Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

rear fender nicks

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2016, 03:14 PM
Gitarded
Road Master
Received 133 Likes on 92 Posts

Fender bras are a pain in the *** to take on and off. I have a set of Saddlmans on mine. I am modifying them with velcro on the rear attachment.

I have not seen anything short of a bra that will stop the scrapes and scratches on the sides of the fenders. I have the 3m Harley set on but that does nothing on the sides.

Old 08-19-2016, 01:19 PM
Hard Ride
Road Captain
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

When someone points out nicks on our trike I just say " you should have been with us on that trip"...Our next trip is a 10 hour ride to Front Royal, Va. The next morning heading back home down Skyline Drive and the Blue Ridge Parkway...Just a little 4 day weekend...

Old 08-19-2016, 06:24 PM
rhino 2
Tourer
Received 94 Likes on 68 Posts

When i bought my first new car.[1964 Barracuda] I was out in front of my house spit shining it... When my Uncle [WW2 Vet] came over to me and said Bob, He always called me Bob' I guess because my name is Bob...Anyway he said Bob why don't you take a can opener and run the first scratch on it.. Then you can stop worrying about keeping it clean and where to park so it doesn't get scratched.. Life is too short for material things.. Then you can just ride the thing and Enjoy it.....
The Moral of the story, At the time i thought he was nuts...
Then in 67 when i got out of Nam... I understood what he meant .

The following users liked this post:
nbrunner (10-26-2023)
Old 08-19-2016, 06:57 PM
DeputyDawg
Cruiser
Received 66 Likes on 41 Posts

LineX!!!!
Can be color matched or contrasted.
Saw one done silver over the bikes red and made to look like flames over the tops of the fenders.
Really looked good!

Old 08-24-2016, 07:48 AM
Casper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 285 Likes on 189 Posts

We just bought a new 16 TG and I'm contacting a high end automotive dealer to get a quote on putting Xpel paint protection film on the TG. If they use it on Prosche, landrovers, and Maseratis it should be good for my trike. If heard good things about Xpel. We will see.

Old 08-24-2016, 09:04 PM
60mike06FLHX
Road Master
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Our local z-bart dealer installs 3M or another product like it. I have it on my FLHXXX and my wife has had it on her last three trikes. We have been very happy with it.

Old 08-30-2016, 01:20 PM
Bandit111
Tourer
Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Casper
We just bought a new 16 TG and I'm contacting a high end automotive dealer to get a quote on putting Xpel paint protection film on the TG. If they use it on Prosche, landrovers, and Maseratis it should be good for my trike. If heard good things about Xpel. We will see.

I got a xpel dealer install it on my 2016 tri glide . works awesome ! I tried 3m but boot scuffs ect would show and you couldn't get it off . The xpel , if left in the sun for 10 minutes goes back to original state .Or wash it with warm water. Only issue is that he had was a tough time applying it , as so the edges would not peel back around the curves !

Good luck , great product

Bandit

Old 08-30-2016, 05:36 PM
roadking2000
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 127 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by questor
Just returned from a 6,496 mile trip out west and ended up with serious nicks on both rear fenders. Down to bear metal, for sure a paint job is needed.

My question, does mother put some type of protective coating?

What if anything have you done to protect them from loose gravel etc?
3M on my trikes fenders and it has saved them from a lot of chips.

Old 08-30-2016, 05:43 PM
so60
Club Member
Received 75 Likes on 52 Posts
Smile +1 for Xpel

I had a local guy that does Xpel on Jaguar, Lexus and other top line cars for dealers, cover my 2016 Trike. He has not done much Motorcycle work, but after looking at my Tr-Glide, he decided to give it a try. He did the fenders, side panels and flat area between fender and covers, front fender, front fairing (in 2 pieces) the lowers (hardest part to install),the headlight and aux lamps and the rub area on the back side of the gas tank.

When he was cutting the pieces out he made the rear fenders longer and an inch wider on each side to get some more of the curved area. This made the rear fenders a little harder to do, but it all looks good to me. Yes, there is a couple of small places with minor flaws, but you have to look in the sun to really see them. I am very pleased. When you wax it it feels just as smooth as waxed paint. Price was $400.00, but I think if he does another one with this many items covered, he will probably charge a little more. Everything is sticking good and no problems so far, been about a month now. I am glad I held off riding much until I could get this done. Nice to not have to worry about small rocks, sand etc. Also nice not to have to worry about getting bugs off the paint every time you ride. Windshield is easy to clean with hot rag and doesn't take but a couple of minutes.

Last edited by so60; 08-30-2016 at 05:47 PM.
Old 08-30-2016, 08:38 PM
MB1953
Cruiser
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by captbob
With a front wheel bringing up small rocks, there is not much way, short of ugly covers or clear plastic that discolors to protect the rear fenders. I think of my rock chips that I repaint with the two-stage Harley paint as "beauty marks". They let me know that I am riding the trike instead of it just being a garage queen and looking pretty.
I know guys with trikes 2 years older than mine that just barely have their 5K service in (and they worry about every little bug and scratch)... my '14 is going on 50K, and I buff it down at least weekly, but I bought it to ride, not to put it on display! I keep mine looking good, but it is clear that it gets ridden.

The following users liked this post:
captbob (09-10-2016)

Quick Reply: rear fender nicks