Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Why not IRS???

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2016, 05:25 PM
cajunlowrider
Road Master
Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Why not IRS???

Considering a trike or some 3 wheeled vehicle. To those of you with Tri Glides and Freeewheelers, why did you go with a fixed rear axle vs the independent rear suspension of some other models, particularly the Gold Wing conversions?

Also thinking about this: www.tiltingmotorworks.com

Old 05-19-2016, 06:29 PM
PRrdglide
Road Master
Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts

I thought about adding a kit to my limited. But for less money I got traded for a trike. I plan on traveling . Any time I have traveled if someone needed something the Harley Davidson network just seems to get you back on the road I really like this trike. I hope to have it in NC in a couple of weeks

Old 05-19-2016, 06:35 PM
zeman1
Advanced
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Plenty of IRS conversion kits are available for Harleys.
If you want a Wing, plenty of kits for that.
I ride a DFT conversion of a 05 ElectraGlide and enjoy it.

The following users liked this post:
cajunlowrider (05-19-2016)
Old 05-19-2016, 07:33 PM
Clint44
Road Warrior
Received 660 Likes on 411 Posts

Our Hannigan Transformer conversion is IRS and the ride quality is impressive. It also has a Champion mech reverse,much better than the H-D electric unit. The Hannigan rear disc brakes are much better too,IMO. I also like the steering response from our HHI 5deg billet trees,compared to H-D's 3deg units. No,our trike isn't under warranty but hopefully it won't be needed.

cajunlowrider (05-19-2016)
Old 05-19-2016, 07:58 PM
screwball
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

You said the magic word "Conversion" My Buddy Jerry's Wing/Lehman broke in Idaho on a very fun ride. The Honda Dealer said the problem was in the conversion, Indy said it would take a week or two for parts, once he found what was wrong.

Old 05-19-2016, 09:00 PM
sd jon
Tourer
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Price was a factor, traded a 09 ultra for the 12 trike. Wanted to stay with Harley, rode the Tri Glide and liked it. When I have trouble with reverse mechanical is always an option.

Old 05-19-2016, 09:24 PM
Clint44
Road Warrior
Received 660 Likes on 411 Posts

Originally Posted by screwball
You said the magic word "Conversion" My Buddy Jerry's Wing/Lehman broke in Idaho on a very fun ride. The Honda Dealer said the problem was in the conversion, Indy said it would take a week or two for parts, once he found what was wrong.
I'm sure there has never been a Tri Glide stranded somewhere in this country for lack of parts and service. I think my Hannigan conversion is superior to a factory H-D trike so I'll take my chances.
Six of one,half dozen of the other.

Old 05-19-2016, 11:04 PM
missedem
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

I have heard of a lot of problems with conversions. I was going to do one on my dyna. I talked to Lehman and Champion among others. It was mentioned that although rare occasionally you can break a frame or suspension part when converting a motorcycle to a trike. Lots of people also do a conversion and never have a problem. You have to decide if the risk however small is worth it to you. I decided id rather just have a factory trike . Bought a freewheeler . For a trike it handles well. Also talked with many trike owners and the jist of it is IRS is a bit more comfortable for some. Solid axle handles a bit better. Its really an individual choice. Id try and find someone who will let you demo a trike with IRS and demo a freewheeler or tri-glide and see which you like . What is right for one person is not necessarily good for another.

P.S. I ride hard so I will take the better handling of a solid axle. But that is because of how I ride.

Last edited by missedem; 05-19-2016 at 11:07 PM.
Old 05-19-2016, 11:17 PM
screwball
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Clint44
I'm sure there has never been a Tri Glide stranded somewhere in this country for lack of parts and service. I think my Hannigan conversion is superior to a factory H-D trike so I'll take my chances.
Six of one,half dozen of the other.
Have no knowledge of Hannigan Conversions. I do know that Lehman had problems with parts distribution after the father died and before Champion bought them. Honda dealers wouldn't work on them (warranty) and Independents had a hard time finding parts or getting any technical support.

I have never had any problem finding a Harley store in our travels. When the top motor mount worked itself loose in Coos Bay Oregon they scavenged parts to get me back on the road.

Old 05-20-2016, 05:55 AM
cochon
Road Warrior
Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

When the doctors told me that I'd never be able to ride a motorcycle again, I started looking at trike conversions for my 2010 Ultra Limited with only 2500 miles on it. What I soon learned was that the kits were pricey to buy, and not cheap to install and paint. After I did all my research, trading for a new 2012 with a warranty just made the most sense to me from a purely financial point of view. The conversion kit that I wanted was going to cost me around $15,000 to buy, install myself, paint, rake out the front end, and install a reverse kit. After doing all this, I would have a "custom" bike with no warranty and questionable trade in or resale value. I was able to trade my Limited in at the local dealer for a much more favorable cost and I had a warranty. I've been smiling ever since. I am sure that the IRS is a legitimate concern, and I would like to try one because I believe it might be a softer ride, but, the rigid axle was hardly a deal breaker for me and I would buy another TriGlide when the time is right.

cajunlowrider (05-20-2016)

Quick Reply: Why not IRS???