Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Riding partner going to 3 Wheels!

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2016, 05:43 AM
KJB
Tourer
Received 73 Likes on 29 Posts

I bought my Trike because my riding partner (my wife of 45+ years) said if she was going to get on a motorcycle it had to have 3 wheels. We enjoyed some great rides together. Sadly my wife passed away suddenly in December so my main reason for going to a Trike was gone. However, now that I've experienced the Trike I have no desire to replace it with a 2-wheeler. So I did go to a Trike out of necessity but I'm there now by choice.

Old 04-24-2016, 06:10 AM
elPrez
Stellar HDF Member
Received 448 Likes on 313 Posts

I'll be on three wheels when the time comes, without hesitation.

Old 04-24-2016, 07:08 AM
bronxbill
Road Warrior

Received 453 Likes on 280 Posts

2AMGuy

I bought a 2011 Triglide because I thought it would be fun to ride one. I kept it a year and a half and traded it in on a Roadglide Ultra. I found that I missed the trike so I bought a used 2013 Triglide but kept my Dyna. Fast forward to now, I just sold the Dyna because I enjoy the trike so much, that I never rode it. I have no physical reason to ride a trike, I just like it. I have over 40 years on 2 wheels, but I will probably never go back

Old 04-24-2016, 01:03 PM
graygoat
Road Master
Received 221 Likes on 187 Posts

I went to a Tri late last fall to keep my wife riding with me (hip & knee). I could still ride 2 wheels solo, but have no plans to do so. I like the comfort and stability of the trike and at 68 years, I am happy with it until the end.

Old 04-24-2016, 02:20 PM
screwball
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by KJB
I bought my Trike because my riding partner (my wife of 45+ years) said if she was going to get on a motorcycle it had to have 3 wheels. We enjoyed some great rides together. Sadly my wife passed away suddenly in December so my main reason for going to a Trike was gone. However, now that I've experienced the Trike I have no desire to replace it with a 2-wheeler. So I did go to a Trike out of necessity but I'm there now by choice.
I'm so sorry for your loss. I almost lost Vesta to cancer 9 years ago, but she pulled through, and with a trike we kept on riding. Not sure what I would have done had we lost her.

Old 04-24-2016, 06:59 PM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,492 Likes on 1,604 Posts

We had lunch with my friend and his wife today.

He's leaning towards converting his Ultra to a trike due to the fact that he as some much invested in the bike and is "customized" to his specifications.

While I can understand his thinking, all I can think about is him investing more money into a soon-to-be 7 year old motorcycle/trike that has 30,000+ miles on the odometer.

However, it's his machine and his money so I'll support his decision but I "suggested" that he keep his bike AND purchase a new Tri-Glide and just put the "necessary accessories" (rider backrest, foot pegs and tour pack lid luggage rack) then see if he is happy being on "three wheel" before he commences the big money accessorizing on it.

Thanks for all the replies, I'll pass them on to him.

Old 04-24-2016, 08:09 PM
Alienwulf
Supporter
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Your friend is not that far off. He will never get what he has in his Ultra but you say he has it all set up the way he loves it. If he puts a good kit on it he will be out of pocket less than half what a new trike would set him back 34k sticker with no upgrades. Then 1000's in extras. I don't think 30k is all that much mileage and a refresh down the road isn't much either. Just something to think about.

Old 04-24-2016, 10:35 PM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,492 Likes on 1,604 Posts

Originally Posted by Alienwulf
Your friend is not that far off. He will never get what he has in his Ultra but you say he has it all set up the way he loves it. If he puts a good kit on it he will be out of pocket less than half what a new trike would set him back 34k sticker with no upgrades. Then 1000's in extras. I don't think 30k is all that much mileage and a refresh down the road isn't much either. Just something to think about.
It seems that his wife is lobbying for him to get a new trike with a full 7 year warranty.
All of us were at the dealership earlier today looking at the new trikes and I was talking about a friend of mine that has an older converted trike and the issues that he had with it and that may have been what influenced her decision.
He (they, I) are all getting to the age where we don't need to be doing serious work on anything so a new trike just makes more sense.

Old 04-25-2016, 03:01 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by 2AMGuy
We had lunch with my friend and his wife today.

He's leaning towards converting his Ultra to a trike due to the fact that he as some much invested in the bike and is "customized" to his specifications.

While I can understand his thinking, all I can think about is him investing more money into a soon-to-be 7 year old motorcycle/trike that has 30,000+ miles on the odometer.

However, it's his machine and his money so I'll support his decision but I "suggested" that he keep his bike AND purchase a new Tri-Glide and just put the "necessary accessories" (rider backrest, foot pegs and tour pack lid luggage rack) then see if he is happy being on "three wheel" before he commences the big money accessorizing on it.

Thanks for all the replies, I'll pass them on to him.
If he does decide to trike his bike, tell him to look real hard at the Hannigan's. They have about the best looking & built trike out there.

Old 04-25-2016, 09:09 AM
BobRed0965
Cruiser
Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

My wife went to 3 wheels the year that I was off bikes due to an injury, and she would let me ride it whenever she wasn't using it.

It's certainly better than a cage, but I found that I prefer the feeling of of two wheels, so I went back to two as soon as I could. So for her, it was a choice, but for me that year, it was a necessity.

I still ride hers occasionally, and I have absolutely no trouble adjusting, but the only way you'll know if it's for you is to try it.

Quick Reply: Riding partner going to 3 Wheels!