Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Screaming Eagle Super Tuner???

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2016, 08:06 PM
woodmnctry
Tourer
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Screaming Eagle Super Tuner???

Pros/ cons from those that have been there used or experienced it --- I am setting up new (to us) bike (2014 Triglide) for the wife --- local wrench is telling me he likes the Screaming Eagle Super Tuner better than brand x y and z--- I was headed a different route but he was pretty emphatic and is not selling them or has anything to gain from one tuner over the other --- sooooo??
Qualified comments please as I up till today had narrowed down the field to a couple of the well known options and then had a wrench (pun intended) tossed into the equation --- bike is getting all the good stuff for a phase 1 so that part is pretty much solved --- but now the tuner question??

Old 05-19-2016, 08:26 PM
Gitarded
Road Master
Received 133 Likes on 92 Posts

Fuel pak 3 and do it yourself anytime you want.

Old 05-19-2016, 08:50 PM
harleygeezer
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Screaming Eagle Super Tuner???

I had the Harley street tuner with a map loaded on my 2014 tri glide. Bike seemed to run good but was generating a lot more heat than my 2009 ultra classic. Long story short I installed the Vance & Hines FP3 on my tri glide last month and could not believe the difference in power and heat over the Harley tuner. Bike is running cooler and much smoother and stronger now. Hard to believe it's the same bike. Very easy to tune using your smartphone. Go to Amazon.com and read others reviews of the FP3.

Last edited by harleygeezer; 05-19-2016 at 08:56 PM.
Old 05-19-2016, 11:13 PM
missedem
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

The harley street tuner and the S.E. Super tuner are not the same thing. The super tuner is much more tunable . The street tuner is e.p.a. compliant and limited on what it can do.
I have been leaning toward the xied's or an FP3 but i'm far away from an h-d shop or an independent mechanic and so have to find stuff easy to use. If you are planning to take your bike to this particular mechanic and he is a good tuner I would consider using what he likes as it is probably what he can tune best with.

Old 05-20-2016, 06:00 AM
arnie54
Tourer
Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts

If this guy is going to be doing your wrenching then I would get what he is most comfortable with. I have the s e race tuner on my 14 tri-glide & am happy with it. But with that said I have no knowledge of the other tuners. I have this tuner just because it's what H-D sells & if I'm on the road & have a problem, It seems that there is always a dealer near by.

Old 05-20-2016, 06:08 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by woodmnctry
Pros/ cons from those that have been there used or experienced it --- I am setting up new (to us) bike (2014 Triglide) for the wife --- local wrench is telling me he likes the Screaming Eagle Super Tuner better than brand x y and z--- I was headed a different route but he was pretty emphatic and is not selling them or has anything to gain from one tuner over the other --- sooooo??
Qualified comments please as I up till today had narrowed down the field to a couple of the well known options and then had a wrench (pun intended) tossed into the equation --- bike is getting all the good stuff for a phase 1 so that part is pretty much solved --- but now the tuner question??
The SEPST will get the job done, Stage 1 on a Rushmore isn't much or a leap from dead stock. FWIW, unless you're changing the stock air cleaner to one you like the looks of, there really isn't much to be gained since the one on the 2014 and later are better than their predecessors.

Old 05-21-2016, 02:17 AM
missedem
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

I changed out my stock air cleaner for the S.E. kit . Below about 3500 R.P.M. I really did not see much difference than stock but above that the bike actually pulled noticeably harder with the S.E. unit. I just got the kit that went under the stock air cleaner cover. If you do not rev your bike up much the stock AC is fine. I like the power difference but I like to rev the bike up too.

Old 05-21-2016, 10:30 AM
woodmnctry
Tourer
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I must admit I did not get the responses regarding this that I was expecting --- hmmm?!

Old 05-21-2016, 11:01 AM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,272 Likes on 11,143 Posts

Originally Posted by woodmnctry
I must admit I did not get the responses regarding this that I was expecting --- hmmm?!
Sooo....what were you expecting?

I agree that if you are having a hired wrench tune your bike, then go with what he is most knowledgeable.

FWIW...a dealer did my Stage 2 upgrade and tuned it with the SEPST...and I'm happy with it.

Old 05-21-2016, 11:11 AM
tibadoe
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 33 Posts

When I had my Stage I installed I went with the SEST. 7 years later no issues.

Quick Reply: Screaming Eagle Super Tuner???