Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Haul Triglide in pickup bed???

Old 05-10-2016, 09:14 AM
woodmnctry
Tourer
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Haul Triglide in pickup bed???

Need to haul a HD Trike --- I have an enclosed trailer that will get the job done but it would be sooooo much easier on the mileage if I could simply load in the back of my pickup --- secure it and head down the road. Yes the trailer will definitely haul it (trailer hauls 4 HD bikes) but would be vastly easier and more economical just to haul in the Pickup. Checking with those that have done this as to thoughts and words of wisdom. By the way -- 8 ft bed on my truck and would use a front chock bolted to a fitted piece of plywood --- secure the rear to tie downs in the bed and go for it.
Thoughts and guidance please.

Old 05-10-2016, 11:55 AM
Gitarded
Road Master
Received 133 Likes on 92 Posts

Use the trailer or rent a small one from UHaul. It might fit but it would be tight and not worth the risk in my opinion. If it bounces or leans your are going to have a repair. Trikes are heavy.

Old 05-10-2016, 01:04 PM
bronxbill
Road Warrior

Received 453 Likes on 280 Posts

It is not the length, it is the width that would be a problem. I have a 5' wide trailer and would not try to get the trike into it

Old 05-10-2016, 01:28 PM
woodmnctry
Tourer
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Bad idea on my part --- just way too close on the fenders --- guess I will be taking the trailer.

Old 05-10-2016, 06:23 PM
Fearless (old nickname)
Road Master
Received 115 Likes on 103 Posts
Thumbs up excellent choice

For the investment I would not chance any damage on the TriGlide. travel safely fearless

Old 05-11-2016, 06:11 AM
cochon
Road Warrior
Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

I did it in my Nissan Frontier. Because the truck only has a 6 foot bed, I had to lay 5 2x10's 8 feet long in the bed, then I put a sheet of 3/4" plywood over the planks. This supported the rear wheels which were on the tailgate. I've got to say that my 1/2 ton pickup did the job quite well, but, I don't think I would like to make an extended trip with this setup. I think it would be fine for a short haul, though.

Old 05-11-2016, 11:05 AM
screwball
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

You will need one hell of a long loading ramp, tailgate height is a lot more than a trailer, also need a place to store that ramp so you can get your trike back out of the bed.

Good Luck

Old 05-12-2016, 06:34 AM
cochon
Road Warrior
Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

[QUOTE=screwball;15134458]You will need one hell of a long loading ramp, tailgate height is a lot more than a trailer, also need a place to store that ramp so you can get your trike back out of the bed.

Good Luck[/QUOTE

I backed my truck up to a steep side hill and used my folding aluminum snowmobile loading ramp to load it with no problem. After it was loaded, I simply folded the ramp up and slid it under the bike. I took the trike to the dealership where they have a very nice loading dock that is almost the same level as the truck bed, backed up to it , and used the ramp to unload it.

Old 05-12-2016, 03:55 PM
otsports
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Old 05-14-2016, 09:32 AM
sprinkman
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Go to www.trkeloader.com check their system

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Haul Triglide in pickup bed???