Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

rear fender nicks

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2016, 10:40 AM
questor
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default rear fender nicks

Just returned from a 6,496 mile trip out west and ended up with serious nicks on both rear fenders. Down to bear metal, for sure a paint job is needed.

My question, does mother put some type of protective coating?

What if anything have you done to protect them from loose gravel etc?

Old 07-25-2016, 10:45 AM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,254 Likes on 11,139 Posts

I'm thinking of trying 3M defender. Good reviews on this, and if applied properly can be removed.

http://www.autozone.com/landing/page...der-spray-film

it also helps to replace the front fender skirt with one that goes lower...or if you can handle the looks one that has a mud flap that goes nearly to the ground.

Last edited by TriGeezer; 07-25-2016 at 10:48 AM.
Old 07-26-2016, 12:30 PM
ISP-FLHTK
Road Captain
Received 114 Likes on 84 Posts

I have been trying to get used to the looks of having bras on the rear fenders. I'm not there yet but getting close. Having a black TG any little chips are going to show up quick on mine.

Old 07-27-2016, 06:36 AM
questor
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This winter, I will have both fenders fixed and painted, then will try the clear coat, the dealer put on our vehicle. Seems to really work.

Old 07-27-2016, 07:02 AM
MikeyTX
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 197 Likes on 167 Posts

Nicks, scratches. You name it, I've got them. Both fenders. Be more when I get back from next week's trip to the pacific northwest. I just live with them.

Old 07-28-2016, 08:31 AM
ISP-FLHTK
Road Captain
Received 114 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeyTX
Nicks, scratches. You name it, I've got them. Both fenders. Be more when I get back from next week's trip to the pacific northwest. I just live with them.

Just curious, if a lot of TG owners are getting road damage on the front of these fenders why wouldn't everyone slap on some fender bras?

I did a quick search and it looks like even the Harley ones are pretty cheap, or at least a lot cheaper than re-painting fenders. If you are a veteran there are even ones available with campaign ribbons and/or military branch designs on the front of them that look pretty cool.

The following users liked this post:
jeffprice (09-03-2022)
Old 07-28-2016, 08:59 AM
1plumr1
Road Warrior
Received 410 Likes on 219 Posts

Put bras on wife's '09, poor fit in my opinion (may be better now) and chafed the paint pretty bad. The '15 has the dealers 3M clear film and has been great for 25K miles. My observation.

Old 07-28-2016, 01:32 PM
MikeyTX
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by ISP-FLHTK
Just curious, if a lot of TG owners are getting road damage on the front of these fenders why wouldn't everyone slap on some fender bras?

I did a quick search and it looks like even the Harley ones are pretty cheap, or at least a lot cheaper than re-painting fenders. If you are a veteran there are even ones available with campaign ribbons and/or military branch designs on the front of them that look pretty cool.
Because they look ugly imho.

The following users liked this post:
dlpuette (09-10-2022)
Old 07-28-2016, 02:38 PM
rhino 2
Tourer
Received 94 Likes on 68 Posts

I was gonna say they look stupid' But ugly is more PC I guess....
But what do i know back in the old days my old man would buy a new car and right out of the showroom he would go to Rayco and have plastic set covers put on' So we would have hot sticky seats in the summer and cold slippery seats in the winter... Then when he sold the car the new owner would rip them off and have nice comferbule seats for his kids to sit on...

Old 07-28-2016, 03:29 PM
MikeyTX
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by rhino 2
I was gonna say they look stupid' But ugly is more PC I guess....
But what do i know back in the old days my old man would buy a new car and right out of the showroom he would go to Rayco and have plastic set covers put on' So we would have hot sticky seats in the summer and cold slippery seats in the winter... Then when he sold the car the new owner would rip them off and have nice comferbule seats for his kids to sit on...
Yup. You said what I was trying to be polite and not say. Unless the trike is totally trashed, or: looks like it was sand blasted, they won't give you more for it in trade than the next dealership.

Quick Reply: rear fender nicks