Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Which Progressive Rear Shocks on a TriGlide

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2016, 08:41 PM
glenbarr
Advanced
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a 2015 Triglide with the lifts installed and the V&H power duals and V&H mufflers. I had the Progressive 444-4020B shocks installed Saturday by the Harley shop and they had to shim the mufflers down to allow the exhaust pipes to clear the frame. They are now back down to where they were before the lift. Did you have any issues like that and if so what was the solution?

Old 10-17-2016, 09:33 PM
TheBobs
Road Master
Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by glenbarr
I have a 2015 Triglide with the lifts installed and the V&H power duals and V&H mufflers. I had the Progressive 444-4020B shocks installed Saturday by the Harley shop and they had to shim the mufflers down to allow the exhaust pipes to clear the frame. They are now back down to where they were before the lift. Did you have any issues like that and if so what was the solution?
Glen, I have tglidestuff lifts with 444-4020B, OEM decat headpipe and V&H twin slash mufflers. Absolutely no problems. No shimming required. I will add that I didn't try to install the mufflers until BigBlue was off the jack stands. With the expected shock sag, there was plenty of room between muffler and frame. Good luck, hope it works out for you! Do you like the ride with the new progressives? I had my preload at 3 1/2 turns but backed them down to 3 turns like everyone else.

Old 10-18-2016, 05:53 PM
glenbarr
Advanced

The ride is absolutely great! I have the preload at 3 turns also. I was looking at the exhaust today and it seems to me that the 2 short pipes that connect to the mufflers could have been rotated down away from the frame. The main issue is after they shimmed down the back of the mufflers I am back to the same height off the ground that it was before the lift brackets were installed. Did you by chance do anything like that?

Old 10-18-2016, 06:19 PM
TheBobs
Road Master
Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by glenbarr
The ride is absolutely great! I have the preload at 3 turns also. I was looking at the exhaust today and it seems to me that the 2 short pipes that connect to the mufflers could have been rotated down away from the frame. The main issue is after they shimmed down the back of the mufflers I am back to the same height off the ground that it was before the lift brackets were installed. Did you by chance do anything like that?
I did not have to shim the rear of the mufflers. I don't know why they would have had to shim, unless the head pipe or extensions aren't lined up. That's why I suggested that you redo the muffler mounts without shims while the trike is back on the ground and loading the suspension. Other than that theory, I don't have a clue what's happening. Maybe someone else who has V&H headpipe can add their experience with the fit. Glad the progressive shocks worked out for you!

The following users liked this post:
glenbarr (10-18-2016)
Old 11-12-2016, 05:05 AM
glenbarr
Advanced

Originally Posted by TheBobs
I did not have to shim the rear of the mufflers. I don't know why they would have had to shim, unless the head pipe or extensions aren't lined up. That's why I suggested that you redo the muffler mounts without shims while the trike is back on the ground and loading the suspension. Other than that theory, I don't have a clue what's happening. Maybe someone else who has V&H headpipe can add their experience with the fit. Glad the progressive shocks worked out for you!

I had another shop look at the exhaust and all they had to do was a minor adjustment to the pipes that connect to the muffler. All is good again.

Old 11-13-2016, 11:56 AM
8Crow
Tourer
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Not wanting to hijack this thread but a question to those that are running the Progressive rear shocks. Do you think that ride quality will be affected if heavy duty vrs standard (springs) shocks are installed when the maximum load (rider, passenger, luggage, etc) is at least 60 lbs less than the MOCO recommended of 500 lbs? Haven't read of anyone using the "standard" load springs and wondering if the "heavy duty" springs are not required, would the ride be softer?
Appreciate any feedback on this as I am trying to decide on suspension upgrades for my '13. Bouncing back and forth between the Bitubo shocks that DK sells and Progressive. Certainly respect the extensive testing results and professional opinion that Kevin has provided but $$ and the warranty of the Progressive shocks is a major consideration... Spend smart = buy more?

Opinions???

Thanks...

Old 11-13-2016, 02:05 PM
Oogie Wa Wa
Road Master
Received 388 Likes on 254 Posts

I could be wrong, but I thought you needed the heavy duty springs because of the extra rear weight of the Tri Glide over say the Ultra.

Old 11-14-2016, 01:03 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,939 Likes on 2,294 Posts

Originally Posted by 8Crow
Not wanting to hijack this thread but a question to those that are running the Progressive rear shocks. Do you think that ride quality will be affected if heavy duty vrs standard (springs) shocks are installed when the maximum load (rider, passenger, luggage, etc) is at least 60 lbs less than the MOCO recommended of 500 lbs? Haven't read of anyone using the "standard" load springs and wondering if the "heavy duty" springs are not required, would the ride be softer?
Appreciate any feedback on this as I am trying to decide on suspension upgrades for my '13. Bouncing back and forth between the Bitubo shocks that DK sells and Progressive. Certainly respect the extensive testing results and professional opinion that Kevin has provided but $$ and the warranty of the Progressive shocks is a major consideration... Spend smart = buy more?

Opinions???

Thanks...
I understand $ being an issue.

We tested the progressives, they are better than stock (and it is better to get the light spring and use more pre-load for a softer ride, than get the heavy spring and use less pre-load), but they are not even in the same ballpark as the Twin-Adjustable or Pro-Action Shockss. The PA shocks have a lifetime warranty...but, they are more expensive. Just a matter of a weighing out if you want a little better for some green or a lot better for a little more green.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 11-14-2016, 05:11 PM
8Crow
Tourer
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by DK Custom
I understand $ being an issue.

We tested the progressives, they are better than stock (and it is better to get the light spring and use more pre-load for a softer ride, than get the heavy spring and use less pre-load), but they are not even in the same ballpark as the Twin-Adjustable or Pro-Action Shockss. The PA shocks have a lifetime warranty...but, they are more expensive. Just a matter of a weighing out if you want a little better for some green or a lot better for a little more green.
Thanks for taking the time to reply Kevin. Your opinion (backed with extensive testing) carries a lot of weight... Your free shipping offer has expired but I wanted to wait for the results of the front suspension tests before I make a final decision and order front and rear (likely the Twin Adjustable) upgrades. Hopefully by then our Canadian $ will improve a bit - $.73 on your $ kinda bites!!

Apologies for derailing the OP's original thread...

Old 11-14-2016, 06:32 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,939 Likes on 2,294 Posts

Originally Posted by 8Crow
Thanks for taking the time to reply Kevin. Your opinion (backed with extensive testing) carries a lot of weight... Your free shipping offer has expired but I wanted to wait for the results of the front suspension tests before I make a final decision and order front and rear (likely the Twin Adjustable) upgrades. Hopefully by then our Canadian $ will improve a bit - $.73 on your $ kinda bites!!

Apologies for derailing the OP's original thread...
We spent all afternoon today, testing 7 different configurations, on two 2 wheel bikes and one Tri-Glide.

We are spending two more days this week to try and wrap up all the testing...but I think it is going to overflow into at least one more day beyond that....but we're getting closer!

Quick Reply: Which Progressive Rear Shocks on a TriGlide