Commander 2 130/90/16 rear tire on reverse rotation and initial riding it feels better than the oem Duncrap which lasted less than 5k

Old 08-28-2016, 03:19 PM
WestRoadHarley
Intermediate
Default Avon Trike Front Tire

Since December 2015, I have put about 12,000 miles on the Avon trike front tire. The tread depth is now about 4/32". The only thing I did not like about the tire is it's handling on wet roads. With the current wear, the front tire locks up any time I have to brake with even moderate pressure. If any of you riders have ever had the pleasure of having the front end lock up know this is a really bad thing. I am now looking for another type of tire.
If any trike rider have had good experience with a front tire that holds the road in wet weather, please let me know.
R/
Scott Smith

Quick Reply: Avon Trike Tire