Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Pic Heavy 2016 Ride Report - 40 Days Following the Front Wheel

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2016, 10:27 AM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,895 Likes on 2,551 Posts

Great pics and write up, big thanks for taking the time. Till the next one........

Old 08-17-2016, 01:22 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,931 Likes on 2,288 Posts

I've just posted a post-trip accounting of how the Tri-Glide fared during the trip in the Project Tri-Glide thread. You can see it HERE.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 08-17-2016, 02:08 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor

Originally Posted by lah2420
You went through some of our stomping grounds around Hot Springs. West of there is some nice riding, as well as the road you took into town. You are correct about the tourist traffic going through town. Sad thing is that so many have moved to that area that the traffic is that bad in or out of tourist season. We just took a little day trip there a couple of weekends ago to eat at the Brick House Grill in the downtown area. 15% chance of rain turned into a downpour nearly all the way home. I can't believe the lack of traffic both on 30 and 40. The only time I have seen either one that empty was late at night. Glad you made it home safely and thanks for taking us on the trip with you.
Yeah, traffic was pretty congested there. I've read about how your TG attract the rain.

I don't remember being on 30 before, but 40 had spots there were empty of traffic, then other spots where it was pretty heavy, especially the closer I got to West Memphis.

Glad you enjoyed!

Originally Posted by Dmdrone
Thanks for taking us on that trip I really injoyed yalls report Dan
Cool! Glad you enjoyed!

Originally Posted by Imold
First ride up there was on an old 50cc push rod Honda (4 speed w/clutch, conventional gas tank on top, not the step through no clutch thing). Little Honda, screaming in first gear... Been up there on other, bigger bikes, too. Late 70's? I got a non running Trail 90, did a frame up and had some fun with it; lived in Arizona then. Good bike for really rough stuff, you can carry it... Would have been a food little bike to learn on for my daughter, she doesn't have a light touch and still occasionally messes up with a clutch. But I didn't keep it, was before she was born anyway.

Many times on 7 'tween Dardanelle and Hot Springs. At least twice in winter, closest I ever came to a snow death, too. Clear road, leaning hard on a curve at around 60, and on the shade side, a few inches of snow. Went the farthest I've ever gone sideways on a bike, on the edge of a drop off with no rails, and somehow came out and straightened up without going down. On a summer run, went in the turn too fast, around 90, went down on the front tire, handlebar, and something metal in back, and got back up around 50-60. Must have been an angel picked me up, I was never that good. I should have taken a pic of that grip ground off to the bar. Ever see concrete grinding metal an inch from your hand? Bit scary.

Some highway 7 pics from my Army days, on a Honda 305 Super Hawk - that's the one I did the slides on. Yeah, it was a bit chilly on a naked bike with the cheap clothes I had then.

Very cool pics!

I've never ridden one of the old pushrod Hondas.

I am familiar with the 305. A neighbor had one when I was a kid. That bike was HUGE to me back then.

That's crazy going down at 90 and getting back up at 50-60. Never done that, never want to.

Originally Posted by Fearless (old nickname)
Kevin I cannot express the gratitude in my heart for you and Mary taking pictures and narrating the journey you have just completed. Both of you have done a great service for those who for whatever reason do not take on those adventures. Again simply Thank both of you for the pictures and the adventure. ride safely fearless.
Thank you Fred!

Originally Posted by hardheaded
first i would like to say THANKS! i looked forward to reading your posts everyday. now to the bike, on average how fast did you run it ? how much oil consumed? problems along the way ? looks as though you kept the speeds up qiute a bit on the highways. glad you are home safe and look forward to your next adventure.
I posted a post ride review of the TG at this LINK.

Average speed on straights/interstate was 10% over, ranging between 70-90 mph.

Oil consumed was negligible. Details on that and the problems along way in the post report. Engine mount bolt, shift shaft, gas cap cover.

Originally Posted by 5x40
Outstanding journey and excellent ride reports. I'm gonna miss looking forward to morning reports each day. Your trip created some new memories for you and woke up some of mine from over those same roads. Glad you are home safe and sound. Thnx for taking time and sharing your and Mary's adventure.
Good to hear. Thank you!

Old 08-17-2016, 02:13 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor

Originally Posted by graygoat
Big thankyou, Kevin & Mary, for taking us along on your trip! I too, will miss your ride posts!!
Originally Posted by ncdeekay
Could not have said it better. Kevin and Mary, thank you, just thank you! This whole trip that you took us on was just spectacular.
Originally Posted by MCHOGG
I thank you and Mary for a wonderful trip summary.
I have enjoyed your travels the past several years.
God bless both of you.
Originally Posted by COFLHTK
Thanks for sharing your trip with us Kevin and Mary. Karin and I are glad we could be a part of it and we look forward to doing some more riding with you in the future.
Originally Posted by Rockarosa
Really enjoyed the pictures and your narrative. Morning coffee won't be the same. Thank you, Kevin & Mary !
Originally Posted by woodmnctry
Kevin --- what kind of gas mileage did you get ??---------think you mentioned it in a prior post but now I cannot find it.
Thanks
G
Details in post-ride recap at this LINK. Averaged 35.6 for the entire trip.

Originally Posted by RedOregon
Welcome home, brother.
Originally Posted by VB2KDH
Thanks for sharing a great road trip. Definitely looking forward to your and Mary's next one.
Originally Posted by Francois.j
A great trip, I enjoyed it from beginning to end! Thanks Kevin and Mary, you showed me parts of your country that in a way, only a biker can understand!
Originally Posted by Fusionfool
Thanks again Kevin and Mary..It was another beautiful documentation of a great ride. Wish all things could have been better for you, but I have enjoyed reviewing the pics and story behind each adventure, and area you visited.
Thank you for taking the time to share.
Originally Posted by Architect
Great pics and write up, big thanks for taking the time. Till the next one........
Thank you for all the kind words. Happy to hear the report was enjoyed.

Old 08-17-2016, 08:52 PM
bagger51
Cruiser
Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

Great ride report. Looked forward to reading everyday. Gave me some ideas for a summer ride up that way. BTW, just ordered the floorboard extensions from your website for my TG. Can't wait to get them on.

Old 08-18-2016, 09:27 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor

Originally Posted by bagger51
Great ride report. Looked forward to reading everyday. Gave me some ideas for a summer ride up that way. BTW, just ordered the floorboard extensions from your website for my TG. Can't wait to get them on.
Thank you. Hope you make a lot of good memories...and enjoy the Floorboard extensions!

The following users liked this post:
bagger51 (08-18-2016)
Old 08-19-2016, 08:10 PM
Oogie Wa Wa
Road Master
Received 388 Likes on 254 Posts

Thanks, I think we all had a great adventure, I know I always looked forward to the next post. Very inspirational for our next long trip!