Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Hot tri glide

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2016, 12:33 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,274 Likes on 11,144 Posts

If it's mostly your right foot, then most likely its the cat. My 2012 is cat less with V&H power duals. I rented a 2015 that was stock and I thought my right foot was going to spontaneously combust. Without highway pegs I had to rest my foot on top of the lower fairing to let it cool down.

IMHO, in order of easiest to do:
- open or remove the fairing vents.
- wear over the ankle boots with thick socks
- highway pegs to get your foot away from the exhaust
- get rid of the cat, either drill it out , or put on cat less exhaust like the V&H
- a good tune. This will help overall temperature and performance...but not your right foot.

I've done all the above, plus more (jag fan assisted oil Cooler, Jason Ward PCS fans...these two are more for general best)...and mine is tolerable.

The following users liked this post:
diamondray (06-19-2016)
Old 06-05-2016, 04:22 PM
screwball
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Here, let me get back on my soap box again. First, the Cat is under your right foot. Unless you are burning the soul of your foot it probably isn't the Cat. Exhaust gas is around 1200* Even if you lowered it by 200* (pretty unlikely) you are still going to feel hot. Simplest, easiest, and cheapest way to stop burning your leg, MOVE YOUR LEG. If you want to drop a couple of grand for new exhaust, tuners, catless header pipes, cooling fans, wind deflectors, Go for it. The placebo effect of spending a whole bunch of money really helps in your leg feeling cooler. A friend and fellow Trike rider complained about the heat, and the fact he was constantly melting his boot on the pipe. Got floor board extenders (about $100) and both stopped.

Good Luck.

The following 3 users liked this post by screwball:
krub6t9 (06-06-2016), rubberfrog (06-05-2016), Tryker Dude (06-14-2016)
Old 06-05-2016, 06:05 PM
brerrabbit
Advanced
Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by screwball
Here, let me get back on my soap box again. First, the Cat is under your right foot. Unless you are burning the soul of your foot it probably isn't the Cat. Exhaust gas is around 1200* Even if you lowered it by 200* (pretty unlikely) you are still going to feel hot. Simplest, easiest, and cheapest way to stop burning your leg, MOVE YOUR LEG. If you want to drop a couple of grand for new exhaust, tuners, catless header pipes, cooling fans, wind deflectors, Go for it. The placebo effect of spending a whole bunch of money really helps in your leg feeling cooler. A friend and fellow Trike rider complained about the heat, and the fact he was constantly melting his boot on the pipe. Got floor board extenders (about $100) and both stopped.

Good Luck.
What he said!

krub6t9 (06-06-2016)
Old 06-05-2016, 09:00 PM
WRE4U
Road Master

Received 215 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by brerrabbit
What he said!

krub6t9 (06-06-2016)
Old 06-06-2016, 05:06 PM
Fusionfool
Road Captain
Received 66 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Fearless (old nickname)

Shiney set to go all cooled off Power Vision is my choice.

There is a long list of things that can be done some large some small I love the changes I have made. a good tuner which ever you choose would be a great start. A great goup of people more than will to help on these threads spend time reading stickies. Ask questions I'm sure you will get a volume of help. good luck and enjoy fearless
I also have a Power Vision and agree 100%, also many other mods like V&H Power Duals, Wards Fans, Discreet Breather system, wind deflectors, ext but the biggest change came with the Power Vision, I watched the engine temp go from 270° to rarely over 250° once Auto tune did its job. I had always thought I had a good tune, bike ran good, everything seemed great. Then I saw a demo of what information the power vision could show you about your bike. I was convinced I wanted one. Easy connection, easy to learn, and immediate improvements over any previous tune with V&H tuner. Well worth the money spent.

Old 06-07-2016, 12:10 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,940 Likes on 2,295 Posts

Originally Posted by 70ss
Just bought a new 2016 tri glide, and it is almost unbearable hot to ride. What is the best way to cool it down?
Congrats on your new ride!

There are many things you can do, they all add up to a pretty significant difference.

There is no one thing to do to take if from where it is to where you will be comfortable (and where damage is not being done to the engine), however, as some have mentioned the Power Vision is a strong contributor. You can read more on it HERE.

