Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

New Tri Glide owner, multiple questions?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2016, 04:22 PM
Scooter68
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New Tri Glide owner, multiple questions?

Last weekend, I bought a 2011 Tri glide, and am looking forward to spring even more now. Just a few questions to try and get some insight on this bike. 1st, where can I find a manuel for this bike? Every bike I have had I bought the Clymer one, I can't seem to find one for the TG by Clymer. 2nd, How do you steer this thing, lol? Obviously there is no more lean, so how do you go thru corners. 3rd, What do you guys use to lift the TG up with? I have a J & S jack for my Deluxe, but somehow I doubt that will work on it. Thanks to any and everyone for help.

Old 02-24-2016, 05:39 PM
screwball
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Welcome!

We bought all our trikes new, so we got the owners manuals with them. You can order manuals for used trikes through Harley. Service / Repair manuals are also available from Harley or JP Cycles carries the Clymer books

Steering is something you have to get used to. After 50 years on motorcycles before a trike, you learn very fast that leaning does absolutely nothing. it is all arm strength. Go to a parking lot and play around. Wife drove her first for 2 days then we left for Las Vegas (310 miles) She is on her 3rd Tri-Glide, I'm on my 2nd

My motorcycle jack (cheapo) from Harbor Freight wouldn't balance the trikes. I "inherited" a quad work lift table. Got it used for $500.

Have fun with your first trike, ride it like you stole it, and ride it in good health

Old 02-24-2016, 05:40 PM
Fusionfool
Road Captain
Received 66 Likes on 53 Posts

1. Get a service manual and addendum for trike at dealer.
2. Steering is a bit different, use a push / pull method, and don't rule out leaning. Of coarse you can not lean to turn, but leaning will assist keep better control on curves with a passenger. Keep that wheel from lifting if you know what I mean.
3. Not sure about your lift, but a manual will also help with explaining.

Old 02-24-2016, 08:16 PM
graygoat
Road Master
Received 221 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by Fusionfool
1. Get a service manual and addendum for trike at dealer.
2. Steering is a bit different, use a push / pull method, and don't rule out leaning. Of coarse you can not lean to turn, but leaning will assist keep better control on curves with a passenger. Keep that wheel from lifting if you know what I mean.
3. Not sure about your lift, but a manual will also help with explaining.
+1 on the lean thing, I slide to the inside position which helps me get better push leverage on my outside arm.

Also stick your arms out straight from side to side, this will give you an idea of how wide the back of the trike is so that you allow extra space for curbs and gas pumps.

Enjoy the ride!

Old 02-24-2016, 09:37 PM
Oogie Wa Wa
Road Master
Received 388 Likes on 254 Posts

Here's a great thread on learning to ride a Tri Glide. Check it out and go enjoy!

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/tri-g...tri-glide.html

Old 02-25-2016, 10:20 AM
Gunnysgt
Grand HDF Member
Received 503 Likes on 247 Posts

I just bought mine in January this year. Didn't take too long to get used to it at all. I must say though the DK comfort lift kit made it steer even easier, you may want to find out if yours has it installed or not. I really didn't find the transition hard and frankly stop and go traffic is much easier now not having to put my feet down every 5 feet.

Old 02-25-2016, 10:26 AM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,251 Likes on 11,137 Posts

The service manual at the dealer will set you back some $. But, well worth it. You need to get the Touring hike manual and separate TriGlide supplement for your year.

Oh yeah...what every one else said about steering. And make sure you remember er you gat about 2' sticking out each side behind you. Remember especially when pulling in for gas.

Old 03-01-2016, 07:38 PM
Scooter68
Road Master

A lot of help guys, I can't begin to thank you all for the support and advice. Thanks again and looking forward to getting it out and learning.

Old 03-01-2016, 09:39 PM
USMC5803
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's some great advice you have been given. I don't have much new to add except I'm also new on the Tri-Glide and learning how it handles compared to two wheels. Steering is as said, push / pull. Leaning does not assist in the turn, but at speed, centrifugal force pushes you opposite the turn, so I still lean with the turn for balance. I thoroughly enjoy the trike.

Steve

Old 03-03-2016, 04:20 PM
Scooter68
Road Master

Originally Posted by TriGeezer
The service manual at the dealer will set you back some $. But, well worth it. You need to get the Touring hike manual and separate TriGlide supplement for your year.

Oh yeah...what every one else said about steering. And make sure you remember er you gat about 2' sticking out each side behind you. Remember especially when pulling in for gas.
So, the hike manuel after doing a search is the owners manuel? That is with the Trike. And the supplement one is the blue (I think it's blue, lol) colored book?