Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

This can't be normal can it? 2015 TG

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2016, 07:40 AM
Mr. Wizard
Administrator
Received 2,035 Likes on 1,103 Posts

Since it is not warranty... do you have a good indy in your area that would do good work for less?

Old 04-23-2016, 08:00 PM
Gitarded
Road Master
Received 133 Likes on 92 Posts

I called another Harley shop about an hour away...they were $165 higher that the local guys. We have one independent here that specializes in Big Dog but is also a Harley tech. He is usually a little better on price but he is a one man show so I would be without it for longer.

Has anyone heard of the reverse motor breaking teeth off the ring gear? I am just wondering if that could have caused this? I was told that the reverse motor is good but could it be it was not engaged right?

I appreciate your thoughts.

Old 04-23-2016, 10:00 PM
sd jon
Tourer
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

I really doubt it happened that way. Would be nice if you could talk a dealer into it for warranty work though. Still doesn't explain the belt worn on the other side of the starter.

Old 04-23-2016, 11:21 PM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,458 Likes on 1,589 Posts

The only issue that I have ever experienced with a drive belt was due to gravel(s) getting lodged between the belt and one of the pulleys.
Eventually, the imbedded gravel found it's way all the way through the belt.

I didn't have to replace the belt at that time, but later on my trans had to be replaced so I also had the belt and clutch replaced just to be safe.

I've been told that driving on fresh tar and gravel roads is one of the worst things for drive belts, so now you've been told also. However, I picked up my little problem somewhere on the Al-Can Hwy on my way to Alaska.

I'm not sure as to how many labor hours may be involved in your repair but I'd guess that the labor will probably be twice as much (if not more) than the cost of the parts.

Good luck.

Old 04-28-2016, 06:38 PM
Flintshooter54
Road Captain
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I will take a guess at the ring gear. Wife's trike when backing up a slight hill, like the crown of the road when parking nose down in a parking spot, will not disengage the reverse gear unless it coasts back another couple inches. This is the only time it does this. So then you drop into first and try to drive away and the reverse gear is still engaged. We know what to do now. Just stop roll back enough to allow some free play in that reverse motor gear and it retracts. Then drive off. But if you don't know whats its doing and just drop the clutch it has to put one huge force into that ring gear. I can see it easily taking out a few teeth.

Old 04-29-2016, 07:13 PM
Fearless (old nickname)
Road Master
Received 115 Likes on 103 Posts
Wink +1

Originally Posted by Flintshooter54
I will take a guess at the ring gear. Wife's trike when backing up a slight hill, like the crown of the road when parking nose down in a parking spot, will not disengage the reverse gear unless it coasts back another couple inches. This is the only time it does this. So then you drop into first and try to drive away and the reverse gear is still engaged. We know what to do now. Just stop roll back enough to allow some free play in that reverse motor gear and it retracts. Then drive off. But if you don't know whats its doing and just drop the clutch it has to put one huge force into that ring gear. I can see it easily taking out a few teeth.

I believe you have a very viable answer for missing teeth on ring gear. fearless

Old 05-02-2016, 08:24 AM
Gitarded
Road Master

Originally Posted by Flintshooter54
Something like that should be covered by warranty don't you think? I remember seeing something in the owners guide about that. Naturally MoCo couldn't make the design so that is would not go into first gear if the bendix drive was out on the reverse motor.

I think you are on to something with the disengagement. The shop said they could not figure out how the ring gear was damaged on the side totally opposite of the belt damage. The explanation was that something must have gotten hung up in there.

Fintshooter54 did you have to do any repairs as a result of that? There may be a lot of people that have this issue and don't know about it. Maybe it should be on the pre-ride checklist at times.

I am not the orignal owner so it is possible that it did happen that way.

I think if I bought the trike at the dealer they would have tried to sneak in some warranty claim there. I bought it from a private owner. The shop rate they get from MoCo on warranty is probably less than the customer rate.

Old 05-02-2016, 08:44 AM
HotRod9mm
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Do you know when the trike was purchased by the original owner?

Old 05-02-2016, 09:57 AM
Gitarded
Road Master

Oh yea... it has warranty until Feb 2017.

Old 05-02-2016, 10:11 AM
HotRod9mm
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Gitarded
Oh yea... it has warranty until Feb 2017.
I had to call Milwaukee to get a problem fixed on my RK that was under warrantee that I purchased when
it was 1yr old. The local dealer tried feeding me a load of cr*p about a braking problem I was experiencing.

The dealer guessing at what MIGHT have happened is like relying on the weather man(person) to get it right.

"One Call, thats all!"(sorry, could not resist)

Quick Reply: This can't be normal can it? 2015 TG