Before spending any money....Here is a link to a write up "Why & How to Cool Down a Twin Cam Engine" I suggest taking a little time to read it, it will really help you pin-point where you want it cooled down, and the different things you can do that range from free, to low cost, all the way up to higher costs.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

The following 4 users liked this post by DK Custom:
Dave15 (06-16-2016), Fearless (old nickname) (06-07-2016), Fozworth (06-09-2016), Terly (06-11-2016)
Old 06-07-2016, 10:20 PM
Oogie Wa Wa
Road Master
Received 388 Likes on 254 Posts

This Harley heel guard sure helped me out a lot; plus no more melted boot on the exhaust shield. When I added the 1" footboard spacers, I added 7/8" spacers on this, moving it back towards the trike, away from the footboard, back to nearly it's original position. More room that way. My goofy feet point out naturally, so I also extended out the width of the brake pedal and the front shifter peg.

Fearless (old nickname) (06-08-2016)
Old 06-08-2016, 08:27 AM
Fusionfool
Road Captain
Received 66 Likes on 53 Posts
Default Foot pegs can help

Foot pegs have a few good benefits. I use the heel toe HD foot pegs to get my leg extended, with out them I would be in major pain from my knee. The other benefit is it gets your feet and leg away from the exhaust and motor, doing two things, allowing the air to cool your leg and foot obvious, but also allows more air to the engine, and exhaust for cooling.
Hot tri glide-heel_toe_l.jpgHot tri glide-heel_toe_r.jpg

Old 06-09-2016, 10:39 AM
Fozworth
Cruiser
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by DK Custom
Congrats on your new ride!

There are many things you can do, they all add up to a pretty significant difference.

There is no one thing to do to take if from where it is to where you will be comfortable (and where damage is not being done to the engine), however, as some have mentioned the Power Vision is a strong contributor. You can read more on it HERE.

Before spending any money....Here is a link to a write up "Why & How to Cool Down a Twin Cam Engine" I suggest taking a little time to read it, it will really help you pin-point where you want it cooled down, and the different things you can do that range from free, to low cost, all the way up to higher costs.
Kevin,

I have a 2016 Tri-Glide. Does it NOT have an oil cooler? What items did you install on your Tri-Glide and are the items "do it yourself" or would I need to find a Dealer that would install non- Harley products?

Thanks,

Brian

Old 06-09-2016, 11:19 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,940 Likes on 2,295 Posts

Originally Posted by Fozworth
Kevin,

I have a 2016 Tri-Glide. Does it NOT have an oil cooler? What items did you install on your Tri-Glide and are the items "do it yourself" or would I need to find a Dealer that would install non- Harley products?

Thanks,

Brian
Hi Brian,

The 2016 does not have an oil cooler. It has a water pump for the liquid cooled heads where HD normally puts an oil cooler. On the watercooled they have a higher compression, which creates more heat than the air cooled. So the oil and all portions of the engine, except the liquid cooled heads, are even Hotter on the Twin-Cooled engines than the air-cooled.

I have done quite a few things to cool down my 2014 TG (which is essentially the same as your 2016), all of them do it yourself, none need to be done by the dealer.

You can see a report of what all I have done at these two links-

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/tri-g...fferences.html

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/tri-g...s-of-pics.html

Here is a synopsis, from memory of what I have done to cool down my TG-

Remove the left side thigh protector.

Installed Cooling Deflector Wings.

Removed the Catalytic Converter by replacing the headers with Power Duals

Tank Lift with a Deluxe Option.

Installed an Outlaw HiFlow Air Cleaner with an External Breather System so that hot oily air is not going into the combustion chambers.

Free flowing exhaust slip-ons with Thunder Torque Inserts so the engine is not fighting against the exhaust creating extra heat.

Re-located the oil filter out into the wind.

I'm using a Permanent High Performance Oil Filter. These give superior oil filtration, reduced drag on the oil pump (engine does not have to work as hard=less heat), and the finned billet case provides a small amount of extra cooling. (Will be cost neutral after 10 oil changes)

Installed an Oil Cooler to get those excessive oil temps down.

I'm using the Power Vision Flash Tuner, a good tune will help cool down the engine.

I'm using the Wards Parts Werks fans which are really good in stop & go traffic and also work at speed.

You can see a full report on why & how to cool down your twin cam engine at these two links-

http://dkcustomproducts.com/Why-How-...CL-TC-DN-1.htm

http://www.dkcustomproducts.com/Why-...CL-TC-DN-2.htm

Feel free to call or write the shop with any questions.

The following 2 users liked this post by DK Custom:
Bigiron (06-12-2016), Fozworth (06-09-2016)

Quick Reply: Hot tri glide