Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Hot tri glide

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2016, 12:05 AM
Fozworth
Cruiser
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by scooterbum46
I can vouch for the predicted results of a stage 1 on a Wethead TRiGlide. I did the stage 1 (listed below in my sig) and saw engine temps drop from mid-200's (usually around 250 with ambient temps in the mid-80's) to around a flat 200, with coolant temps dropping close to the same amount. Mileage right now is averaging about 34.9. The Passenger complains about potholes, cars coming towards us, bugs, thirst, but not about heat.. Note, no dyno tune, just PV /TT, tune from FuelMoto and 3 AutoTune sequences.
You are giving me hope. I don't know if I'm getting a real "stage 1" since I am not clear on what the initials mean in your sig.

What they are going to do is keep my stock pipes but remove the cat, keep the stock mufflers, replace the air cleaner with a "Big Sucker" what ever that is, sell me a tuner, use the tuner and then hopefully I never lose power again and my wife will be happy again.

Thanks again for the encouragement!

Brian

Old 07-02-2016, 01:52 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Fozworth
You are giving me hope. I don't know if I'm getting a real "stage 1" since I am not clear on what the initials mean in your sig.

What they are going to do is keep my stock pipes but remove the cat, keep the stock mufflers, replace the air cleaner with a "Big Sucker" what ever that is, sell me a tuner, use the tuner and then hopefully I never lose power again and my wife will be happy again.

Thanks again for the encouragement!

Brian

It can be even simpler, remove the cat, keep the stock air cleaner, and tune it. The Rushmore bikes come with an improved flowing air cleaner right from the factory, gains from a stage 1 air cleaner are miniscule. On a Rushmore with a stock engine, you are going to get the most bang from exhaust and tune.

Old 07-02-2016, 08:16 AM
Fozworth
Cruiser

Originally Posted by msocko3
It can be even simpler, remove the cat, keep the stock air cleaner, and tune it. The Rushmore bikes come with an improved flowing air cleaner right from the factory, gains from a stage 1 air cleaner are miniscule. On a Rushmore with a stock engine, you are going to get the most bang from exhaust and tune.
Am I doing ok by keeping the stock pipes and mufflers? You think I should have them go to a different pipe and maybe the Street Cannons to guarantee heat reducing success?

If I can keep the pipes and mufflers and have good results it will save money. However, I was told if I ever want to have the trike dyno'd (they are going to "smart tune" it) it can't be done with the stock mufflers due to them not being able to get dyno sensing equipment through the small holes in the factory mufflers?

The "tuner" I will be required to buy will hopefully be user friendly. I'm glad they will use it on the trike first but I hope to be able to use it myself for any extra fine tuning that may be required.

Colleges should create a Harley Davidson course. Seems I have a lot to learn and most of the time don't even know what questions to ask.

Thanks for the free education here! It's very valuable.

Brian

Last edited by Fozworth; 07-02-2016 at 08:25 AM.
Old 07-02-2016, 02:59 PM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Am I doing ok by keeping the stock pipes and mufflers? You think I should have them go to a different pipe and maybe the Street Cannons to guarantee heat reducing success?

If I can keep the pipes and mufflers and have good results it will save money. However, I was told if I ever want to have the trike dyno'd (they are going to "smart tune" it) it can't be done with the stock mufflers due to them not being able to get dyno sensing equipment through the small holes in the factory mufflers?

The "tuner" I will be required to buy will hopefully be user friendly. I'm glad they will use it on the trike first but I hope to be able to use it myself for any extra fine tuning that may be required.

Colleges should create a Harley Davidson course. Seems I have a lot to learn and most of the time don't even know what questions to ask.

Thanks for the free education here! It's very valuable.

Brian
You're always going to get a bigger bang with a good set of slip on mufflers. The Street Cannons will work, they may be a tad loud with a cat deleted head pipe depending on your sounds tolerance. A good slip on is the Crusher Mellows, they have some bark but make nice power and torque.

When having it tuned on a dyno, they may gather O2 sampling several different ways. If they smart tune, they use the existing O2 sensors in your exhaust. Some dyno operators will use blocks that go on the pipes before the collector, they drill a small hole in the pipe and use a rivnut to mount the block which allows them to sample the exhaust gas. Once they are done tuning, they put a screw in the rivnut opening, this all hides under the heat shield. Some will use a piece of tubing which is put through the exit of the muffler and into the pipe of the front or rear cylinder.

If the dyno operator is good at his craft, you shouldn't need any fine tuning once they are done. They should produce a good tune which needs nothing for you to have to do except ride the snot out of it.

