Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

When did you know it was time?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2016, 01:11 PM
krub6t9
Extreme HDF Member
Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

When my girlfriend said she wanted one and she would pay half

Old 05-27-2016, 06:05 PM
cajunlowrider
Road Master
Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

I won't start another thread but say that I'm facing the same delima. Physically, I am small of stature and have an Ultra Limited. I've taken lots of classes and my skills are vastly improved.

But I've dropped it three times with my wife on it: once in the garage, once when I forgot to raise the kickstand at a gas station and once trying to park in a severely slanted parking spot.

All three were bonehead moves on my part; not proof that I can't handle the bike. If I thought I couldn't handle it, the decision would be easy. No problems on the twisties at speed.

So we rode a Tri Glide today. I was looking for the handle to lower the blade. Felt like a lawn mower to me. I don't think my wife was crazy about it, but she made clear that she'd feel safer on it.

Triking my bike would be cost prohibitive. I'm considering this:https://www.tiltingmotorworks.com

Thinking also about a cheap Goldwing trike and getting a 2 wheel bike for me.

You guys seem to love your trikes, so maybe I'm just fighting it. I'm 56, but i've only been riding a year. HELP!!!

Old 05-27-2016, 07:46 PM
graygoat
Road Master
Received 221 Likes on 187 Posts

cajun, how long of a ride did you do on the Tri? A demo ride is not enough, I would suggest spending the $ to rent one for a day (or even 2). After that you will have a much better idea if it is for you or not. Good luck in what ever you do.

Old 05-27-2016, 07:51 PM
Cowboy Rob
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 2,565 Likes on 1,497 Posts

Originally Posted by graygoat
cajun, how long of a ride did you do on the Tri? A demo ride is not enough, I would suggest spending the $ to rent one for a day (or even 2). After that you will have a much better idea if it is for you or not. Good luck in what ever you do.
I'm no expert by any means,but I agree. When they gave me the trike as the rental the first 10 minutes or so scared the crap out of me. Two hours later I was fine,by the time I turned it back in to the dealer a few days later I was on cloud nine.

Old 05-28-2016, 08:06 AM
cajunlowrider
Road Master
Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

We rode for about an hour. Back roads. Interstate. I never felt intimidated by it or like I couldn't handle it. I just didn't like it.

Talked to my wife more about it last night. She's cool staying on two wheels. I think my aversion to the trike is two things: a) that I've only been on two wheels for a year, so it's still new, exciting and fun for me; b)a silly notion that only the old, injured and infirm ride trikes.

Low cost used GW trike (sounds like the early Tri-Glides had major issues from reading here and elsewhere) and a cool 2 wheeler is probably the best compromise. But for now, I love my bike and I'll keep riding it.

These forums are so great!

Old 05-28-2016, 05:14 PM
PRrdglide
Road Master
Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts

You have to like what you ride or it will stay parked. For me I'm having a great time with the trike. My kids even tell me I look like I'm having fun. I liked my limited a lot but I could talk myself out of a ride. Now Im back to ride for any excuse .

The following 2 users liked this post by PRrdglide:
cajunlowrider (05-28-2016), Fearless (old nickname) (05-28-2016)
Old 05-29-2016, 05:45 AM
hapbob
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Yea

I was thinking my last bike would be a trike...After some thought I sold my road King and bought a trike thinking it was my last Harley. I could have bought another two wheel and been fine. What I discovered was this Trike is just as much fun or more than a two wheel. And a big thing at my age now is the security of the trike. So many situations where a trike is no problem and two wheels would have a pucker factor to it. Turn arounds in tight spot, gravel on corners, high winds, wife on back, and many more where I catch my self thinking I have a trike this will be no problem. I have my last Harley a trike but its not so much I cant handle a two wheel any more its I want the security and its fun to ride to boot !!

Hap

The following 3 users liked this post by hapbob:
cajunlowrider (05-29-2016), CVOJOE (06-27-2016), krub6t9 (05-31-2016)
Old 05-30-2016, 03:51 PM
brute force
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No real reason here. Wife and I just think they would be fun and always wanted to try one. I'm healthy, probably one of the youngest on this forum (54) and had no problem with our Electra glide. We picked up a 2016 two tone red last week and put 200 miles on this weekend. Because I've been riding an atv on the roads up here in Maine, I had very little learning curve. It sure is different but fun.

Attached Thumbnails When did you know it was time?-image.jpeg  
Old 05-30-2016, 04:57 PM
Raxus
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by brute force
No real reason here. Wife and I just think they would be fun and always wanted to try one. I'm healthy, probably one of the youngest on this forum (54) and had no problem with our Electra glide. We picked up a 2016 two tone red last week and put 200 miles on this weekend. Because I've been riding an atv on the roads up here in Maine, I had very little learning curve. It sure is different but fun.
Not the youngest bud 50 here and got my first TG when I was 48. Think there is one guy a little younger than us that rides one as well but yeah..we are definitely the young bucks on here (for trikes) hehe

Rax

Old 05-30-2016, 11:35 PM
IllinoisCheesehead
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by brute force
No real reason here. Wife and I just think they would be fun and always wanted to try one. I'm healthy, probably one of the youngest on this forum (54) and had no problem with our Electra glide.
Originally Posted by Raxus
Not the youngest bud 50 here and got my first TG when I was 48. Think there is one guy a little younger than us that rides one as well but yeah..we are definitely the young bucks on here (for trikes) hehe

Rax
Got ya both beat! 43 here and bought my first TG this past March. Best decision ever. Without getting into details, it was getting increasingly more difficult for me to handle a big heavy two wheeled tourer at slow speeds with my wife on the back. Got to the point where we just didn't ride because neither of us was comfortable anymore. The trike has been completely liberating. We've ridden more in the last 2 months than in the last 2 years. We just hop on and ride. No worries!

Quick Reply: When did you know it was time?