Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Backrest for TG

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2016, 07:20 PM
Mindee
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Backrest for TG

I'm planning on getting a new backrest this week. I was hoping to learn from your experiences. I'm about 5'9" riding a '13 TG, and would like a backrest that I can really lean on while riding. I'm leaning towards the adjustable one from HD, but I heard it doesn't come on and off easily. True? Other ideas based on personal experience?

Old 05-14-2016, 08:34 PM
PRrdglide
Road Master
Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts

The one on mine just works a little different from the ohr one I had once you find the trick it's not that bad. And I hardly remove the backrest .

Old 05-14-2016, 09:11 PM
screwball
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I have the Harley stock backrest on both my Freewheeler and her Tri-Glide. Both adjustable. They work great! The newer models have a much easier latch to remove the backrest, although the only time I've taken them off is when I take the seat off. I lean heavily on the backrest and it doesn't move.

Good Luck

Old 05-15-2016, 10:06 AM
Glydin
Cruiser
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm putting the HD adjustable on mine Mindee. My husband had one on his Ultra and liked it, so I'm going with that. Don't see that I'll be removing very often.

Old 05-17-2016, 06:22 AM
MackAttack
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Mindee,

I have the HD adjustable back rest and I recommend it. As previously mentioned, you really need to know how to operate it. When you have it installed, practice removing and installing the back rest a couple of times. Then practice adjusting it. If you don't know how to do those things, it could be a problem. I think you'll really like the HD adjustable back rest very much.

Cheers and Happy Riding to you.
Mack

Last edited by MackAttack; 05-17-2016 at 07:41 AM.
Old 05-17-2016, 07:11 AM
BobRed0965
Cruiser
Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Mindee
I'm planning on getting a new backrest this week. I was hoping to learn from your experiences. I'm about 5'9" riding a '13 TG, and would like a backrest that I can really lean on while riding. I'm leaning towards the adjustable one from HD, but I heard it doesn't come on and off easily. True? Other ideas based on personal experience?
The backrest is easy to remove from the adjustable mount, once you've done it a couple of times. You just squeeze a lever and lift it up. It takes two seconds.

I have it on my RGU and my only complaint is that mine doesn't go back far enough, but I'm a pretty big guy.

You probably won't need to take it off often because in the far-forward position, it nearly lays flat, so it's out of the way for a passenger to mount/dismount.

It is the next thing that my wife wants on her TGU.

Old 05-17-2016, 07:37 AM
Gitarded
Road Master
Received 133 Likes on 92 Posts

I have the HD back rest on my '15. It works well. They should have made the latch to remove it orange or white. It is hard to see the latch when you want to pull it off. Once you find the latch it's easy to take it off.

Old 05-17-2016, 05:35 PM
rubberfrog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 120 Likes on 83 Posts

I installed the HD adjustable backrest for Mindee. It was just what the doctor ordered. Easy to adjust and easy to remove/replace. Thanks for the input folks!

The following users liked this post:
Fearless (old nickname) (05-17-2016)
Old 05-17-2016, 08:11 PM
Oogie Wa Wa
Road Master
Received 388 Likes on 254 Posts

I've got a Mustang one that is also removable and adjustable, works fine even when I switched to a Road Zeppelin.

Old 05-19-2016, 09:33 AM
MikeyTX
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 197 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by Oogie Wa Wa
I've got a Mustang one that is also removable and adjustable, works fine even when I switched to a Road Zeppelin.
This ! Mine made the move over from my FLHTKL when I traded it last week.

Quick Reply: Backrest for TG