Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

When did you know it was time?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2016, 12:36 PM
RedOregon
Tourer

Received 126 Likes on 82 Posts

Just do it, man. I sold the 'Glide when my (titanium) knee wobbled bad on a sand patch once and I thought, man, if that bike comes down on that leg it'll be all over. Five years later the ol' lady saw the Freewheeler demo rides up in Sturgis and insisted I take it out... I've got my second wind. Trike every bit as good as the bike was, maybe even a little better since no more hassles at stoplights or in stop and go traffic. Quit thinking about it and pull the trigger, you won't look back.

The following users liked this post:
Clint44 (05-25-2016)
Old 05-25-2016, 01:12 PM
Snoviper
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would definitely look at the Tri-Glide or Free wheeler option in the future, they do look like a lot of fun. I decided to go two wheels at least one more time, but next time who knows.

Old 05-25-2016, 02:40 PM
Alakazam
Novice
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm 71 and have been riding about 55 years but we got to that stage in life where the wife has had a knee replacement, couple of foot surgeries. We've been through rotator cuff surgery and I have a flaky heart valve. It was time to put 2 wheels away and get a tri-glide if we wanted to keep the knees in the breeze.

We purchased a 15 last year and have not looked back, like others have said, no stress. Do I still miss 2 wheels, you betcha but would not go back.

Old 05-25-2016, 04:30 PM
Cowboy Rob
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 2,573 Likes on 1,497 Posts

Just wanted to thank everyone for offering their advice. Right now it's probably between a smaller bike or a trike.

Old 05-25-2016, 05:22 PM
Clint44
Road Warrior
Received 660 Likes on 411 Posts

Originally Posted by Cowboy Rob
Just wanted to thank everyone for offering their advice. Right now it's probably between a smaller bike or a trike.
Or,go first class and convert your CVO.

The following 3 users liked this post by Clint44:
crnt918 (07-10-2016), CVOJOE (06-27-2016), Fearless (old nickname) (05-25-2016)
Old 05-25-2016, 06:45 PM
Helen Wheels
Extreme HDF Member
Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Cowboy Rob
I'm currently looking at my future on 2 wheels possibly ending. It's getting harder and harder to ride my limited. I have resorted to taking my tour pak off to rid some weight off the bike to help my leg. It's also very hard for me to get my leg over the seat also when the tp is mounted. I've ridden a trike and it's much easier for me to step up and over with my leg,rather than contorting it awkwardly on a 2 wheel bike. After my motorcycle accident,my leg doesn't have the strength it used to,and add to that a bad back.

When my brand new CVO gave me a problem at the beach a couple of years ago,they gave me the last bike they had to ride as a rental,it was a trike. I had an absolute blast,I probably put more miles in a couple of days on the trike than I have in years. I just wonder if it was fun,because it was different and a rental,but I really wonder if I would like to actually own one. I really hate the idea of leaving 2 wheels,but understand it could prolong my riding. Forgive the long winded post,just a little bummed sitting here. So I thought I would pick the brain of other trike riders to see what reasons steered you towards 3 wheels. Now if the MoCo could only make a CVO Tri Glide...
Awww Rob..God bless you my friend..For one I commend you on being a manly man! But dont risk your life because of it. if you have to get a trike then so be it..we did our time and arent spring chickens anymore, as hard that is to accept sometimes. but when you think of what we put our bodies thru fo 50+ years, somethings bound to give! Go with the trike and be proud of all you accomplished over the years. you earned it!

Old 05-25-2016, 08:11 PM
Cowboy Rob
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 2,573 Likes on 1,497 Posts

Originally Posted by Clint44
Or,go first class and convert your CVO.
That is an option,just wish the MoCo would offer one to really tempt me.

Originally Posted by Helen Wheels
Awww Rob..God bless you my friend..For one I commend you on being a manly man! But dont risk your life because of it. if you have to get a trike then so be it..we did our time and arent spring chickens anymore, as hard that is to accept sometimes. but when you think of what we put our bodies thru fo 50+ years, somethings bound to give! Go with the trike and be proud of all you accomplished over the years. you earned it!
Great to hear from you,thanks for the kind words my friend

Old 05-25-2016, 08:44 PM
Fearless (old nickname)
Road Master
Received 115 Likes on 103 Posts
Default Clint has a point!

Transformer Hannigan one of a kind look at them you have a ride which is part of the family now. You can keep for a very long time helping to make the transition just sayin. ride safely fearless

P.S. getting there safely is really what it is all about, still in the wind

Last edited by Fearless (old nickname); 05-25-2016 at 08:46 PM.
Old 05-25-2016, 09:15 PM
PRrdglide
Road Master
Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts

All I can say is that i look for any excusse to ride the tri . Oh i think ill go to the store to get a case of water , a bottel at a time :-). Did I say its just fun to ride.

Old 05-25-2016, 10:05 PM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,569 Likes on 1,635 Posts

Early last year (spring) my riding partner and I were coming home from trailer a hot rode down to TX and we stopped at a dealer somewhere in IL.

They had a Tri-Glide that was accessorized as if it was a CVO!
I told the salesman that we had an empty trailer and that my friend might be tempted if the price was right. It was still in the $ 50 grand price range, not including sales tax!

My friend called his wife and she said "whatever you think"! If it had been a prettier color, that trailer might have been loaded when it got home.

Quick Reply: When did you know it was time?