Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Hot tri glide

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2016, 01:43 PM
Devildog0311
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 70ss
Just bought a new 2016 tri glide, and it is almost unbearable hot to ride. What is the best way to cool it down?
Same here I just got a new 2016 TG. First make sure you shutdown the rear cylinder, It in the settings. It will help at lights and stopped traffic. Point Bat wings down at the eng and make sure the vents are open. This will help in the short term until you decide on the other methods for cooling down your TG.

Old 08-25-2016, 06:03 AM
Oogie Wa Wa
Road Master
Received 388 Likes on 254 Posts

Well son of a gun.

http://www.harley-davidson.com/store...05-26800128--1

For the '17s only as of now. Thoughts?

Old 08-25-2016, 01:55 PM
Muffbrorick
Tourer
Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Oogie Wa Wa
Well son of a gun.

if it fit the '15 I would order 1. That is the spot I feel the most hear coming from.

Old 08-25-2016, 02:54 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,930 Likes on 2,288 Posts

Well son of a gun.

Originally Posted by Muffbrorick
if it fit the '15 I would order 1. That is the spot I feel the most hear coming from.
That should get rid of some of the felt heat, and it may have a small effect on actually reducing heat.

This is something we played with a few years ago. It was not very effective, HOWEVER, the '17's may have a clearer channel to funnel the air away than the pre-17's have.

I have an appointment Saturday morning to test ride a '17, and then to take some measurements, and make some fitment notes.

I'm hoping the M8 engine is going to be starting out with less of a heat issue than the TC's.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

The following users liked this post:
Muffbrorick (08-31-2016)
Old 08-26-2016, 10:23 AM
Zenmoto
Advanced
Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Thought i would pass on some heat related findings and a possable cause.

My wife has the 2016 freewheeler and being in the southern tip of alabama (blast furnace) the trike was unbearable for her to ride for over 30 min from July till now. Burnt right calf, engine temps around 300, i have not purchased a oil temp guage yet. I performed the standard stuff, de-cat the header, power vision tuner and new map. This only dropped temp slightly.

I decided on a stage one air cleaner, reason being, when you look at the stock airbox it completely blocks air flow to the rear cylinder, this caused a hot air eddy to swirl around the back of the airbox and inside of the leg. I ran the bike prior to replaceing the Air cleaner, hot leg and engine temp at 290 after 20 min. I purchased the fuelmoto stage one for the Rushmore intake cover ( she wanted stock look) and it allows airflow to the rear cylinder. We just took it out for an hour, 93degree air temp, bike ran to 278 engine temp and NO more burnt leg.

Not sure if the tri glide has the same air box, if so check out the way it blocks the air flow, can't believe MOCO designed it the way they did (EPA reasons I'm sure) this could cause alot of damage to the engine due to excess heat in a localized spot. Next is a oil temp guage and a few auto tune sessions for the new map fuelmoto sent looking into rasing the tank a few inches to help with air flow over the top of the engine DK Customs has a nice set up for that, anyone have experience with rasing the tank to cool the motor, im doing the one thing at a time to find the biggest results.

Happy wife now.

Last edited by Zenmoto; 08-26-2016 at 10:29 AM.
Old 08-26-2016, 11:02 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,930 Likes on 2,288 Posts

Originally Posted by Zenmoto

My wife has the 2016 freewheeler and being in the southern tip of alabama (blast furnace) the trike was unbearable for her to ride for over 30 min from July till now. Burnt right calf, engine temps around 300, i have not purchased a oil temp guage yet. I performed the standard stuff, de-cat the header, power vision tuner and new map. This only dropped temp slightly.

I decided on a stage one air cleaner, reason being, when you look at the stock airbox it completely blocks air flow to the rear cylinder, this caused a hot air eddy to swirl around the back of the airbox and inside of the leg. I ran the bike prior to replaceing the Air cleaner, hot leg and engine temp at 290 after 20 min. I purchased the fuelmoto stage one for the Rushmore intake cover ( she wanted stock look) and it allows airflow to the rear cylinder. We just took it out for an hour, 93degree air temp, bike ran to 278 engine temp and NO more burnt leg.

Not sure if the tri glide has the same air box, if so check out the way it blocks the air flow, can't believe MOCO designed it the way they did (EPA reasons I'm sure) this could cause alot of damage to the engine due to excess heat in a localized spot. Next is a oil temp guage and a few auto tune sessions for the new map fuelmoto sent looking into rasing the tank a few inches to help with air flow over the top of the engine DK Customs has a nice set up for that, anyone have experience with rasing the tank to cool the motor, im doing the one thing at a time to find the biggest results.

Happy wife now.
Good strategy.

There is no one big thing that gets the temps down, just a lot of little things, that combined, add up to a nice drop.

Here is a LINK where you can see a list of all the things we have done to our own bikes and trikes to cool them down. Each one in the list shows how many degrees it drops the temps.

The Tank Lift will drop your rear cylinder temps by 10-15*. We have thousands of folks running them that have experienced the same.

Old 08-31-2016, 08:54 AM
Muffbrorick
Tourer
Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Zenmoto

Happy wife now.
Yes the tank lift did reduce the felt heat. I think the next thing for me is a power vision.

The following users liked this post:
Fearless (old nickname) (08-31-2016)
Old 09-01-2016, 02:49 AM
sloufoot
Received 4,081 Likes on 3,483 Posts

Well son of a gun.

The fan seems to be mounted off the right heat deflector. The frame seems to have changed somewhat, but you might be able to mod the old deflector to mount. Or make it's own mount.
As Keven mentioned, the tunnel is not clear, but that might be cleaned up some. The fan needs to be quite high volume to make up for some blockage. Maybe even ducted past things that would cause turbulence.
As far as it being automatic, it can be controlled by a snap switch on the rear head, (like FCS fans use) & an off/on switch on the deflector maybe.
As far as the $300 cost,,,,,,??? For a pile of plastic ???

Last edited by sloufoot; 09-01-2016 at 02:52 AM.
Old 09-01-2016, 08:02 PM
Oogie Wa Wa
Road Master
Received 388 Likes on 254 Posts

I was toying around with an idea, looking at 3" ducted radial fans to maybe put one back there with a short section of duct shaped for the space available. They use those fans for race car brake cooling ducts, 12VDC. But yes, routing the hot air out of that area to somewhere else is a problem.

Old 09-14-2016, 06:12 PM
Backdraft161
Tourer
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

My 2016 triglide is water cooled as well. No vents to open below because that is where the radiators sit. I found by pivoting the legs outward the heat is not too bad. Only time it is hot for me is when i stop and go. I rather keep my trike stock. It works for me. I bought it to ride, not sink a bunch of extra money into it.

Ride Safe and Ride Often!

Quick Reply: Hot tri glide