Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Luggage Rack

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2016, 10:34 AM
dwoodlives
Cruiser
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

After reading Gunnysgt's "secret" I had to go look at my installation. I had it "right on" left/right but installed the rack about 3/4" further back from the factory recommendation.

I remember when I did it that I didn't want whatever was strapped to the rack to interfere with the passenger.

As I mentioned in my previous post, I think the rack is one of the best additions that can be made to the stock setup.

Attached Thumbnails Luggage Rack-triglide-rack.jpg  
Old 05-10-2016, 01:07 PM
Gitarded
Road Master
Received 133 Likes on 92 Posts

Wow an example of a serviceable engineering... must have had dealer pressure with screwed up lids costing too much money. All the holes for HD accessories should be indicated like that. Thanks for sharing

Old 05-10-2016, 01:45 PM
Muffbrorick
Tourer
Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Gunnysgt
That's why I called it a secret. Right after I retired, I worked at a Harley Dealership in the Service Dept. The Service Mgr clued me in on that one. Don't think it's written anywhere.
I think it is a great feature. Wonder why they don't put it in the instructions? I will make sure to pass on the info to anyone I know that buys a touring bike

Old 05-11-2016, 12:10 AM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,494 Likes on 1,604 Posts

I have a '13 CVO Ultra and I had my tour pack luggage rack installed before I took delivery.
Later on someone had a post on this forum about some larger chrome spacer/washers that added extra protection to the tour pack lid.

I ordered them and installed them myself and they look cool!
(I think they also come in black).

My cousin did the same to his '15 Tri-Glide

I couldn't so without my tour pack OR the luggage rack on trips.

Old 05-11-2016, 06:06 AM
MikeyTX
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 197 Likes on 167 Posts

Shouldn't need extra spacer washers. Go look at one that is a factory install. The rack has specially designed black soft, non marking plastic poly washers designed for the rack. They keep the rack from marring the paint and, because they conform to the lid curvature, seal the drilled hole. The top washer snaps over the feet of the rack, the flat one, goes on the underside. Also, the Mo Co uses button head allen bolts rather than hex head. Less chance of scratching a helmet or cutting a leather jacket.

The following users liked this post:
BobRed0965 (05-11-2016)
Old 05-11-2016, 07:26 AM
BobRed0965
Cruiser
Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Muffbrorick
I think it is a great feature. Wonder why they don't put it in the instructions?
Because they would rather you spend $80/hour at the dealership.

Old 05-11-2016, 08:16 AM
kishstl
Road Master
Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

Adding a luggage rack to my tour pack. Tried to save a few bucks and get one off of ebay for $49. SUPER CRAPPY CHEAP A** piece of Chinese scrap metal. All welds are sloppy and un-filed. One leg welded off center so it won't mount properly and rust already coming out of one of the threaded leg holes. Don't waste your time and return postage, Funny too as the company calls itself USA Motor Parts Factory.

Old 05-11-2016, 01:01 PM
MikeyTX
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by BobRed0965
Because they would rather you spend $80/hour at the dealership.
$80 ? Must be nice. Ours are all over a C note in the metro Dallas area.

Old 05-21-2016, 02:43 AM
missedem
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Just curious with those that have installed luggage racks. Did that make the any areas that leak water after the holes were drilled and the rack installed. ?? Thanks.

Old 05-21-2016, 06:04 AM
MikeyTX
Outstanding HDF Member

No leaks if done properly. One must use the soft plastic bootie that snaps to the bottom of each leg where it goes over the drilled hole on the outside of the lid along with the flat plastic one on the inside. Then the flat metal one and mounting bolt. Tighten till snug and you're good to go. Mine has been through several rain storms and high pressure washes at the dealer after service over the past several weeks since I did the install at home.

Quick Reply: Luggage Rack