Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

This can't be normal can it? 2015 TG

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2016, 10:02 PM
Gitarded
Road Master
Received 133 Likes on 92 Posts
Default This can't be normal can it? 2015 TG

Hi guys...

I just picked up this 2015 TG. It has less than 3K on it. I was detailing it and had the side covers off. I noticed some marks on the top of the drive belt. It appears to me like it was rubbing against something but I don't see where. This can't be normal, can it? I am new to a trike.

Thanks

Attached Thumbnails This can't be normal can it?  2015 TG-drive-belt-1.jpg   This can't be normal can it?  2015 TG-drive-belt-2.jpg  
Old 04-16-2016, 10:35 PM
sd jon
Tourer
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

No it's not normal. My first thought is it's too loose and rubbing on something during deceleration. Don't know why, but to me it seems the belts on trikes are tighter, checked on several at the dealer and they where all tight. What are the rest of you finding?

Old 04-17-2016, 06:50 AM
bronxbill
Road Warrior

Received 453 Likes on 280 Posts

Not normal. I'd get it checked and replace the belt ASAP.

Old 04-17-2016, 08:35 AM
Mr. Wizard
Administrator
Received 2,035 Likes on 1,103 Posts

It doesn't look that serious just yet but I agree with the above... find out what's doing that and get it resolved.

Old 04-18-2016, 08:17 PM
Gitarded
Road Master

Thanks guys...going to get it checked Wednesday. I appreciate your inputs.

Old 04-19-2016, 07:21 PM
woodmnctry
Tourer
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Please let us know what happens.

Old 04-19-2016, 08:23 PM
sd jon
Tourer
Default belt

Please do, I'd be very interested in what's doing that.

Old 04-21-2016, 08:09 PM
Gitarded
Road Master

Well.... the shop told me that something must have gotten jammed under the trike. They said the reverse ring gear is missing 4 teeth in a row. The belt damage was more cosmetic than causing a functional problem. I was told $1500 to fix it. That would include replacing the belt and ring gear plus labor. So this must have happened with the previous owner(s). The trike has only 2800 miles on it. The person I bought it from said he never looked at the belt when he had it. I believe him. Anyway, I sure am getting an education on trikes. I have had many two wheelers in my life and have 3 now. My wife wanted the trike. Does this sound about right for the repair? I didn't get the sense that the shop worked on a lot of trikes. I don't want to pay for someone elses harley education I am paying enough for mine.

Old 04-21-2016, 09:50 PM
sd jon
Tourer

That sucks! I don't know if that price is good or not. I would want someone with experience working on mine. Shop around some. I would bet that the original owner knows how this happened.

Old 04-22-2016, 07:10 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Gitarded
Well.... the shop told me that something must have gotten jammed under the trike. They said the reverse ring gear is missing 4 teeth in a row. The belt damage was more cosmetic than causing a functional problem. I was told $1500 to fix it. That would include replacing the belt and ring gear plus labor. So this must have happened with the previous owner(s). The trike has only 2800 miles on it. The person I bought it from said he never looked at the belt when he had it. I believe him. Anyway, I sure am getting an education on trikes. I have had many two wheelers in my life and have 3 now. My wife wanted the trike. Does this sound about right for the repair? I didn't get the sense that the shop worked on a lot of trikes. I don't want to pay for someone elses harley education I am paying enough for mine.
Sounds about right, the reverse gear list for $303, the belt is $221, then necessary gaskets for the primary and labor. A belt swap and reverse gear replacement isn't a walk in the park, they have to take a lot of stuff apart to do it. I'd try and get them to discount the parts with hopes of saving a few bucks.

Quick Reply: This can't be normal can it? 2015 TG