Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Hot tri glide

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2016, 07:12 PM
Fozworth
Cruiser
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Backdraft161
My 2016 triglide is water cooled as well. No vents to open below because that is where the radiators sit. I found by pivoting the legs outward the heat is not too bad. Only time it is hot for me is when i stop and go. I rather keep my trike stock. It works for me. I bought it to ride, not sink a bunch of extra money into it.

Ride Safe and Ride Often!
I have the 2016 also. There are vents below the radiators. Look again.

Also, heat may become an issue for your passenger especially at ambient temps above 90 degrees F.

Old 09-15-2016, 02:59 PM
Muffbrorick
Tourer
Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts
Old 09-16-2016, 08:20 AM
Oogie Wa Wa
Road Master
Received 388 Likes on 254 Posts

A little white lube on the sliding surfaces of for the lever and pivot points definitely make those work a heck of a lot easier. If you're careful, you can even move the angle a little from full open and direct the air where you want it.

The following users liked this post:
Muffbrorick (09-16-2016)
Old 09-25-2016, 09:46 AM
Fozworth
Cruiser

OK, after removing the CAT and adding the following, all of which Kevin at DK Custom provided:

Power Vision Tuner with starting tune furnished by DK Custom (Kevin).

Gas Tank Lift, Deluxe

Rear Passenger adjustable foot pegs so passenger can move feet out of the heat.

Cooling Wing Deflector

I have foot board extensions but have not installed them yet.

Then I added a tip from a poster here to try closing the lower vents. It doesn't seem logical that closing the vents could help remove heat from my passengers right side but that's how I left the vents before taking a trip to Branson, Mo and Eureka Springs, AR.

Long story short our trip included some 90 degree plus temps at times with NO complaints from the wife about exhaust heat. We were both hot like you would expect hot weather to feel like but did not feel like the Trike added to that misery!

We are now VERY happy with our Trike. (2016 Tri-Glide).

Our whole retirement will be wrapped around the huge fun we are having on this thing!

It's been great to have everyone's help and comments from this forum to get me where I am now!

Kevin, I'm glad I found your travel pics and followed your tried and true recommendations. It's great having someone that's "been there, done that" helping me out!

All we cared about doing on that trip is riding the Tri-Glide. We were surrounded by things to do but loved our time spent sight seeing from the Trike the most!

The rest of our lives will always have a Tri-Glide in it.

My only dilemma now is when is it the most economical to trade up to a newer model? Every 2 years? Every 4?

Thoughts?

Thanks again,

Brian

The following 2 users liked this post by Fozworth:
Fearless (old nickname) (09-26-2016), Randy8511 (11-13-2016)
Old 09-25-2016, 10:25 AM
iaff84
Tourer
Received 53 Likes on 25 Posts

Then I added a tip from a poster here to try closing the lower vents. It doesn't seem logical that closing the vents could help remove heat from my passengers right side but that's how I left the vents before taking a trip to Branson, Mo and Eureka Springs, AR.

Long story short our trip included some 90 degree plus temps at times with NO complaints from the wife about exhaust heat. We were both hot like you would expect hot weather to feel like but did not feel like the Trike added to that misery!

Welcome to the "Vent Dark Side"

Last edited by iaff84; 09-25-2016 at 06:00 PM.
Fozworth (09-25-2016)
Old 09-25-2016, 04:53 PM
PRrdglide
Road Master
Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts

Glad you got to see how enjoyable the tri glide can be . I was surprised on what the tank lift actually did. To me it seemed to remove some of the heat .but also equalize d the heat to both sides .

Fozworth (09-26-2016)
Old 09-26-2016, 11:26 AM
Fearless (old nickname)
Road Master
Received 115 Likes on 103 Posts
Default 7 years old and counting

When you have a machine almost to where you want it why go through the expense again and again I will ride my old TriGlide till I can no longer ride and then until I die.
Originally Posted by Fozworth
OK, after removing the CAT and adding the following, all of which Kevin at DK Custom provided:

Power Vision Tuner with starting tune furnished by DK Custom (Kevin).

Gas Tank Lift, Deluxe

Rear Passenger adjustable foot pegs so passenger can move feet out of the heat.

Cooling Wing Deflector

I have foot board extensions but have not installed them yet.

We are now VERY happy with our Trike. (2016 Tri-Glide).

Our whole retirement will be wrapped around the huge fun we are having on this thing!

It's been great to have everyone's help and comments from this forum to get me where I am now!

Kevin, I'm glad I found your travel pics and followed your tried and true recommendations. It's great having someone that's "been there, done that" helping me out!

All we cared about doing on that trip is riding the Tri-Glide. We were surrounded by things to do but loved our time spent sight seeing from the Trike the most!

The rest of our lives will always have a Tri-Glide in it.

My only dilemma now is when is it the most economical to trade up to a newer model? Every 2 years? Every 4?

Thoughts?

Thanks again,

Brian

Fozworth (09-26-2016)
Old 09-26-2016, 04:30 PM
DK Custom Products
Sponsor
Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts

Brian, sure glad to hear you're much happier with your TG, now. I know it was kind of frustrating for you, for awhile. As we all know, Kevin has done a lot of research on cooling down a Twin Cam.

Hope you two are doing well. I haven't seen you posting much here and on TT.

Clint

Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 09-26-2016, 09:13 PM
Fozworth
Cruiser
Unhappy

Originally Posted by DK Custom Products
Brian, sure glad to hear you're much happier with your TG, now. I know it was kind of frustrating for you, for awhile. As we all know, Kevin has done a lot of research on cooling down a Twin Cam.

Hope you two are doing well. I haven't seen you posting much here and on TT.

Clint
Thanks Clint! All is well, just very busy. A huge downside to the "busy" is how it pushed me out of being able to take that ride to the Texas Hill Country you are setting up!

I really hate having to miss that ride! It looks to be the perfect Trike gathering in the making for my area!

I hope you do it again next year.