Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Just ordered wards cooling fans

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2016, 09:01 AM
Backdraft161
Tourer
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Mr Wizard where did you get the longer stud?

Old 04-10-2016, 09:09 AM
Mr. Wizard
Administrator
Received 2,035 Likes on 1,103 Posts

Originally Posted by Backdraft161
I went to the hardware store and bought an extension nut and a stainless bolt the same size as the horn stud. I measured how much I needed to extend the stud so the chrome acorn nut hold the horn.

I cut the extension nut down then the bolt. Applied blue locktite to the extension nut and studs.

Old 04-10-2016, 09:18 AM
Mr. Wizard
Administrator
Received 2,035 Likes on 1,103 Posts

I went to the hardware store and bought an extension nut and a stainless bolt the same size as the horn stud. I measured how much I needed to extend the stud so the chrome acorn nut hold the horn.

I cut the extension nut down then the bolt. Applied blue locktite to the extension nut and studs and added a large washer. You will see that the extension nut will fit inside the mounting hole of the fans.

In the large picture showing the horn it looks like the fans are behind the horn, not so... they are side by side and equal distance from the horn. The picture is just at an angle showing the left fan touching.

Old 04-10-2016, 07:05 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,940 Likes on 2,295 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Wizard

I cut the extension nut down then the bolt. Applied blue locktite to the extension nut and studs.
I did the same thing with my Softail to extend the stud out for the Coil Relocation and the Wards Fans. Used a coupler nut and a stud from Lowes. (remember the threadlocker!)

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 04-10-2016, 09:04 PM
Backdraft161
Tourer
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I will have to measure the air horn cover that i have. Not sure if the bracket on the air blowers. Would it hurt anything if the air blowers would sit behind the air horn cover, if i move the cover out enough to clear the blowers? As long as i have circulation.

Old 04-11-2016, 10:55 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor

I will have to measure the air horn cover that i have. Not sure if the bracket on the air blowers. Would it hurt anything if the air blowers would sit behind the air horn cover, if i move the cover out enough to clear the blowers? As long as i have circulation.
Jason may be able to help you on this. But the one thing that is sure, the fans need to have clearance between the back of them and the cylinders/heads. If you just put the fan bracket up against the existing rubber on the stud, the fans will hit/touch the cylinders/heads and this is not good.

You can see in the photo I posted that I have the coil relocation bracket on the outside of the fan bracket, but I did put a space between the rubber and the fan bracket so that they do not touch the cylinders/heads.

Check with Jason on what space he recommends and what material to use.

Old 04-12-2016, 11:23 AM
crash_override65
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DK Custom
I did the same thing with my Softail to extend the stud out for the Coil Relocation and the Wards Fans. Used a coupler nut and a stud from Lowes. (remember the threadlocker!)

Kevin,

I'm looking at doing this same set up on my Wide Glide. My questions is can I use the "Ready to Install" length Spark Wires, or will I need to get the standard and measure and cut them myself?

I really like the look of the black "Ready to Install" wires, and would prefer to go with them if they will fit in this configuration.

Old 05-22-2016, 01:01 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor

Originally Posted by crash_override65
Kevin,

I'm looking at doing this same set up on my Wide Glide. My questions is can I use the "Ready to Install" length Spark Wires, or will I need to get the standard and measure and cut them myself?

I really like the look of the black "Ready to Install" wires, and would prefer to go with them if they will fit in this configuration.
Sorry, just saw this post. Yes, the Ready to Install PRO Race will work in this configuration.

Old 05-22-2016, 08:42 AM
Buckscent
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

American Custom decated headers and their skip-on's and DynoJet Power Vision. Heat gone and a lot more responsive power.