Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Jump Start & Battery Removal

Old 04-24-2016, 12:34 PM
Raxus
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Jump Start & Battery Removal

Can any show me EXACTLY where I can jump start this beast thru the starter? Someone told me awhile back I can just jump thru the starter without connecting directly to the battery terminals?

Also can anyone direct me to a video on how to remove the battery? I can take off the 2 torx screws to the tray but damn if I can find where the tray is connected to so I can take it off completely to get to the battery. Right now all I can do is just lift it up enough to get jumper cables in there.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Rax

Old 04-24-2016, 04:02 PM
bigdumbnoitall00
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 632 Likes on 504 Posts

battery removal is in your owners manual. if u follow the batterie leeds from the battery to the starter you'll see where to connect clamps for jumping or charging. it also has a pigtail under the left side cover for low amp charging or maintainer,this is also in the owners manual.

Old 04-24-2016, 08:06 PM
Hard Ride
Road Captain
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Tell you a short cut...if you have a battery tender brand kit that comes with the clamps you can plug the clamps into your pig tail and then clamp to a stand alone battery and jump start your ride...

Old 04-24-2016, 09:15 PM
bigdumbnoitall00
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 632 Likes on 504 Posts

^the pigtail is fused.think it might be 10amp? jumping will blow the fuse. low amp charger or tender only.

Old 04-30-2016, 04:00 PM
RAP
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just curious, you have a 2014 and need a battery already?

Old 04-30-2016, 05:22 PM
Raxus
Road Warrior

Sometimes when I try to start my trike it'll turn over once then click. Then the trike acts like I turned it off and on again (infotainment system reboots, fuel pump turns back on again, etc) then does nothing but click. This normally happens after I have rode a bit, turn it off (like getting gas) and have to restart the trike right after I have turned it off. Every once in awhile if I take out the main fuse and put it back in that will work, but not very often. I have taken it to the dealer but they say the battery is good and the charging system is fine. The only way I can get the thing started again is by jumping it.

One other thing that happen this last time. When it started to click and I turned it off, the infotainment screen stayed on..no music just the Harley logo on screen..with everything off.

Dealer also suggested I always have the battery tender on when not riding it. Great advice except when I am out of town and staying overnight. Been doing this (except the last thing with the infotainment system) for over a year now.

Rax

Old 05-01-2016, 06:06 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Raxus
Sometimes when I try to start my trike it'll turn over once then click. Then the trike acts like I turned it off and on again (infotainment system reboots, fuel pump turns back on again, etc) then does nothing but click. This normally happens after I have rode a bit, turn it off (like getting gas) and have to restart the trike right after I have turned it off. Every once in awhile if I take out the main fuse and put it back in that will work, but not very often. I have taken it to the dealer but they say the battery is good and the charging system is fine. The only way I can get the thing started again is by jumping it.

One other thing that happen this last time. When it started to click and I turned it off, the infotainment screen stayed on..no music just the Harley logo on screen..with everything off.

Dealer also suggested I always have the battery tender on when not riding it. Great advice except when I am out of town and staying overnight. Been doing this (except the last thing with the infotainment system) for over a year now.

Rax
The next time it does this, try cycling the ignition switch off and on a couple times and then try and start it. Jump starting is a risky business, sooner or later you're going to send a surge to something and cook it. Could be the radio, or could be the ECM, something sure enough will fry. I'm wondering if something is getting flaky in your ignition switch.

Old 05-01-2016, 09:46 AM
Backdraft161
Tourer
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I have seen several bikes and trukes having a stick on igntion switch which will run the battery down. Next time you start it use your finger nail behind the switch and pull back on it slightly. Thus removing the contact to the starter.
You having to jump start the battery is wrong. There is something else going wrong with your trike. Take it back to the dealer and have them check it out. Is it throwing any cides?

Old 05-01-2016, 09:46 AM
Backdraft161
Tourer
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Codes?

Old 05-01-2016, 11:07 AM
Raxus
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Backdraft161
Codes?
The dealer said the only codes it was throwing was something about it not starting? Sorry we took it to the dealdr last year for this so I am not sure.

MS3: Will do what ya said. I was beginning to suspect the ignition switch when this last time the infotainment system never shut down like the rest of the bike did.

Rax

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Jump Start & Battery Removal