Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

How much popping if any is acceptable after Stage 1?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2016, 10:57 AM
holtzd
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How much popping if any is acceptable after Stage 1?

How much popping if any is acceptable after Stage 1? I have a 2014 Triglide that I installed the Jackpot Classic slip on mufflers, Fuel Moto Pro Billet Stage 1 Air Cleaner and the Fuel Moto Micro EFI Tuner. It will pop-pop-pop on decal at about 1900 RPM when I’m in 2nd or 3rd gear coasting up to a stop sign. Fuel Moto has sent me a few different fuel maps to try and get rid of it but none make any difference. I didn’t really think it was a big deal but my wife says it “it didn’t do that before” so she thinks something isn’t right.

Old 05-28-2016, 02:53 PM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by holtzd
How much popping if any is acceptable after Stage 1? I have a 2014 Triglide that I installed the Jackpot Classic slip on mufflers, Fuel Moto Pro Billet Stage 1 Air Cleaner and the Fuel Moto Micro EFI Tuner. It will pop-pop-pop on decal at about 1900 RPM when I’m in 2nd or 3rd gear coasting up to a stop sign. Fuel Moto has sent me a few different fuel maps to try and get rid of it but none make any difference. I didn’t really think it was a big deal but my wife says it “it didn’t do that before” so she thinks something isn’t right.
Unfortunately decel pop can be caused by a number of things. It could be an exhaust leak allowing air in on deceleration, could be a lean or rich condition. Some open baffle mufflers are more susceptible to it than others. Chasing popping can be maddening, I know I don't much care to listen to a pop corn popper when I let off the throttle, I like the sound of an engine just decelerating.

Old 05-28-2016, 07:01 PM
WRE4U
Road Master

Received 215 Likes on 125 Posts

I think it is the nature of the beast....mufflers with no baffles? I kind of like the the pop!

Old 05-29-2016, 09:51 AM
Tryker Dude
Tourer
Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

This is a copy of a post I made in another thread. It may or may not help you but here it is:

I think I mentioned this in an earlier thread a bit over a year ago. But I bought my '09 TG used in 2010 with 9,300 miles. From day one of me riding it it would excessively backfire on deceleration so every time I took it in to dealership for service or warranty work I would complain to service writer. He said he would have tech check it out. Well, needless to say, every time I picked the bike up to take it home I would always be told that no problem was found and what I was experiencing was normal. This went on for a bit over 2 years while still under warranty and the problem persisted. In 2012 I rode with the RFTW and was told by the riders behind me that they could smell gas coming from my exhaust. I suppose that riding in tight formation made it more obvious to other riders. Anyway, to make a short story long (lol) in late 2012 after the warranty ran out I was replacing the stator and regulator and decided to pull up the DTC's on the speedo. What I found among other DTC's was P0118 (Engine Temp Sensor open/hi) which was theoretically telling the ECM that the engine was always cold and excess fuel was being added through the injectors. In the process of looking for an open condition in the wiring harness, I found a broken ground (black) wire right at the connector of the ET Sensor. Repaired it myself, problem solved. Now, it's obvious to me that the techs, in all those visits, never pulled up the DTC's. Or if they did, didn't know what they meant or didn't care to find the cause. Sorry for the long reply, but thought this might help someone else.

Old 05-29-2016, 03:24 PM
screwball
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

When I put CFR Megaphones on our trikes (Tri-Glide and Freewheeler) they tended to run very lean and popped. Also had a hesitation when you hit the throttle.

Bought a set of FL-ides from Keven set them at 3/4 and all is well. Good luck

Old 06-07-2016, 04:42 PM
bigdumbnoitall00
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 632 Likes on 504 Posts

iof u tried a few different maps and they had no effect, i would be leaning toward exhaust leak.