Old 07-02-2016, 04:46 PM
Fozworth
Cruiser

Originally Posted by msocko3
You're always going to get a bigger bang with a good set of slip on mufflers. The Street Cannons will work, they may be a tad loud with a cat deleted head pipe depending on your sounds tolerance. A good slip on is the Crusher Mellows, they have some bark but make nice power and torque.

When having it tuned on a dyno, they may gather O2 sampling several different ways. If they smart tune, they use the existing O2 sensors in your exhaust. Some dyno operators will use blocks that go on the pipes before the collector, they drill a small hole in the pipe and use a rivnut to mount the block which allows them to sample the exhaust gas. Once they are done tuning, they put a screw in the rivnut opening, this all hides under the heat shield. Some will use a piece of tubing which is put through the exit of the muffler and into the pipe of the front or rear cylinder.

If the dyno operator is good at his craft, you shouldn't need any fine tuning once they are done. They should produce a good tune which needs nothing for you to have to do except ride the snot out of it.
I'm still queasy on the fact my dealer can't put this on a Dyno. They don't have one. My tune will be with the smart tuner I'm required to buy from them only. If I take it anywhere else to have the cat removed I've been told my warranty is at risk. I called a different dealer that has a dyno about doing this work. He told me they would do it but absolutely not guaranty my warranty would still be good when they got done.

Old 07-03-2016, 02:39 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member

I'm still queasy on the fact my dealer can't put this on a Dyno. They don't have one. My tune will be with the smart tuner I'm required to buy from them only. If I take it anywhere else to have the cat removed I've been told my warranty is at risk. I called a different dealer that has a dyno about doing this work. He told me they would do it but absolutely not guaranty my warranty would still be good when they got done.
There is nothing wrong with smart tuning, as long as the person tuning knows what they are doing. The rub is the smart tuner you are required to buy from them only. The tuner they are more than likely to use is the Screamin Eagle Pro Super Tuner (SEPST). Here is the rub, it will place your powertrain warranty in jeopardy, no matter what that dealer says.

I would want in writing, that they, the dealer. Are going to honor all warranty claims regardless Harley Davidson's position on using this device on an on road motorcycle. Harley Davidson's out is they state in their catalog this is for "Race application only".

A long time ago I grew tired of tap dancing around whether or not I would have a warranty or not, once I made certain modifications. I just decided I would do my own thing and pay up if something was to happen and I had no warranty coverage. I hate to be held hostage by dealers who don't know their *** from a hole in the ground, when it comes to what does and does not impact a warranty. Dealers will try to sell ice water to Eskimo's, they want your dollar and to heck with the consequences you may or may not suffer.

The following 2 users liked this post by msocko3:
Fearless (old nickname) (07-03-2016), Fozworth (07-03-2016)
Old 07-03-2016, 11:38 AM
Fozworth
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Fusionfool
there is a minor lift to the front of the seat if you go with the DELUXE OPTION.
There are bushings under the tank mount toward the seat. This change for me was a benefit as it gave more of a saddle fit, and I no longer felt as though I slide forward. You can of coarse go without the Deluxe option and just the tank lift. I have tried with and without, I prefer the Deluxe spacers. As stated for seat, and to open up more for the rear rocker box.
I put in an order for the 2" tank lift with the Deluxe option today.

Thanks again for posting your experience with this!

Brian

Old 07-04-2016, 10:51 AM
skeeter 250
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ask the original dealer to install exhaust, breather, tuner or whatever you decide. Then call dealer with dyno to ask how much to dyno. You could also bing dyno tuners in your area. The original dealer has no idea the trike was dynoed you still have warranty with that dealer.

Old 07-05-2016, 07:23 PM
Fozworth
Cruiser

Originally Posted by skeeter 250
Ask the original dealer to install exhaust, breather, tuner or whatever you decide. Then call dealer with dyno to ask how much to dyno. You could also bing dyno tuners in your area. The original dealer has no idea the trike was dynoed you still have warranty with that dealer.
So the dyno doesn't leave a "finger print"! That's good to know! Thanks!

Old 07-06-2016, 04:05 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member

So the dyno doesn't leave a "finger print"! That's good to know! Thanks!
The only finger print is the map part number. As long as the person doing the dyno uses the same PN map, they would never know. If he chooses a different map with a different PN, they'll know if they ever hook up with the digital technician for something. Fortunately Harley hasn't caught up with the auto industry yet, a good many of the auto industry know when you've been fooling in the ECM because their system keeps track of the writes. If I was to use a tuner on my 2016 Ram 2500, the dealer would know because the ECM would have more writes to it than their system said it should have. That's how their busting folks for tuning and then detuning before dealer service.

Last edited by msocko3; 07-06-2016 at 04:10 AM.

Quick Reply: Hot tri glide