Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Which Progressive Rear Shocks on a TriGlide

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2016, 09:22 AM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,250 Likes on 11,136 Posts

The OP.

I finally got around to buying and installing Progressive rear shocks:

- I bought the Progressive 444 (non air) heavy duty shocks (444-4073B) from JP Cycles. They shipped within 24 hours of me ordering on line.

- I previously installed the Progressive fork springs...and loved the improvement. At the time I ordered, Progressjve no longer offered the Mono cartridge for the TriGlide.

- I had previously I stalked the TriGlide Stuff rear lift kit. I was happy with the improved look...but.,,no matter what I did I could not get the new progressive shocks installed on the TriGlide Stuff lift brackets. So, I re- installed the OEM Shock brackets, and then the install was a breeze. I did have to use a hydraulic jack on the front of the bracket (with the center bolt installed slightly Loose, and the shock installed on the bracket) to get the hole to line up.

- I installed the shocks with the adjustment **** on the bottom, as advised in the Progressive instructions,

- Although the service manual advises to remove the rear body, based upon feedback on another thread I started I didnt do that. Accessing to remove and install the upper bolt was the easiest part of the install, and didn't take much force to remove.

- I cleaned all the bolts and threads with thread restorers I bought on Amazon. This was really necessary after I had to remove all the bolts I had installed with Red Permatex. Man that stuff is tight.

- the new shocks provide a rear lift that actually seems slightly more than the OEM shocks with the TriGlide Stuff lifts.

- I did three lines of preload. Actually just at the third line.

- I haven't test rode it yet...but looking forward to the test as soon as I finish my coffee and walk the dog

Old 09-23-2016, 11:24 AM
TheBobs
Road Master
Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by msocko3
Stick with a 13" length when using the lift kit, some folks are running PN 444-4020B which you can find on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Progressive-Su.../dp/B007GRGWDY or do some shopping and see if you can find a better price.

Folks if you order the 444-4073, you will get shocks that are too long for any lift. IF YOU HAVE A LIFT, TGLIDESTUFF OR DK, GET 444-4020. I just put a set on and they went on super easy. Buyer be warned and beware! Good luck!!!!!!!

Old 09-23-2016, 11:34 AM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by TheBobs
Folks if you order the 444-4073, you will get shocks that are too long for any lift. IF YOU HAVE A LIFT, TGLIDESTUFF OR DK, GET 444-4020. I just put a set on and they went on super easy. Buyer be warned and beware! Good luck!!!!!!!
Yeah...now I find out. But, in retrospect, or self justification for my decision, I have the full suspension system designed by suspension experts.

I wish I had taken before and after measurements. But, the rear does seem higher than with the OEM shocks and TG Stuff lifts.

Old 10-03-2016, 11:59 AM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Default Final Update after 1,500 mile test

This is the OP with and update after a 1,500 mile trip with my new Progressive shocks.

Bottom line: the ride is significantly improved! My wife says the ride is 10 times better! I wish I had made this upgrade earlier, and it may have prevented me having to get a crown for a cracked tooth.

We did a 1,500 mile tour 3 days after the install. We rode on varying quality roads at speeds averaging 70MPH and up to 80MPH. Small bumps like the lane marker bump things, concrete joints even where mismatched are absorbed and you barely feel them any more than in my Acura. Bigger bumps and potholes are more of a smooth thump than a harsh crack in the spine as before. Yet, the handling was still good.

4 thumbs up!!!

Old 10-06-2016, 08:17 PM
glenbarr
Advanced
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My dealer installed the Legend lift kit even though I had asked for the DK lift. My question is will I still use the 13" Progressive shocks with the Legend also?

Old 10-06-2016, 09:13 PM
TheBobs
Road Master
Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by glenbarr
My dealer installed the Legend lift kit even though I had asked for the DK lift. My question is will I still use the 13" Progressive shocks with the Legend also?
I'm going to assume you still have stock shocks installed with your new lifts. If I'm right, you still want 13" stock length. P/N mentioned above. Good luck!

Old 10-07-2016, 04:03 AM
glenbarr
Advanced

I do still have the stock shocks installed at this point. I am going to the Progressive as soon as I recover from the 50,000 mile front fork service cost. Thanks!

Old 10-07-2016, 09:54 AM
Hard Ride
Road Captain
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by glenbarr
I do still have the stock shocks installed at this point. I am going to the Progressive as soon as I recover from the 50,000 mile front fork service cost. Thanks!
Am I to understand you have 50k on a 15' TriGld...

Old 10-07-2016, 07:58 PM
glenbarr
Advanced

I do indeed have 52000 miles on my 2015 Triglide. And I think my wife was on it with me for every mile. I traded in the 2013 Triglide with 70000 miles on it. At 70 I need to think about retiring so we can ride more! I bought a new 1966 XLCH the year I got out of the Army and I've been riding ever since. We do indeed love to ride!!!

Old 10-08-2016, 05:22 AM
Oogie Wa Wa
Road Master
Received 388 Likes on 254 Posts

122K in 4 years on your trikes, glenbarr? Holy Toledo! That's more than twice what we both drive with all three vehicles combined!

Quick Reply: Which Progressive Rear Shocks on a TriGlide